Cold War Reenactors? REFORGER anyone?

T-Bone

Okay, out comes the photo album...

First up, is a Gamma Goat in its normal operational configuration... broke!

Note that this one has a radio antenna, an orange convoy light, and what looks to be a siren? Not sure on that last one.

This is actually third shop maintenance courtesy of the 708th Mnt. Bn. The bumper markings indicate the vehicle is from 12 Engineer.

Note the soldier on the right giving us a nice rear view of web gear.

I had forgotten about those blue cannisters that we wore with the protective mask. I can't seem to recall what they contained.

Reforger_Gamma_goat_small.JPG

Here's a close up of our rear facing trooper.

Reforger_Gamma_goat_close.JPG

A couple more uniform shots...

The first is CPT Dan Roh, commander of B/ 708th conferring with an officer from 3rd LOG and a German counterpart. Note that Cpt Roh is wearing German made combat boots.

I am not sure what is going on with the 3RD LOG officers hand guard on his pistol, it almost looks white. Notice the canopy of camo nets which was used to create a drive through maintenance point.

In contrast, and a bit hard to see, is a soldier on a winter exercise checking a radiac meter. He is wearing a British issue NBC suit which was an odd emerald green color. The only good thing you could say about this suit was if you wore it in the winter you did not need a field jacket or a parka... ite kept the heat in.

Reforger_Conference_small.JPG

Winter_games_small.JPG

Hey guys! The US Army is coming to your town! Surprise!

Actually the towns folk usually knew about coming exercises weeks in advance.

Note the lead jeep has a winterized hard top, while the rear one has a soft top. The CONVOY signs, not in use, are stored in the back of the vehicles. Each has those orange "bubble gum machine" lights mounted.

As for the second photo... this is either E/ 708th Maintenance or B/708th lining up in response to an early morning alert, Baumholder, FRG. This gives you an idea of how much equipment was involved in moving a unit.

Reforger_Convoy_small.JPG

Alert_E_708_small.JPG

Camouflage...

The first photo is the trailer portion of a 5,000 gallon fuel tanker. Even with the red fire extinuisher and can, it could not be spotted from the air. It took a lot of practice to get this good.

The second is an example of "hiding in the open".

During the Gulf War, the press made a big deal about Iraqi troops hiding military assets among the civilian population. Well, guess what we practiced in Europe? The yellow vehicle is a US Army Heavy Equipment Transporter that has painted to look like a construction vehicle. We snuck them into the operational areas ahead of the convoys and parked them around in different construction yards. The Mohawks that were flying overhead looking for us never gave them a second glance.

As impressed as our Support Command commander was with this stunt, we had to repaint them when the exercise was over.

Reforger_tanker_small.JPG

Reforger_HET_small.JPG

A couple of photos from a field exercise I evaluated. Believe it or not these are maintenance troops!

Who needs the infantry to rescue you when you have the Division Float assets with you? A "spare" TOW launcher being used for perimeter defense. While it looked good, we never did quite sort out how they would get ammunition for it.

Another photo showing the use of a camouflage net for a small position. The only problem was that these nets were typically in short supply and rarely could be use like this.

Note that everyone is in protective masks, but not full MOPP gear.

ARTEP_1_small.JPG

ARTEP_2_small.JPG

Another of a hasty defensive position...

And then a photo I thought I would just throw in of American dependents and local Germans doing their best to take a perfectly good tank and render it inoperable.

ARTEP_3_small.JPG

Baumholder_family_day_small.JPG

A Sergeant Major's nightmare.... mixed formation of OG-107 and BDU's. This was around 1983 during the switch over. For formal formations, they would move everyone who had BDU's to the front, with those wearing 0G-107's in the rear. HHC 708th Maint. Bn.

Mixed_formation_small.JPG

Signs you normally don't see in the USA....

The FULDA trainstation was take when I was on a trip from somewhere to somewhere. I had dozed off and awoke when the train came to a momentary stop. I hadn't paid attention to the route it was taking and it was quite a shock when I opened my eyes. I thought I was having a nightmare.

