T-Bone

Cold War Reenactors? Reforger anyone?

I wouldn't necessarily model your reenactment group after this bunch, but you get the idea. This is my platoon in the FRG around 1988.

post-203-1237680854.jpg

On a side note, at least you don't have to have a lot of people. We were always short. If you count my platoon, you will see that I had 22 troops available at the time. 12 of those are dedicated to the Bradleys, so you basically had about 10 dismounted soldiers for the platoon.

GWB123,

Don't forget all of the field prep time and recovery time. I figure we spent about 9 months out of the year either preparing for, being in or recovering from the field. However we got to see some of the greatest tourist areas in Germany; Hohenfels, Wildflecken, Graf!

Does anyone remember the accident on the thermal range in Graf(?) around 1988-89 (?) involving a tank and a Bradley. The Brad crossed into a live fire exercise and was engaged as a target? I had a medic tell me a story of this and I am trying to figure out if it really happened.

T-Bone

Okay, out comes the photo album...

First up, is a Gamma Goat in its normal operational configuration... broke!

Note that this one has a radio antenna, an orange convoy light, and what looks to be a siren? Not sure on that last one.

This is actually third shop maintenance courtesy of the 708th Mnt. Bn. The bumper markings indicate the vehicle is from 12 Engineer.

Note the soldier on the right giving us a nice rear view of web gear.

I had forgotten about those blue cannisters that we wore with the protective mask. I can't seem to recall what they contained.

Reforger_Gamma_goat_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

would love to do a reforger reenact.
il just need more od uniforms,like the m65 jacket and a few
bits and bobs.
here is one close,only the vb boots should be regular
combat boots.havent seen white vb boots used
in germany on pictures.

cheers ken

Maybe not Germany, but you have got Ft. Richardson, Alaska nailed!

T-Bone

Here's a close up of our rear facing trooper.

Reforger_Gamma_goat_close.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

A couple more uniform shots...

The first is CPT Dan Roh, commander of B/ 708th conferring with an officer from 3rd LOG and a German counterpart. Note that Cpt Roh is wearing German made combat boots.

I am not sure what is going on with the 3RD LOG officers hand guard on his pistol, it almost looks white. Notice the canopy of camo nets which was used to create a drive through maintenance point.

In contrast, and a bit hard to see, is a soldier on a winter exercise checking a radiac meter. He is wearing a British issue NBC suit which was an odd emerald green color. The only good thing you could say about this suit was if you wore it in the winter you did not need a field jacket or a parka... ite kept the heat in.

Reforger_Conference_small.JPG

Winter_games_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Hey guys! The US Army is coming to your town! Surprise!

Actually the towns folk usually knew about coming exercises weeks in advance.

Note the lead jeep has a winterized hard top, while the rear one has a soft top. The CONVOY signs, not in use, are stored in the back of the vehicles. Each has those orange "bubble gum machine" lights mounted.

As for the second photo... this is either E/ 708th Maintenance or B/708th lining up in response to an early morning alert, Baumholder, FRG. This gives you an idea of how much equipment was involved in moving a unit.

Reforger_Convoy_small.JPG

Alert_E_708_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

If you want some chocolate chips, come on over and snag a set from the IA. Many of the guys are wearing that, because that is what was issued to them.

Dent

Dent

That is where I got a XXL-Reg set! The jackets are different though, lighter weight now, but on the out side they are mostly the same.

T-Bone

Camouflage...

The first photo is the trailer portion of a 5,000 gallon fuel tanker. Even with the red fire extinuisher and can, it could not be spotted from the air. It took a lot of practice to get this good.

The second is an example of "hiding in the open".

During the Gulf War, the press made a big deal about Iraqi troops hiding military assets among the civilian population. Well, guess what we practiced in Europe? The yellow vehicle is a US Army Heavy Equipment Transporter that has painted to look like a construction vehicle. We snuck them into the operational areas ahead of the convoys and parked them around in different construction yards. The Mohawks that were flying overhead looking for us never gave them a second glance.

As impressed as our Support Command commander was with this stunt, we had to repaint them when the exercise was over.

