USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

gold is associated with the National Guard...that is consistent with WWII era, but I've never seen the red enamel. interesting!

• 2 weeks later...

here are a few mini marksmanship badges I've picked up. the top two are pinback and unmarked. Booth top bars have black enamel background. the pistols have ivory white enamel grips...

second two are screwback, pistol expert is marked 'Sterling'

what era are these? sweetheart, or possibly lapel pins for wear in civilian attire?

Mini_Marksman_1.JPG

Mini_Marksman_2.JPG

Finally, a very unique badge I found pinned inside a gun cabinet at an antique store 5 years ago. Marked on front 'US Marine Corps, Quantico, 1942' it has a small, drooping wing EGA on a red backing, and the dangling shield has a weird looking eagle over top a revolver. Back is marked 'V. P. Blackinton C.O.' on the shield. company mark, I imagine, manufactorer. any ideas on this? all I've dug up so far is that there used to be a lot of shooting competitions in Quantico with unofficial awards, and this might be one of them. some old man at the time told me they were very common, and that he had several, and offered me 20 bucks but I turned him down and have never seen another one since. I'm very curious as to this one :think:

Here is the complete set of badges and patch to go with your badge.

post-7194-1260076352.jpg

Brig said:
very cool...can you tell me anymore about them or provide closeups?

Can't tell you anything about the competition as I have not found any info about. I am sure Quantico must have some record of it. I can reach out to my contact there and see what they might have.

The patch is still easy to find. http://www.warrelics.com/test2.asp?id=D227

I got the whole group off of Ebay a few years ago.

post-7194-1260079942.jpg

Here is the rifle

post-7194-1260081105.jpg

• 1 month later...

In Quantico, FBI and Marines were close and worked together in the early 40's and 50's.Marine gunsmiths trained and tested guns for the FBI.

In Michael D. Visconage's book.

3 rings=M1912

2 rings=M1922

4 rings=M1937

The book was written in 1982 for the Marine museum.Hope this helps.

• 1 month later...

Does anyone know where i can get some replacement rings for a qualification badge?

I have my father sharpshooter badge that has two peices added on. One says carbine and the other says "TD 75-MM". Doing some research proves that it stands for "tank destroyer 75mm". In the research i saw many different types of tank destroyer weapons. Is there any way to tell which one he used? What type of tank destroyer weapon would a Combat Engineers Heavy Pontoon Battalion have with them from August 1944 to September of 1945?

Lewis Leroy Lee

pfc. first class

551st Combat Engineer Heavy Pontoon Batallion Company A

post-10349-1268058042.jpg

• 2 months later...
Which company made this one?

Does anyone think it's American Emblem Co.? Had no luck with those I've asked. The simple logo does not look like an American Emblem Co. example on the web, but it could be an earlier version. Or somethig else entirely of course.

• 2 months later...

here's a JR Gaunt NY expert badge that brought a mere 43...if I didn't have some other heavy hitters draining my fun fund, it would have been mine

_BzSw_f_EWk___KGrHqQOKjIE_N2fDhqdBMVbfQTD7Q___3.jpg

_BzS_FH_EGk___KGrHqMOKnQEw9MocTSVBMVbfdCP7____3.jpg

_BzS_Irw_mk___KGrHqEOKn_Ew7tn4fjEBMVbfl_7Jg___3.jpg

• 2 months later...

Here is the earliest found documentation as to USMC Marksmanship buttons/badge. Anyone care to guess as to what the marksman's buttons looked like? I assume the Army variety of that time period. Need to find a photo of a Marine wearing them.

post-7194-1287548472.jpg