T-Bone

Cold War Reenactors? Reforger anyone?

On the original topic posted, I actually run a Cold War-specific reenactment unit. We mainly do Warsaw Pact, Korean War, and Vietnam, but there are a few of us in the unit who also do peacetime US GI (I.E. Stationed in West Germany). I also do German Bundeswehr, as well.

Another one of my primary GI impressions is 46th Infantry Division National Guard stationed out of Camp Rucker.

"In Russia we only had two TV channels: Channel One was propaganda. Channel Two consisted of a KGB officer telling you, 'Turn back at once to Channel One.'" -- Yakov Smirnoff

LOL! I never thought my humble jacket would get so much press!

Yes, that is a pocket. It was fairly strong, but I don't recall putting anything heavy in it.

The nametape on the inside was so that somebody didn't walk off with it thinking it was theirs.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
Specializing in Fakes and Reproductions
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

"One is easily fooled by that which one loves."

Moliere: Tartuffe

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

How about reenacting Bright Star or Team Spirit?

Ted Filer

LTC (USA, Retired)

How about reenacting Bright Star or Team Spirit?

You might want to start a fresh thread on that. This one has turned into a reunion thread for everyone who served in Germany during the Cold War.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

No offense meant...

It turned into a reunion thread but there were some subjects and content that is applicable to the Cold War in the ETO. Many Reenactors want to know what to wear, how to wear it and what odd items were used, bought, stolen or otherwise procured and nobody better to ask than who was there.

I've met reenactors that do Vietnam to Modern and when some of them (not all of them) are talking to Vets they listen for a little and when the Veteran starts to give them detailed information they start to glaze over and change the subject. Sometimes because it's probably boring, sometimes because there's no way they can afford or find the items in the discussion, and sometimes because the simply don't care and consider themselves the experts. On the other hand, Veterans forget lots of details, or remember it differently and the Reenactors simply have their information correct whereas the Veteran has long since forgotten.

This has been a good thread for me to bring back memories and such.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

2/505th (RA) 5/502nd (RA) 2/505th (REEN)

I've seen this with WW2 re-enactors as well. You do get tired of 'Nam vets telling you that your 1944 Jeep is exactly what they drove in the 'Nam, as well as vets telling you things that can't possibly be correct (my all time favorite is the 'Nam vet who told me he called in a tactical nuke in combat from a BUFF once).

The glazed over look is when it's a story you've heard a thousand times, or one you know to be wrong (think, "$50 Jeep in a crate", which never happened but lots of people argue it did anyway, never to anyone they personally know now, though).

Not saying it's right to do, but I do understand it...

No offense meant...

It turned into a reunion thread but there were some subjects and content that is applicable to the Cold War in the ETO. Many Reenactors want to know what to wear, how to wear it and what odd items were used, bought, stolen or otherwise procured and nobody better to ask than who was there.

I've met reenactors that do Vietnam to Modern and when some of them (not all of them) are talking to Vets they listen for a little and when the Veteran starts to give them detailed information they start to glaze over and change the subject. Sometimes because it's probably boring, sometimes because there's no way they can afford or find the items in the discussion, and sometimes because the simply don't care and consider themselves the experts. On the other hand, Veterans forget lots of details, or remember it differently and the Reenactors simply have their information correct whereas the Veteran has long since forgotten.

Lee Bishop Formerly known as "Ratchet 5" with the 2nd Infantry Division (yes, in REAL life)

US WW2 War Correspondent collector

Sgt. Rock: No offense taken. I just thought you might get more responses on a more specific thread.

What you have described is a two edged sword.

A lot of re-enactors spend a great deal of time researching their impressions and the time period they are covering. The problem is that will always be second hand information. There is a lot of things that are missing from the history books... such as... if you are going to wear a P-38 can opener on your dog tag chain, you might want to secure it to the tags with a rubber band. Once in awhile the things would open and stab you in the chest! Small detail but part of the daily life.

