USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

This is just me but I would leave it like it is. The only thing I would remove is something that would further damage an item such as rust.

Very nice badge! I LOVE the ones with the EGAs attached.

.... Kat

downrange troop

Wow this is a high-speed thread of all those old USMC badges. I am a former Marine from 87-91 but a Chief Warrant Officer now in the US Army and this is truly a great website.

I originally thought this was paint at the 6-7 o'clock position but have determined it is solder or whatever was used to attach the EGA. The rest of the STERLING badge has tarnished, but the solder did not. I have tried to remove it and to blacken it with no results. If I am to get it off I think I would need to use heat and probably would end up having to polish the entire badge. If heat and polish to a bright condition is a no-no I could use a colored felt tip or something like that to try and blend in the untarnished area. Any thoughts....leave it be, polish it bright, cover it up with color? Thanks. PS: It will be going on a uniform and it probably would have been kept bright by the Marine who wore it?

badges2.jpg

I say leave it be! Heating it might inadvertently pop the EGA off

the Marine would wear both his expert rifle and 'basic' marksman badge, Great basic badge with unauthorized EGA attached!

Thanks. I am slowly getting this coat "rebuilt". I have attached the basic badge and the expert rifle like a couple I have seen in photos. Does this look 'correct' to you?

mcguire_coat.jpg

• 2 months later...
Nice pistol badge that brought 67 on eBay

Little more than I wanted to pay, but didn't want to let it get away. Picked this one up a couple days later:

post-97285-1349390717.jpg

post-97285-1349390723.jpg

No marking on rear other than sterling.

I heard somewhere that the Marine Corps is doing away with the Marksman Qualification badge and will only use the Sharpshooter and Expert badges in the future. Anyone have any info on that or was that some error put up on the internet.

that was the early practice when the badges first came into use. As a marksmanship instructor myself, and having just worked 3 separate range details for the battalion on 2 different ranges, I have heard no murmur of this

• 1 month later...

here's one I just got in. Multi-construction, soldered not riveted, Blackinton marked badge . Very nice. any idea as to timeframe?

No, but I have one that looks just like this, minus the hallmark. Mine is also C clasp. What is interesting to me is the rifle placement - right over left. Everyother type I've seen is left over right.

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I've just purchased my first older USMC expert rifleman award (Ebay, $21.99), it has Krag rifles and the older 'C' type clasp.

I'd like to know your opinion on this, and a rough date, I was guessing mid-late 1930s?

Were there any hard and fast rules about dateing with Krags, 03 Springfields and Garands? Was this type of award made before Krags? ie: .45/70 trapdoor?

cheers and thanks in advance,

-John

post-50776-0-67004100-1399944660.jpg

There were regs, but they were loosely enforced/followed by manufactorers. C-Clasps were used heavily in WWI. What type of metal is it? These are fairly hard to date unmarked

There were regs, but they were loosely enforced/followed by manufactorers. C-Clasps were used heavily in WWI. What type of metal is it? These are fairly hard to date unmarked

Hi,

I'm not sure of the metal, it's still in the post. It looks like it may be plated just looking around 'EXPERT MARKSMAN', I guess I'll wait and see.

Were 'C' catches used up to and inc. WW2 on these?

cheers,

-John

teufelhunde.ret

Hi,

I'm not sure of the metal, it's still in the post. It looks like it may be plated just looking around 'EXPERT MARKSMAN', I guess I'll wait and see.

Were 'C' catches used up to and inc. WW2 on these?

cheers,

-John

Yes, thru WW2 and beyond as the C catches were the least inexpensive to make... prior to adopting clutchback badges full-time. Without hallmarks and plating present, very likely an issue item.

Yes, thru WW2 and beyond as the C catches were the least inexpensive to make... prior to adopting clutchback badges full-time. Without hallmarks and plating present, very likely an issue item.

Thanks,

so it's probably an issued badge as opposed to private purchase and the 'C' catch was used for over 40 years, that leaves the Krags to get a rough date? Do you know when Krags were discontinued on these awards?

cheers,

-John

• 2 months later...

Hi,

This very nice 1942 Blackinton made Quantico sterling award sold for $59.95 on march 10th...........

A bit like the one Brig showed a while back,

cheers,

-John

post-50776-0-29244100-1399944751.jpg

Hi,

This very nice 1942 Blackinton made Quantico sterling award sold for $59.95 on march 10th...........

A bit like the one Brig showed a while back,

cheers,

-John

Nice one

We have a whole thread on those here...

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/index.php?/topic/41175-blackinton-usmc-competition-shooting-medals/page__hl__%2Bblackinton+%2Bshooting

• 5 months later...

Bought an assortment of misc, mostly 90s surplus, but there were some great marksmanship badges in it. First up, a multi-construction H&H c-clip Pistol expert badge and a basic badge with 5 bars, including a 37mm

101_3135.JPG

rears

101_3136.JPG

• 4 weeks later...

Thought I would add a few shots of my collection.

null_zpse0404147.jpg

Two piece Rifle expert badge

null_zpsfdf01c61.jpg

Two piece Pistol Expert badge

null_zps65c32db3.jpg

Rifle expert badge with EGA

null_zps85a35b48.jpg

One ring Rifle sharpshooter badge

null_zps6fbd3fca.jpg

Marksman badge

null_zpsa9ba1bda.jpg

Basic Qual badge with M1 bar

null_zpsd16d5809.jpg

Expert badge

null_zps480c38e4.jpg

Pistol expert badge

null_zps3c500d44.jpg

• 2 months later...
bunkerhillburning

post-64023-0-04093500-1386215016.jpgHi folks.

Trying to ID a number of medals I have had for awhile. This one is confusing me so I thought I'd post a couple photos and hope you can date the item for me. Simply marked ' sterling ' on the reverse in two locations. The bar on which the words ' Expert Rifleman ' are found has a pattern of circles which are perfectly lined up. Thats throwing me.

thanks

reverse.

post-64023-0-26261500-1386215080.jpg

• 2 years later...

Very informative thread. Went through all 12 pages and I still need help with these two. They were in a framed pre and WW2 era Army grouping. But I believe that these are USMC awards. Can someone confirm USMC and give me an approximate date/age? Many thanks in advance.

Al

post-12790-0-80296100-1450822636.jpg

post-12790-0-25138500-1450822651.jpg

post-12790-0-64599300-1450822657.jpg

post-12790-0-95846900-1450822666.jpg

Here is the framed grouping they came from.

post-12790-0-31875300-1450823260.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I believe there was a time when the Army was using our badges just like the brief time in the 30's when we used theirs. I am sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know the precise timeframe. I will look into it though and report back when I have an answer if someone else has not already addressed it.

I believe there was a time when the Army was using our badges just like the brief time in the 30's when we used theirs. I am sure one of the more knowledgeable members will know the precise timeframe. I will look into it though and report back when I have an answer if someone else has not already addressed it.

Thanks SgtM. I was aware of the use of likenesses of each others marksmanship badges for a short time, but I thought it was maybe in the late 20's. I just wish that I had some provenance. I was hoping being able to date those two badges to determine if they are place holders for originals that might have been issued earlier.

Thanks, Al

SgtMaddoxUSMC

This is borrowed from another thread (I cannot remember which one) but according to it, the pistol badge is from around the late 40's.
post-133515-0-78184800-1450911292.jpg

SgtMaddoxUSMC

I would also venture to say that the rifle badge is around the mid 40's as it appears to be the cheap cast style. Perhaps Tim Brig can let us know what he thinks, he is quite knowledgeable when it comes to these.