USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

I would also venture to say that the rifle badge is around the mid 40's as it appears to be the cheap cast style. Perhaps Tim Brig can let us know what he thinks, he is quite knowledgeable when it comes to these.

Actually, the crossed Krag rifles are not cast, they are stamped from sheet metal and do not have a flat back. The Expert Rifleman bar is solid with a flat back.

Thanks, Al

• 1 year later...
SgtMaddoxUSMC

Been awhile since anyone's been here so I figured I'd drop by and leave this piece I acquired a while back! Found an image of the Marine in an the August 1919 issue of Recruiter's Bulletin - possibly he wearing the badge in the photo? Here is Colonel John J. Dooley's 1915 BB&B crossed revolvers pistol expert badge. Note: I am unsure why he is depicted as a Major in 1919 but was a Col in 1915. Perhaps he was demoted or the Recruiter's Bulletin just got his rank wrong (which I have seen several other times in that publication).

post-133515-0-81086700-1495322934_thumb.jpg

Another photo of Dooley from the Jan 1918 issue of Recruiter's Bulletin:

post-133515-0-69578100-1495323198_thumb.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

maybe I'm a bit late in showing this beauty but just had too....... if it was purchased by someone here and already discussed then just stare at it like I did/do........ Sold on Ebay some weeks ago for under $50!

It has the safety pin style catch and a fairly common 1903 rifle type that is said to be used right up to and into WW2......... no wonder it's hard to date these!

This is a perfect example of what to use in the reference section, with the date and maker on the box!

cheers, John

post-105780-0-84798100-1497533723_thumb.jpg

Hi,

I'd like to know where the diagram originated from and how accurate it is, just for interest sake... I have used it as a guide but keep thinking to myself "I thought this/that would have been older than that" when checking wings and other badges....... cheers, John

This is borrowed from another thread (I cannot remember which one) but according to it, the pistol badge is from around the late 40's.
attachicon.gifmeyer.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This 5-Bar USMC Basic badge turned up at the Chickasha, OK show this weekend. Unusual to find one like this w/ five Qual bars for Small Bore; Hand Grenade; Carbine; Auto Rifle and Machine Gun. Each piece is hall-marked with the H&H Star logo and sterling. I date it to late 1940s. Semper fi.......Bobgee

USMC BASIC BADGE 5 BAR OBV.jpgUSMC BASIC BADGE 5 BAR REV.jpg

• 5 months later...

This is the earliest example I have ever had in my possession.

1903? USMC Expert Rifleman Badge with Krag rifles Riveted, open "C" wire catch. post-134470-0-52701500-1513333994_thumb.jpg

post-134470-0-72171300-1513334113_thumb.jpg

post-134470-0-10255400-1513334156_thumb.jpg

post-134470-0-44163700-1513334181_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

I have been looking for the earliest example of a USMC RIFLE EXPERT award (with crossed M1 Garand rifles).

Can someone please explain the codes on the five awards that I am looking at, I think the 'SER 395' is early 1960s but not sure of the 719 and 424 on the Meyers awards…..

1. HH SER 395 STERLING
  2. STERLING 12C
  3. N.S.MEYER NEW YORK USMC 719 (in a shield)
  4. CEC2-9
  5. N.S.MEYER USMC 424 (in a shield)

Any help would be great, thanks, John

• 2 years later...
On 10/11/2007 at 7:02 PM, hhbooker2 said:

Lieutenant Colonel William K. Emerson I believe did a book on marksmanship badges - he is the leading authority on such militaria. Major James M. McDuff and John A. Stacey are leaders in the field also! I have the Army of the United States issue which is like the USMC, but mine is all gold. I have Army Regulations for the late 1920s and early 1930s showing the Maltese Cross type like worn now, but knew soldiers who went off post and bought and wore the older style. Also have the USMC with and without the Eagle/Anchor/Globe centered on them too! May donate mine to the USMC Museum at Quantico, Virginia as I am long in tooth! think.gif

post-837-1192154464.jpg

post-837-1192154516.jpg

One of those badges is wrong.

