WWII Mark 1 US Navy/Army Target Kite

M1A1-1944

I aquired this over a year ago and I assume not a lot of people know about them. This is a Mark 1 Target Kite used by both the Army and Navy for target practice. They were pulled by both boats and jeeps. This one has had two old repairs done to it. The repairs are just as delicate as the fabric for being 60-70 years old. You occasionally encounter the "skins" with either a German or Japanese silhouette but you, as far as I know, rarely see the original kite skeleton, rudder, and cables intact and included. Then again, maybe there are a lot more of these out there than I am aware of. This was made by the Ballard Aircraft Company which was located in West Virginia. I makes a really neat display hanging from the ceiling of the war room. Thanks for looking- Ron

post-4155-1237668365.jpg

I aquired this over a year ago and I assume not a lot of people know about them. This is a Mark 1 Target Kite used by both the Army and Navy for target practice. They were pulled by both boats and jeeps. This one has had two old repairs done to it. The repairs are just as delicate as the fabric for being 60-70 years old. You occasionally encounter the "skins" with either a German or Japanese silhouette but you, as far as I know, rarely see the original kite skeleton, rudder, and cables intact and included. Then again, maybe there are a lot more of these out there than I am aware of. This was made by the Ballard Aircraft Company which was located in West Virginia. I makes a really neat display hanging from the cieling of the war room. Thanks for looking- Ron

post-4155-1237668434.jpg

Nice target kite.

They also came in a Japanese Zero model.The kites can be found the hard part is the metal tail section and cables.

RD