Reforger_tanker_small.JPG

Reforger_HET_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

A couple of photos from a field exercise I evaluated. Believe it or not these are maintenance troops!

Who needs the infantry to rescue you when you have the Division Float assets with you? A "spare" TOW launcher being used for perimeter defense. While it looked good, we never did quite sort out how they would get ammunition for it.

Another photo showing the use of a camouflage net for a small position. The only problem was that these nets were typically in short supply and rarely could be use like this.

Note that everyone is in protective masks, but not full MOPP gear.

ARTEP_1_small.JPG

ARTEP_2_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Who had OG 107 Poly/Cotton Pants? Can you PM me.

I need a set of 44 x 33 or 46 x 33.

I seem to own everything else :)

T-Bone

Another of a hasty defensive position...

And then a photo I thought I would just throw in of American dependents and local Germans doing their best to take a perfectly good tank and render it inoperable.

ARTEP_3_small.JPG

Baumholder_family_day_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

A Sergeant Major's nightmare.... mixed formation of OG-107 and BDU's. This was around 1983 during the switch over. For formal formations, they would move everyone who had BDU's to the front, with those wearing 0G-107's in the rear. HHC 708th Maint. Bn.

Mixed_formation_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Signs you normally don't see in the USA....

The FULDA trainstation was take when I was on a trip from somewhere to somewhere. I had dozed off and awoke when the train came to a momentary stop. I hadn't paid attention to the route it was taking and it was quite a shock when I opened my eyes. I thought I was having a nightmare.

Tank_Crossing.JPG

Fulda_station.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Gil

These photos are amazing to me, where I was in the army I could never have taken pics like these.

Heck we were not supposed to have cameras on base.

Why is it I was being shot at in 1988 and yet when I look at these pictures I feel like I missed out on something?

T-Bone

And another scenario for our reenactors...

Allied Checkpoint: Set up a roadblock on a road along a state or county border. Stop drivers and ask them for their identity papers and travel documents. Advise them that they are about to enter the Soviet controlled zone. Advise them they should demand to speak to the US Consul if they are detained by the police.

Checkpoint_charlie_small.JPG

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Gil

These photos are amazing to me, where I was in the army I could never have taken pics like these.

Heck we were not supposed to have cameras on base.

Why is it I was being shot at in 1988 and yet when I look at these pictures I feel like I missed out on something?

T-Bone

At the height of the Cold War, there were over 300,000 troops stationed in Europe (with about that many dependents as well). Compare that with the 120,000 we have in Iraq. It was just a massive undertaking.

That world is gone forever. The latest figure I read was that we are now down to 40,000 troops in Europe with talks of further cutbacks.

When my wife and I were over there 1980 to 1983 we joked about parts of Germany looking like an American colony. There were counties in Germany where 1 in 12 adults worked directly for the US government in one way or another.

Many of the Kasernes (bases) have been closed down or reverted back to the Germans. Most of the troops are now in support roles, providing services to other operations such as Iraq.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after my first two years in Texas. But I had a Major tell me go to Europe, because you will see an Army actually in the field, rather than confined to a base and training areas.

As for the photos.... for having been there for 3 years, I thought I would have had more worth showing. I have another set of slides hidden away somewhere, but I would have to dig for them. I took these when I was in a staff position without direct field responsibilities. But for about 80% of the time I was actually so busy that the camera never came out of the case. Any way, glad you liked them!

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Gil, Absolutely fascinating. Sound like you left Germany 2 years before I got there in 85. Reference Checkpoint Charlie, here is a later shot, from 1987, when I was stationed in Berlin. By this time the East Germans had built a massive "Kontrollstelle"

complex that you can see in the background.

post-146-1237765842.jpg

Kevin

My book, "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" is available on Amazon and other booksellers World-wide: www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067

Check out our Facebook group on the book and all things Desert Uniform related: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Always looking for:

- Saudi camel tongue rank fobs - DCU Uniforms & Patches - AAFES Pogs - Parachute Rigger Badges - Berlin Brigade Items - Pershing Rifles Items - East German Para Items-

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gif
donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

Man, I gotta get busy scanning more photos!