Tank_Crossing.JPG

Fulda_station.JPG

would love to do a reforger reenact.
il just need more od uniforms,like the m65 jacket and a few
bits and bobs.
here is one close,only the vb boots should be regular
combat boots.havent seen white vb boots used
in germany on pictures.

cheers ken

Maybe not Germany, but you have got Ft. Richardson, Alaska nailed!

T-Bone

If you want some chocolate chips, come on over and snag a set from the IA. Many of the guys are wearing that, because that is what was issued to them.

Dent

Dent

That is where I got a XXL-Reg set! The jackets are different though, lighter weight now, but on the out side they are mostly the same.

T-Bone

Who had OG 107 Poly/Cotton Pants? Can you PM me.

I need a set of 44 x 33 or 46 x 33.

I seem to own everything else :)

T-Bone

Gil

These photos are amazing to me, where I was in the army I could never have taken pics like these.

Heck we were not supposed to have cameras on base.

Why is it I was being shot at in 1988 and yet when I look at these pictures I feel like I missed out on something?

T-Bone

And another scenario for our reenactors...

Allied Checkpoint: Set up a roadblock on a road along a state or county border. Stop drivers and ask them for their identity papers and travel documents. Advise them that they are about to enter the Soviet controlled zone. Advise them they should demand to speak to the US Consul if they are detained by the police.

Checkpoint_charlie_small.JPG

Gil

These photos are amazing to me, where I was in the army I could never have taken pics like these.

Heck we were not supposed to have cameras on base.

Why is it I was being shot at in 1988 and yet when I look at these pictures I feel like I missed out on something?

T-Bone

At the height of the Cold War, there were over 300,000 troops stationed in Europe (with about that many dependents as well). Compare that with the 120,000 we have in Iraq. It was just a massive undertaking.

That world is gone forever. The latest figure I read was that we are now down to 40,000 troops in Europe with talks of further cutbacks.

When my wife and I were over there 1980 to 1983 we joked about parts of Germany looking like an American colony. There were counties in Germany where 1 in 12 adults worked directly for the US government in one way or another.

Many of the Kasernes (bases) have been closed down or reverted back to the Germans. Most of the troops are now in support roles, providing services to other operations such as Iraq.

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do after my first two years in Texas. But I had a Major tell me go to Europe, because you will see an Army actually in the field, rather than confined to a base and training areas.

As for the photos.... for having been there for 3 years, I thought I would have had more worth showing. I have another set of slides hidden away somewhere, but I would have to dig for them. I took these when I was in a staff position without direct field responsibilities. But for about 80% of the time I was actually so busy that the camera never came out of the case. Any way, glad you liked them!

Gil, Absolutely fascinating. Sound like you left Germany 2 years before I got there in 85. Reference Checkpoint Charlie, here is a later shot, from 1987, when I was stationed in Berlin. By this time the East Germans had built a massive "Kontrollstelle"

complex that you can see in the background.

post-146-1237765842.jpg

Man, I gotta get busy scanning more photos!

Here's one more uniform that no one has covered: Khakis! I think these were the permanent press versions.

post-9-1237766664.jpg

This photo is of SGT Bill Hancock on the left and SGT Steve Borts (that's me!) on the right on a border tour in the summer of 1976. We were both members of C Company, 3rd Battalion, 36thInfantry (Mechanized), 3rd Armored Division.

A Yakima photo from March 1979:

post-9-1237766894.jpg

I'm on the left, and CPL Larry Mayo is on the right. We were members of 2nd Platoon, C Company, 3rd Battalion, 39th Infantry, 9th Infantry Divsion. Larry was the Squad Leader of 1st Squad, and I was the Squad Leader of 2bd Squad.

Here's one of me at Yakima on the same trip in March 1979.

We had the smaller ALICE packs with a tanker's roll strapped to the bottom. We did a lot of airmobile that trip, and a HELL of a lot of walking!

We had the same blue decon kit mentioned in an earlier post, but wore them on the left LBE suspender as shown. I covered mine in OD green tape, except for the lid.

post-9-1237767135.jpg

Here's one of Larry Mayo and I at Ft Lewis in April or March of 1979. We are heading out on an ARTEP mission.