One of my favorite stories was from a Vietnam vet who was called up for service in the early part of Desert Storm. His hut (or in earlier terms, hooch) had an air conditioner but no refrigerator. He amazed the younger veterans by taking a box, lining it with foil, diverting one of the ducts from his a/c unit into a hole in the box, and then filling it with soda! Boring detail, perhaps. But important for the 6 months he spent over there before his reserve unit rotated back.

So yes, a vet can bore someone to death with "there I was" stories, bit one has to be careful not to miss some of the nuggets within the stories they are telling.

The flip side is a re-enactor or collector who believes they have so thoroughly researched a period that they think they've got it all nailed down. Military service is a unique experience... there are some things you will not understand or appreciate unless you have been there... or listen to the stories of someone who has.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Another item shown in that same thread is what we used to call a "Baumholder Jacket"

We called them "Graph" jackets, after Grafenwoehr.

They were made with a wet weather parka and a quilted field jacket liner.

Anybody ever have a set of the West German CAV boots with the rabbit fur lining?

I wore mine until they fell apart. http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/public/style_emoticons//crying.gif

Went out last night t hang garage sale signs for my Daughters School Yard Sale and we stopped near a house and I got talking with a guy who ended up selling a 1970's-1980's Group to me that included a steel pot, early kevlar, tanker helmet, pro masks, jungle and leg boots, large ruck , map case, and an original Graph/Baumholder jacket!!

dead links

edited 2/9/2018

dwiv

2RO2.jpg

Sorry for the cut and paste links. Not sure how to post pics anymore.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

post-32632-0-49583600-1404690462.jpg Graf jackets made out of a poncho and a G.I. blanket by the rad tailor, late 1970's.

"They'd rather be alive than free; poor dumb bastards."

attachicon.gif10537099_10202474025194787_145504161029861148_n.jpg Graf jackets made out of a poncho and a G.I. blanket by the rad tailor, late 1970's.

Nice photo! I remember the day I took it! LOL! All of those folks were from B Co., Heavy Maintetance and Support, 708th Maintenance Bn. Baumholder. However, the photo was taken at Graf.

Gil Burket
Omaha, NE
of the Vietnam War

burkcats@hotmail.com

donation2017.gif

Thanks. I swiped it off the 8th ID or maybe the 12th Engr Facebook page.

Here is a nice little souvenir of my time in Germany. A stein and certificate from our partner battalion Panzer Grenadier Bataillon 352 from Mellrichstadt. We fired a familiarization course with them using both rifle and pistol. This would have been in 1989.

post-203-0-94196400-1459632332.jpeg post-203-0-42902500-1459632334.jpg

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

I just had a scary revelation today. We are just under 3 years away from the 30th anniversary of the end of the Cold War. This means that almost no Cold War warriors are left on active duty. I guess an 18 year old who enlisted in 1989 and is now in the Guard or Reserves could serve for another 15 years from now.

I feel old!

" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. "

View my website honoring the men and women of Indiana: http://indianavets.wix.com/indiana-at-war and follow my updates on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/IndianaModernAgeofWar/
Interested in US uniforms? Join the Association of American Military Uniform Collectors! http://aamuc.org/or find us on Facebook! facebook.com/AAMUC.ORG

Beast,

I agree, I too feel old. I don't think too many occupation ribbon wearers are out there from the Berlin brigade still on active duty...

Leigh...

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I know of one, Colonel Roger Davis of the 1st Special Operations Command. Formerly SP4 Davis of the Berlin Brigade. He may have made Sgt while there. He enjoyed Berlin, was keen to leave the Army without regret. He got out, went to college and got his degree. Now, he's an Airborne Ranger Green Beret. He's retiring soon.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

I've still got my Graf jacket, it's hanging in garage and mine has a map pocket sewn inside, I think that cost a couple mark extra. i took it to Canada several years ago and wore it when it rained while fishing. they were and still are a great jacket..

donation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gifdonation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gif

I spent a total of 9 years in Europe during the Cold War from 1966-1968 in Italy and from 1975-1982 in Germany. I made 15 trips to Graf, 1 to Wildflecken and two Reforgers. 8in How (SP) Nuclear in Hanau Germany, Fliegerhorst Kaserne and the 560th Signal Bn in Vicenza. Went through the 7th Army NCO Academy in Bad Tolz in the middle of Winter 1967. Student #2 A Company, went TDY twice to Lenggries where the field companies of the 10th SF were.

