My 1st WW2 37th Infantry Division Purple Heart - William P. Collier, KIA 1943

37thguy

Here's my first WW2 Purple Heart. I'm not a medal collector but when one comes around for the 37th Division, I'm obviously interested.

This one is ID'd to Private William L. Collier, ser# 35009558, "A" Company, 145th Inf., KIA on Sunday 25 July, 1943 while making an assault on Horseshoe Hill in the attempt to capture Munda Airfield. The 145th really took it on the chin during this battle, especially on the 25th.

PFC Collier is interned at the American Cemetery in Manila at the family's request.

Came in the box and has the original shipper box as well. Very happy with this one.

Thanks to a forum member for contacting me on this one thumbsup.gif

post-729-1237667983.jpg

SWEET !!! ANY PACIFIC KIA HEART IS NICE !!! You should sell it to me it would go well with my americal Guadalcanal KIA heart !!!!! thumbsup.gif;)

I've had this PH now for about 4 hours and after the excitement of finally getting it and the fun of posting it here, I've had some time to think about what I really have here.

This not just another cool pair of mint combat suspenders or the best M-1 helmet anyone could ever want.

No, this is a Purple Heart, given to the family of a young man, kid really, who was KILLED IN ACTION while serving his country so that we can enjoy the way of life and freedoms that we all share. Just a scared kid from Ohio that probably wondered "What the Hell am I doing half way around the world on this GOD forsaken Hellhole of an island?"

I cannot imagine the grief and sadness that must have accompanied this small token of metal when the family received it and had to open it. What a terrible feeling that must have been for the Collier family that day.

Don't know what else to say.....

DIDO !!! as a collect i sometimes loss site of the true meaning on these small medals with the pretty purple ribbon!!!!

Its a mothers son ,a wifes husband childrens father !!!!! I sometimes find my self rereading IDPFs and find maybe a note to the army begging for info or to bring body home !!! Its is a sad thing but I try to research them and put a face and a story to the name !! and remember most likely all family is gone now and I now am the care taker for this brave soldiers memory and thanks to sites like this and a great group of collectors they live in my mind forever and there lost is not in vain ! I show these hearts to my kids and to my nephews and nieces and make sure they understand the sacrifices these brave men made!! They have taken many a long car ride to a far away cemetery to get a pic of a grave and to say a prayer at a long forgotten heros grave !@! call me weird but i feel if i can do that or write the cemetery for a pic they usally send it out to me after cleaning up the grave and even repainting names !!! So again he is remembered !!!!

Now you have the bug for KIA hearts !!! and yes they are sad but its a lot sader if they end up trashed !!! so take care of this brave soldiers memory it looks like a super heart !!!

sorry for the serman

write AMBC and they will send you a litho of cemt and photo of grave !!! thumbsup.gif

Hey guys, forgive my ignorance, but what does IDPF stand for? Not familiar with this term, at least not in its abbreviated form.

Thanks for cluing a guy in. thumbsup.gif

Mark

IDPF = Individual Deceased Personnel File.

Next-of-kin may request information on veterans who were Killed in Action, (KIA), and in many cases, can get a detailed file on the handling of the body from the time of death until burial in a U.S. Military cemetery and/or removal to the U.S., and in some cases, information on where the body was re-interred in the U.S.A.

This information is contained in an "Individual Deceased Personnel File (I.D.P.F.), and may be obtained as follows:

Write to the agency below, requesting the "IDPF". on: Veteran's full name; Army Serial #; Unit if known; date and place of death if known; and your relationship to the deceased veteran.

The more details that are furnished, the quicker they can research this information and reply to you. Replies typically are made within 6-8 weeks of receiving this data.

U.S. Army Human Resources Command

ATTN: AHRC-PAO (FOIA), Rm 7S65

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, VA 22331-0400

For those who would like a copy of the IDPF for Soldiers that are listed as Missing, body not recovered, they should send their request to:

U.S. Army Human Resources Command

ATTN: AHRC-PER, Rm 4S15

200 Stovall Street

Alexandria, VA 22331-0482

http://www.508pir.org/archival/deceased_personnel_file.htm

Hope this helps a little,

Erwin

I've had this PH now for about 4 hours and after the excitement of finally getting it and the fun of posting it here, I've had some time to think about what I really have here.

This not just another cool pair of mint combat suspenders or the best M-1 helmet anyone could ever want.

No, this is a Purple Heart, given to the family of a young man, kid really, who was KILLED IN ACTION while serving his country so that we can enjoy the way of life and freedoms that we all share. Just a scared kid from Ohio that probably wondered "What the Hell am I doing half way around the world on this GOD forsaken Hellhole of an island?"

I cannot imagine the grief and sadness that must have accompanied this small token of metal when the family received it and had to open it. What a terrible feeling that must have been for the Collier family that day.

Don't know what else to say.....

Now you got the idea!

There is nothing at all wrong with feeling joy and exhilaration over that new acquisition.

However, one should not lose sight of the fact that, when holding that new Purple Heart or Silver Star, one is actually holding the tangible remains of some serviceman's/woman's blood, pain, sacrifice, death, and/or valor.

Mark

Super heart good luck with research !!! if i can help you in any way with it let me know ? sent you pm for addresses to ABMCs and you could try posting in www.findagrave.com in the forum section for obits or newspaper articles on him I have had some luck with this !!! thumbsup.gif

Thanks everyone. I never knew that it would hit me like it did. A complete blindside! I believe that with all the "things" I have in my collection, nothing holds a candle to the respect and reverence I now hold for this Killed in Action Purple Heart. salute.gif

Are you referring to the 145th in the New Georgia campaign? If so I think I have that info.

Found it.

83 soldiers were either KIA or DOW in the 145th, but 117 for the 148th, plus a few more soldiers for supporting units. It was a tough battle for Munda Airfield which was needed after taking Guadalcanal to protect that newly won island.

A friend of mine once found an old mailing box in the attic of an old house. Upon closer inspection, it was unopened. He was excited about the treasure he might find... So, he quickly opened it only to find the contents - a Purple Heart. The Purple Heart was nicely boxed and named to a young man from Texas. The address on the front indicated it had been mailed to his parents. Apparently it was too painful to open, so it sat in the same mailing box - unopened - for years and years...

Collier's battalion commander (and later regimental CO) was an interesting fellow in his own right, Cecil Brainerd Whitcomb. He won a DSC, SSM, and PH as a sergeant, Hqs, 145th during the Meuse-Argonne in WW I. Stayed in the 145th between the wars and was commissioned. When the Ohio NG was called up in 1940 he was commanding the 1st Battalion (the unit was based in the Cleveland area, Whitcomb was the secretary of the Cleveland Stock Exchange and lived in Shaker Heights). He eventually was promoted to LTC and 2-in-c of the regiment. He received the BSM for New Georgia, and the LOM for Bougainville where he took command of the entire regiment. The regiment's Mortar Section received a PUC for actions on the island. He remained the regimental CO when the division landed on Luzon and through most of the fighting on the island. He received and OLC to the DSC (one of only nine retreads who would win this award in both world wars) and PH for the assault on Intramuros during the siege of Manila. He returned to the States in May 1945 after being overseas for almost three years. Served on the WD staff until discharge for which he received an ARCOM. He was eventually promoted to BG, became the assistant AG for Ohio, retired in 1950 and died in 1970. He and his wife are buried at Arlington, a couple of the yards from the Kennedys. The stone carver almost ran out of room on the headstone because of all his awards, he had to leave out the ARCOM.