USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

robert60446

Hi guys,

I got this Rifle Expert and Pistol Expert badges today, I’m assuming these are from Vietnam era, am I correct?

post-2829-1208015671.jpg

this style has been used for decades, so to pinpoint an exact timeframe, exactly, is quite tough

robert60446
this style has been used for decades, so to pinpoint an exact timeframe, exactly, is quite tough

Hi Brig,

Can Ser. number be a guidence here?

Hi the marking of 1/20th silver filled usually places insignia in the era of 1968 ish and up through the 1970's or early 1980's brian

robert60446
Hi the marking of 1/20th silver filled usually places insignia in the era of 1968 ish and up through the 1970's or early 1980's brian

Great info! Thanks Brian!

teufelhunde.ret

yes, and private purchase... not issue type.

• 5 weeks later...

Asked this in the previous post, but I'll add it here.

Can someone tell me during which years the crossed Krag expert rifleman badge was used?

robert60446
Asked this in the previous post, but I'll add it here.

Can someone tell me during which years the crossed Krag expert rifleman badge was used?

I think these were introduced and in use during WWI or even slightly before…

I think these were introduced and in use during WWI or even slightly before…

They were introduced in the early 1900's when the Krag was in use. These badges are a bit scarce now and were replaced some time after 1903 springfield was adopted. As usual though, the earlier Krag badges were still being issued for years afterward until supplies ran out or manufacturers finally ceased production. Also, those soldiers that had the earlier design badges continued to wear them well after the Krag was no longer issued.

CB

robert60446
They were introduced in the early 1900's when the Krag was in use. These badges are a bit scarce now and were replaced some time after 1903 springfield was adopted. As usual though, the earlier Krag badges were still being issued for years afterward until supplies ran out or manufacturers finally ceased production. Also, those soldiers that had the earlier design badges continued to wear them well after the Krag was no longer issued.

CB

Good info! Thanks CB. thumbsup.gif

Here is more:

During the ten years (1894-1904) of Krag production less than 500,000 arms were completed and changes to reduce costs and facilitate ease of manufacture resulted in non-interchangeability of parts requiring many new model designations. All were manufactured at Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. Similarly with improvements to the smokeless-powder base, which effected trajectory, front and rear sights were recalibrated often, requiring again, many rear sight model designations.

Though short lived, the discoveries through trial and error, experiments with prototypes and in field usage during the Spanish-American War, Boxer Rebellion and Philippine Insurrection, gave the foundation to U.S. military shoulder arms that we have today.

The part I am curious about is that they were used long after the '03 was issued. I wonder if it's possible that they could have been issued or bought in the 1920s.

• 2 months later...

How can you date sharpshooter badges in general? I have one that I don't have a clue about, if you don't mind me asking.

-Ski

How can you date sharpshooter badges in general? I have one that I don't have a clue about, if you don't mind me asking.

-Ski

There are no hard and fast rules but I have noticed the following:

C clasps are the earliest ranging from the early 1900s until the 1920s

Safety Pin catches range from around 1914 (lots of Rock Island pieces dating to 1914 have safety pin catches)- WWII

Rolling block clasps are roughly 1930s-WWII (this is in exception to the "falling block" clapss of the late teens)

Hope this helps,

Ken

There are no hard and fast rules but I have noticed the following:

C clasps are the earliest ranging from the early 1900s until the 1920s

Safety Pin catches range from around 1914 (lots of Rock Island pieces dating to 1914 have safety pin catches)- WWII

Rolling block clasps are roughly 1930s-WWII (this is in exception to the "falling block" clapss of the late teens)

Hope this helps,

Ken

Thanks for your explanation. I think mine falls in between.... When were they last worn?

-Ski

post-3043-1216935405.jpg

post-3043-1216935501.jpg