Here's one more uniform that no one has covered: Khakis! I think these were the permanent press versions.

post-9-1237766664.jpg

This photo is of SGT Bill Hancock on the left and SGT Steve Borts (that's me!) on the right on a border tour in the summer of 1976. We were both members of C Company, 3rd Battalion, 36thInfantry (Mechanized), 3rd Armored Division.

Collecting 3rd Armored Division items of all kinds from all eras, specializing in the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment.

A Yakima photo from March 1979:

post-9-1237766894.jpg

I'm on the left, and CPL Larry Mayo is on the right. We were members of 2nd Platoon, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Divsion. Larry was the Squad Leader of 1st Squad, and I was the Squad Leader of 2bd Squad.

Collecting 3rd Armored Division items of all kinds from all eras, specializing in the 36th Armored Infantry Regiment.

Here's one of me at Yakima on the same trip in March 1979.

We had the smaller ALICE packs with a tanker's roll strapped to the bottom. We did a lot of airmobile that trip, and a HELL of a lot of walking!

We had the same blue decon kit mentioned in an earlier post, but wore them on the left LBE suspender as shown. I covered mine in OD green tape, except for the lid.

post-9-1237767135.jpg

Here's one of Larry Mayo and I at Ft Lewis in April or March of 1979. We are heading out on an ARTEP mission.

We carried spare 20 round magazines in bandoleers. We had a curious mix of 20 and 30 round mags and pouches so had to get creative.

Larry wore the standard field pants, while I wore jungle fatigue pants.

post-9-1237767559.jpg

And one more of me on that same ARTEP in the spring of 1979. I used a ka-bar I bought at a surplus store for a field knife, and since I was a squad leader and blank adapters were in short supply for some reason, I went without a blank adapter.

post-9-1237767679.jpg

Reference the little blue NBC decon kits. There were two types. The older one had vials that you had to pierce the top with a nail in the lid and there was gauze to pour it on before deconing your skin. The later version had several blue foil packets of denatured alcohol that you ripped open and did the decon of you skin. I remember these were great for cleaning off overlays that we had used the permanent Stabilo markers on. You couldn't use the real thing in training because the agent was so caustic!

Kevin

My book, "Desert Uniforms, Patches, and Insignia of the US Armed Forces" is available on Amazon and other booksellers World-wide: www.amazon.com/Desert-Uniforms-Patches-Insignia-Forces/dp/0764352067

Check out our Facebook group on the book and all things Desert Uniform related: http://www.facebook.com/groups/DesertUniform

Always looking for:

- Saudi camel tongue rank fobs - DCU Uniforms & Patches - AAFES Pogs - Parachute Rigger Badges - Berlin Brigade Items - Pershing Rifles Items - East German Para Items-

One more photo for the night. Here is a photo in the field of my 1SG (left) and Supply Sergeant (middle) around 1990. My 1SG is wearing the military issue "birth control glasses", the angled flashlight on his LBE and has a lanyard on his pistol although it's hard to see. He is also wearing a compass on his pistol belt, it's in the field dressing pouch. My Supply Sergeant is wearing a knife on his right LBE strap and is wearing an unauthorized "dew rag" bandanna probably made from olive first aid sling. When it was hot they would wet it down and wear it under to helmet to keep cool. Notice everyone's sleeves are down in the summer. No matter how hot it was we were required to keep our sleeves down for camouflage purposes.

post-146-1237768367.jpg

Kevin

Always looking for:

my attempt was the change from the 60s to 1970s.

i can also do a 1980-90 picture,but i dont have m65 jacket yet...

i gues the m65 jacket was more in use than the gore tex?

also looking for a od mopp suit in large regular

and five buckle rubber boots size 9 or 10.

cheers ken

Check out this guy in US eBay SC-LIQUIDATIONS search nr. 300265654083 size 10 "Buy it now"

Wet Weather Boots, Overshoe Size 10, Military Surplus

$4.99 Time left:17d 18h 5m

"Old tankers never die, they just smell that way!"

A co. 4/73rd Armor, 1st Infantry Division (Forward)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gif