USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

Can anyone recommend a dealer in Dallas and how to validate the authenticity of a USMC WWII Sharpshooter badge. I am looking for a vintage badge to replace the modern issue in my father's shadow box. I have some questions:

Does either a mark sterling or hallmark prove authenticity? I've seen pictures of hallmarks from earlier posts.

Were there approved issue badges that were not silver during WWII? In other words, could an authentic badge be made out of another metal besides silver?

think.gif

• 2 weeks later...

I recently picked up this Marine Corps pistol expert qualification badge, but I'm not familiar with the hallmark on the back. It's just an "S" in a shield. Does anyone know which manufacturer it represents? Thanks in advance!

post-50776-0-31264300-1399942452.png

post-50776-0-05064800-1399942463.png

I recently picked up this Marine Corps pistol expert qualification badge, but I'm not familiar with the hallmark on the back. It's just an "S" in a shield. Does anyone know which manufacturer it represents? Thanks in advance!

2f75ed98.jpg

649f1328.jpg

Hi-

I believe this is the Sugarman logo. Unfortunately, I"m not sure when this particular hallmark was used.

-Frank

Hi Frank,

Thanks for the information! I really appreciate it. After digging around a little more on the internet, it appears the Institute of Heraldry assigned Sugarman the manufacturer's code S-1 and S-12. Since this badge isn't stamped with one of those hallmarks, I would estimate it most likely dates from the mid - late 1950's.

• 4 weeks later...
normaninvasion

post-4253-1231614627.jpg

Bought this on Ebay as a replacement for a missing family badge. Looked better on Ebay. Can you guys tell me if this is original WW1. Thanks

post-4253-1231614678.jpg

Can anyone help? I'm not a collector.

hard to tell if it's exactly WWI, but with the open clasp and 4 rings, it is consistent with the WWI issue pieces

That's a match to one I have in a WWII Marine's group.

Bill

it was used consistently pre-WWI through Korea

I just purchased the badge from an eBay vendor because I noticed the hallmark and what appeared to be some patina, but upon closer inspection, the hallmark seams odd to me. I'm also not familiar with the marking Ser 135. Any ideas? The so called "silver" appears to be flaking off too. Weird.

post-3588-1232153523.jpg

post-3588-1232153537.jpg

Ser 135 and Ser 206 were marks used by H&H during the Korean War period

Thanks Brig. You're a wealth of knowledge. I learned so much from guys like you on this board. I am looking for a vintage WWII sharpshooter to replace a lost item in my father's shadow box. I will return it to the eBay vendor.

Does anyone know the score required for expert (EX) bayonet in the USMC during WWII? 1937 Uniform Regulations show EX-Bayonet for a q-bar under a basic badge.

Ser 135 and Ser 206 were marks used by H&H during the Korean War period

The spread eagle hallmark emblazoned "H-H" was also used by Hillborn-Hamberger, New York at least as far back as the 1920s.

Got this on eBay. the pic was dark, thought it might have been a tarnished USMC piece, but now that it's here it looks more like the gold National Guard type. any opinions? also, notice the interesting pin hinge. What era is this thing? I'm guessing WWI or interwar years

NGSS_Front.JPG

NGSS_Rear.JPG

I have soon some with the same type of hinnge and clasp that were Pre WWI dated. They were probably used during the First World War as well.

S/F

John

• 2 weeks later...

at the same time, SER markings are normally associated with Korean era EGAs by H&H...what year did the badge cease to say 'Expert Rifleman' and begin to say 'Rifle Expert' exactly?

teufelhunde.ret
at the same time, SER markings are normally associated with Korean era EGAs by H&H...what year did the badge cease to say 'Expert Rifleman' and begin to say 'Rifle Expert' exactly?

Tim, as I recall the change came about the same time period the Lance Corporal rank was added. s/f Darrell

so right prior to Vietnam. so that would make the above SER marked piece right about then. So SER marks lasted longer than I had thought