USMC Marksmanship Badges

Brig

Asked this in the previous post, but I'll add it here.

Can someone tell me during which years the crossed Krag expert rifleman badge was used?

robert60446
Asked this in the previous post, but I'll add it here.

Can someone tell me during which years the crossed Krag expert rifleman badge was used?

I think these were introduced and in use during WWI or even slightly before…

I think these were introduced and in use during WWI or even slightly before…

They were introduced in the early 1900's when the Krag was in use. These badges are a bit scarce now and were replaced some time after 1903 springfield was adopted. As usual though, the earlier Krag badges were still being issued for years afterward until supplies ran out or manufacturers finally ceased production. Also, those soldiers that had the earlier design badges continued to wear them well after the Krag was no longer issued.

CB

robert60446
They were introduced in the early 1900's when the Krag was in use. These badges are a bit scarce now and were replaced some time after 1903 springfield was adopted. As usual though, the earlier Krag badges were still being issued for years afterward until supplies ran out or manufacturers finally ceased production. Also, those soldiers that had the earlier design badges continued to wear them well after the Krag was no longer issued.

CB

Good info! Thanks CB. thumbsup.gif

Here is more:

During the ten years (1894-1904) of Krag production less than 500,000 arms were completed and changes to reduce costs and facilitate ease of manufacture resulted in non-interchangeability of parts requiring many new model designations. All were manufactured at Springfield Armory in Massachusetts. Similarly with improvements to the smokeless-powder base, which effected trajectory, front and rear sights were recalibrated often, requiring again, many rear sight model designations.

Though short lived, the discoveries through trial and error, experiments with prototypes and in field usage during the Spanish-American War, Boxer Rebellion and Philippine Insurrection, gave the foundation to U.S. military shoulder arms that we have today.

The part I am curious about is that they were used long after the '03 was issued. I wonder if it's possible that they could have been issued or bought in the 1920s.

• 2 months later...

How can you date sharpshooter badges in general? I have one that I don't have a clue about, if you don't mind me asking.

-Ski

How can you date sharpshooter badges in general? I have one that I don't have a clue about, if you don't mind me asking.

-Ski

There are no hard and fast rules but I have noticed the following:

C clasps are the earliest ranging from the early 1900s until the 1920s

Safety Pin catches range from around 1914 (lots of Rock Island pieces dating to 1914 have safety pin catches)- WWII

Rolling block clasps are roughly 1930s-WWII (this is in exception to the "falling block" clapss of the late teens)

Hope this helps,

Ken

There are no hard and fast rules but I have noticed the following:

C clasps are the earliest ranging from the early 1900s until the 1920s

Safety Pin catches range from around 1914 (lots of Rock Island pieces dating to 1914 have safety pin catches)- WWII

Rolling block clasps are roughly 1930s-WWII (this is in exception to the "falling block" clapss of the late teens)

Hope this helps,

Ken

Thanks for your explanation. I think mine falls in between.... When were they last worn?

-Ski

post-3043-1216935405.jpg

post-3043-1216935501.jpg

This looks like a C clasp, so it should be an earlier variety. This sharpshooter badge style was by the USMC used up until the late 1920s/early 1930s when the period army style badges were then used. By the late 1930s, the old school badges were then reinstated by the USMC and have been used eversince (with slight modifications: the newer sharpshooter design with an EGA in the center, the "expert rifleman" becoming the "rifle expert," etc.).

• 1 month later...

I am putting together a shadowbox of my uncle's WWII USMC insignia using period pieces. He was a PVT/PFC/Corp from 1944 to 1946 and qualified as a Rifle Marksman.

What badge would he have been awarded, the Marksman bar or the one with the Rifle Marksman bar and square target? Are there any indicators of a 1944-46 piece such as pin type, number of rings on the target, metal, etc? Photos of what to look for would be very helpful.

I found the info on EGA's to be excellent.

thanks,

Bulldog06

teufelhunde.ret
the Rifle Marksman bar and square target?

thanks,

bulldog06

Yes that is the correct one. There are quite a number of variation on the basic theme - design, all of which are appropriate. s.f Darrell

Yes that is the correct one. There are quite a number of variation on the basic theme - design, all of which are appropriate. s.f Darrell

Thank you for the information.

What sort of pin back would a WWII badge have? Would it be sterling? If this badge was used post WWII, I would like to be sure to get a WWII one.

There is a sterling badge on ebay with post fasteners. It is marked 12C which may be a post war hallmark?

bulldog06

Have to disagree here, Darrell. The USMC Marksman Bar WITHOUT the square target pendant is the correct version. The present style MM medal did not come into existance until sometime in the 1960's. Having missed Sharpshooter by 1 lousy point in 1956, :( I qualified as a Marksman and wore the single bar.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

teufelhunde.ret
Have to disagree here, Darrell. The USMC Marksman Bar WITHOUT the square target pendant is the correct version. The present style MM medal did not come into existance until sometime in the 1960's. Having missed Sharpshooter by 1 lousy point in 1956, :( I qualified as a Marksman and wore the single bar.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Geeez, I should of read that post closer, that he may have been referring to current issue, Bob is right. The attached with the "square target" surrounded by the wreath is the correct basic badge from which qualification bars would be hung. Thx, Bob! s/f Darrell

post_828_1180754326.jpg

Geeez, I should of read that post closer, that he may have been referring to current issue, Bob is right. The attached with the "square target" surrounded by the wreath is the correct basic badge from which qualification bars would be hung. Thx, Bob! s/f Darrell

Thank you all for helping to sort that out. Judging by ebay, the badge with the square target I mentioned is probably current issue.

Previously, I bought a pair of EGA's listed as WWII. Looking at the reference, they are probably post war as they are metal with clutch backs not a screw post.

Thanks for helping me get this correct. I will look for the Marksman bar.

teufelhunde.ret
Previously, I bought a pair of EGA's listed as WWII. Looking at the reference, they are probably post war as they are metal with clutch backs not a screw post.

Yes, the clutchback were of korean era vintage - the badge pictured above is WW2 era. s/f Darrell

• 1 month later...

Gentlemen,

I would like to purchase an original vintage USMC WWII Sharpshooter Badge to place in my father's shadow box. The National Personnel Records division sent me a modern issue when I requested my father's awards after he passed away. I would like to restore the shadow box to as near vintage to pass on to my children. I will post a picture as soon as I receive the vintage items in my search and confirm his Raider participation. Please advise.

Stinger Gunner USMC

I see that you are a new member. The forum has a for sale, trade, and wanted sections that are near the bottom of the forums page. Your request would be better suited for the wanted section of the forum.

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your experiences are enjoyable and educational.

Semper Fi!

I see that you are a new member. The forum has a for sale, trade, and wanted sections that are near the bottom of the forums page. Your request would be better suited for the wanted section of the forum.

Welcome to the Forum, and I hope your experiences are enjoyable and educational.

Semper Fi!

Thanks for the direction, but a message tells me I don't have permission to post in the section you reference. Frustrating!

I think you need at LEAST 10 posts... or more to be able to use this section?.. its somewhere in the forum rules.

Good Luck. !!