Those here who spent time on the wall in Fulda, I was in C Btry, 2nd Bn 75 FA and our deploy point with assigned nuclear rounds was on the east side of the Fulda River. We were to get there before you dudes blew the bridge, unloaded our ordinance and then kissed are arses goodbye. A and B batteries got to stay on the west side................. :dry:

As for re-enacting that time, memories will do..............I do miss the german food and beer though. A few of us would take off to the Frankfurt Flea Mkt on the Main across from the old town Frankfurt during the hot summer days. We only went to watch. The german gals wouldn't think twice to stripping down to try on a dress off a rack. :D AHH!! those were the days!!!!! :)

post-32632-0-08784400-1518201887_thumb.jpg Aggressor tank loading on to a Mobile Assault Bridge (MAB) mid to late 1970's. Probably 12th Engrs. 8th ID. Again stolen from facebook.

I’m trying to put together a small impression based on a tank crewman in West Germany around the 1960 to 1970s. Do any of you guys know what gear they would’ve been issued or carrying?

I was at Fort Bragg and Germany (Berlin Brigade) in the 1980's. Was a different time. My Daughter will inherit a WWII Footlocker loaded with BDU's, M65's, Jungle Fatigues, Boots, insignia, signed books, Posters and other periphenelia from that time period. The Jungle Fatigues are loaded with 82nd Airborne insignia (original since it's mine). I imagine that these will become more and more rare.

Some day it'll be worth cash if she sells it on ebay.

Rock

Hi there - Not related to the topic but I noticed something cool. My grandpa - nicknamed Rocky - served in Vietnam with the 82nd Airborne (505th PIR) and also has a daughter, my mom.

I like militaria!!! If anyone has free 'Nam stuff - let's just say that'll be a good day! ;)

This whole thread has been pretty cool, I must say.

Looking for the following:

452nd and 447th Bomb Group items

Anything 12th Armored- especially uniforms

155th Assault Helicopter Company, Camp Coryell, or Ban Me Thuot Vietnam items[/center]

WWII US Navy Uniforms from the Battle Off Samar: USS Johnston DD-557, USS Hoel DD-553, USS Samuel B. Roberts DE-413, USS Heermann DD-532, USS Dennis DE-405, USS John C. Butler DE-339, USS Raymond DE-341, USS Fanshaw Bay St. Lo, White Plains, Kalinin Bay, Kitkun Bay and Gambier Bay...

donation2011.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2019.gif

It's been a while since we have posted anything on here.. I just finished an exhibit at the US Army Sergeant's Major Academy on the 1970's to 1990's Army. This was a big transition time for the Army, coming out of Vietnam and rebuilding, refocusing on our old adversary; the Soviet Army.. So this exhibit shows some of the iconic items used in the late 70's through the 80s into 1990 period.. The Yellow PT "banana suit", the transition from the .45 automatic to the 9mm, the M1 helmet giving way to the Kevlar, the OD green perma press "pickle suit" transitioning to the woodland BDU uniform, C-rations to MREs and of course the DoD's "Big 5 Program" where we transitioned from UH-1 Helicopters to UH-60 Blackhawks, the Cobra attack helicopter to the AH-64 Apache, the M60 main battle tank to the M1 Abrams, the M113 Personnel Carrier to the Bradly Infantry Fighting Vehicle, the Hawk Missile system to the Patriot missile system, and of course other changes in vehicles, weapons and equipment.

Here are few pictures..

Leigh

post-5554-0-57914500-1548796196_thumb.jpg

"Pain is only Weakness Leaving the Body"

MSG Leigh E Smith Jr
US Army (Retired)

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gifdonation2012.gif

Nice display! When was the yellow PT "banana suit" in use?