On 4/12/2008 at 11:55 AM, robert60446 said:

Rifle Expert reverse

post-2829-1208015706.jpg

I have the same badge except the ser. is #395 and it's sterling and has sterling clutches, i believe it's late W.W.2 to korean war era the one you have it's 1/20th silver it seems to be vietnam era which they would have used little amounts in silver

DSCN3414.JPG

DSCN3413.JPG

• 4 months later...
On 4/19/2009 at 2:42 PM, Brig said:

here's an interesting piece off eBay. I didn't win it, but it's interesting none-the-less. Someone combined an early WWI era Marksman and Sharpshooter badge. Interesting piece

_BQW1q5__Wk___KGrHgoH_D0EjlLlyn79BJ4hTnwqY____1.jpg

_BQW1tSQBGk___KGrHgoH_C0EjlLlu15ZBJ4hTwUTWQ___1.jpg

Are you still looking for this?

Jim

22 minutes ago, Brig said:

No, I've since acquired one

OK here is his name on ebay  wmcgaughey 

He has quite a few good badges and medals from time to time. Good guy to deal with. Here is the item number he had the badge listed under.#325022461377 

• 1 month later...

Can someone help date these and also let me know if they are all USMC and not police dept etc.

The tip one looks like the older pre WWII style.  I’m not familiar with the 2 hallmarks.

Thanks!

DB3DB776-A626-4C30-BB9E-FB356A795E82.jpeg

431EEF34-D6D4-4AA3-8663-A4B966D3ABA7.jpeg

ED98B00F-DABA-4053-9361-004622195884.jpeg

Basic Rifleman

The makers mark belongs to "Officer's Equipment Co, Madison, NJ. They made insignia during WWII, but these appear to have been made a little later by their CB pin design. Perhaps late 40's before the IOH marks were instituted. 

I think the badges are all good to go, although there does seem to be a bit of crossover in who wore these. I also recall there being some discussion about a distinction in how many rings were on the target. Four for the Marine Corps, three for the Army? Maybe someone who knows better can chime in on this....

Rifleman… thanks.  I was looking for a WWII type for a Rifle marksman.

What about this medal here.. there is no hanging bar to denote what weapon its for. 

Does the wreath mean “expert” ?

Also, can you decipher the qualification listing here?   I can make out hand grenade, bayonet and the last line carbine.. but mot the second or third one.  Thanks

3EBFDBD8-C653-4752-B463-6F1208225317.jpeg

04DAF835-1677-4866-86AD-768E46C7A544.jpeg

Basic Rifleman

This badge is the USMC "Basic" badge. It was used to show additional qualifications, whereas the standard Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert badges were used solely for rifle and pistol qualifications. The wreath is just part of the design, although it does look similar to the Army expert badge, which does use the same style, minus the EGA of course. 

I'm not 100% certain, but the 2nd qualification line appears to be for the "T.S.M.G" qualification for Thompson Sub Machine Gun. I can't make out the 3rd line at all. The 2nd and 3rd line appear to have a "fail" stamp next to them though? 

5 hours ago, Basic Rifleman said:

This badge is the USMC "Basic" badge. It was used to show additional qualifications, whereas the standard Marksman, Sharpshooter, and Expert badges were used solely for rifle and pistol qualifications. The wreath is just part of the design, although it does look similar to the Army expert badge, which does use the same style, minus the EGA of course. 

I'm not 100% certain, but the 2nd qualification line appears to be for the "T.S.M.G" qualification for Thompson Sub Machine Gun. I can't make out the 3rd line at all. The 2nd and 3rd line appear to have a "fail" stamp next to them though? 

At first I thought it was FAIL also… but looking at the last one “Familiar”… maybe the other two that look like FAIL is actually FAM meaning familiar???  I don’t thin this section was for qualification but more for training.. making sure the Marine was familiar with various weapons?  How would you possibly pass or fail with “hand grenade”?

Ot does look like he was “unqualified” for bayonet