We carried spare 20 round magazines in bandoleers. We had a curious mix of 20 and 30 round mags and pouches so had to get creative.

Larry wore the standard field pants, while I wore jungle fatigue pants.

post-9-1237767559.jpg

And one more of me on that same ARTEP in the spring of 1979. I used a ka-bar I bought at a surplus store for a field knife, and since I was a squad leader and blank adapters were in short supply for some reason, I went without a blank adapter.

post-9-1237767679.jpg

Reference the little blue NBC decon kits. There were two types. The older one had vials that you had to pierce the top with a nail in the lid and there was gauze to pour it on before deconing your skin. The later version had several blue foil packets of denatured alcohol that you ripped open and did the decon of you skin. I remember these were great for cleaning off overlays that we had used the permanent Stabilo markers on. You couldn't use the real thing in training because the agent was so caustic!

One more photo for the night. Here is a photo in the field of my 1SG (left) and Supply Sergeant (middle) around 1990. My 1SG is wearing the military issue "birth control glasses", the angled flashlight on his LBE and has a lanyard on his pistol although it's hard to see. He is also wearing a compass on his pistol belt, it's in the field dressing pouch. My Supply Sergeant is wearing a knife on his right LBE strap and is wearing an unauthorized "dew rag" bandanna probably made from olive first aid sling. When it was hot they would wet it down and wear it under to helmet to keep cool. Notice everyone's sleeves are down in the summer. No matter how hot it was we were required to keep our sleeves down for camouflage purposes.

post-146-1237768367.jpg

my attempt was the change from the 60s to 1970s.

i can also do a 1980-90 picture,but i dont have m65 jacket yet...

i gues the m65 jacket was more in use than the gore tex?

also looking for a od mopp suit in large regular

and five buckle rubber boots size 9 or 10.

cheers ken

Check out this guy in US eBay SC-LIQUIDATIONS search nr. 300265654083 size 10 "Buy it now"

Wet Weather Boots, Overshoe Size 10, Military Surplus

$4.99 Time left:17d 18h 5m

Rakkasan187

Cold War re-enacting sounds great, I was in Berlin Brigade from 86-90, B 6/502nd Inf.

Just one favor please.

Can I carry something other than the 90mm recoiless rifle? It's hard to find blanks for it java script:add_smilie("nerv0003.gif","smid_45")

Rakkasan187

Hey all you Berlin Brigade guys/gals

Do you remember staying off the "PARADE SIDE" of the Tanks, and APCs after we coated them in breakfree and baby oil?. How about Doughboy City in the middle of winter, or the DBC (Deputy Brigade Commander) roadmarch each quarter? BB Guard anyone???

These are a few of my favorite things.....

Sgt_Rock_EasyCo
Hey all you Berlin Brigade guys/gals

Do you remember staying off the "PARADE SIDE" of the Tanks, and APCs after we coated them in breakfree and baby oil?. How about Doughboy City in the middle of winter, or the DBC (Deputy Brigade Commander) roadmarch each quarter? BB Guard anyone???

These are a few of my favorite things.....

We used brake fluid on our jeeps. Scouts out! CSC Company 5/502nd Inf. BB.

Rock

We used brake fluid on our jeeps. Scouts out! CSC Company 5/502nd Inf. BB.

Rock

Actually we used Suntan Oil, one time SOMEBODY made us squirrels very mad and we stuck a entire pack of American Bologna slices to the side of the track prior to and inspection.

Kinda looked like a wonder bread wrapper. w00t.gif

One of my all time favorite photos of GI's in Europe from a 1981 recruiting brochure. I could never decide if it was staged or not... while it looks a bit hokey, I know of occaisions where things like this happened. There are more photos in this pamphlet which I will try to post later...

Army_Europe_Cover_small.JPG

Army_Europe_Cover_small_cover.JPG

Actually we used Suntan Oil, one time SOMEBODY made us squirrels very mad and we stuck a entire pack of American Bologna slices to the side of the track prior to and inspection.

Kinda looked like a wonder bread wrapper. w00t.gif

I saw the lunch meat thing for the first time in Alaska :lol: during the winter.

I did not understand the joke untill watching the othercrew "TRY" to remove it in 10 degree weather.

Something about bologna and its magical bonding agent, the paint under the slices peeled like a bad sunburn leaving a snow buggy with freckles!

Well it seemed funny at the time.

T-Bone

I saw the lunch meat thing for the first time in Alaska :lol: during the winter.

I did not understand the joke untill watching the othercrew "TRY" to remove it in 10 degree weather.

Something about bologna and its magical bonding agent, the paint under the slices peeled like a bad sunburn leaving a snow buggy with freckles!

Well it seemed funny at the time.

T-Bone

In the words of the great american sage, Larry the Cable Guy, "I don't care who ya are, that's funny right there" :lol:

I remember the whole BDU/OG107 mixing,me and Top always went rounds because in garrison I always wore the 107's (but Top they're fatigues and I'm doing fatigue type duty's not combat/field duty's).I know my gas mask was in my locker stateside and my helmet was under the seat on Team Spirit,my Alice pack was in the commo van and my butt pack was full of magazines.They always frowned on anything in your pockets,where else would one keep extra C's?I always had a 20 rd in my shirt pocket and a Gerber (green handled) Mk.2 on my LBE.I had a pilot survival knife on my belt and a Schrade in my pants pocket.That blue plastic decon practice kit had packs of camel filters and the wave guide box was full of beer and food.I remember the Ranger's testing Goretex, (in red and blue as it was civilian gear) on a climb of the glacier side of Mt. Ranier.As I recall the FAV (dune buggy's) were on loan from the Navy's Rec services for eval. they were a nasty flat gray color before they were repainted.Oh my! here I am just a ramblin on,forgive me!Come to think on it,I never was issued a bayonnet,in fact we had none in the armsroom to issue.We did have 2 M-14's for the designated marksmen.

P.S. I did bring home two of those red blank adapters,gave one to my cousin-in-law/ reenacting C.O. for his Nam 16.

msgt norway

keep the photos coming on :) :)

will post a picture of some soldiers i met

here in norway.

they was based in manheim,they was from the AMF(L).

pictures of eating c rations and mres and camp life also wanted:)

cheers fromm ken

Pictures? You want pictures?

More from the recruiting pamphlet "This is the Army in Europe" from 1981.

Or more correctly THIS IS THE ARMY IN EUROPE

Well, to start... according to the pamphlet, apparently Physical Training (PT) is more fun in Europe!

Note the unbloused fatigue shirts, white T-Shirts and shined boots. I suspect the boots were for the photo op. When I was over there we had gotten to the point of encouraging troops to run in a pair of boots that were broken in, and few of them looked this parade ready. Even as support troops we worked up to the level of running 10 miles in combat boots. Not long after I got out they came to the conclusion that this was a bad idea, and now use running shoes. My knees are still paying for this.

Army_Europe_PT.JPG

Army_Europe_PT_close.JPG

Let's get back to some field gear shots...

Here's a couple from a picture from a Chaparral unit, which was another maintenance nightmare on treads as I remember.

The first one is a front view of an E-5 climbing out of the control area. Note that he is not grabbing the high voltage radio antennas. You can see his various pouches, shined boots, glaring white T-Shirt, and 3rd Armored patch. His E-5 collar rank looks to be pin on.

From the same photo you see another soldier. Of intrest here is his rolled poncho on the back of his web belt. I used to secure mine with two blousing bands hooked over top of them. This was handy until one or both of those bands popped and your poncho dragged behind you like a tail. Also notice the camo pattern on his helmet. And take note of how the worn brass portions on his web gear stand out like a shiny sore thumb. The solution was to constantly repaint them with this black goo that came in a little bottle from Ken Nolan, a military supplier of the time.

Even though this booklet was printed in 1981, the camo on the vehicles looks to be from the mid to late 1970's, prior to the later woodland scheme.

Army_Europe_ADA.JPG

Army_Europe_ADA_2.JPG

A couple of shots of armor crewmen. Apparently the way to recruit young men is to entice them with heavy machine guns.

One photo shows a soldier wearing what looks to be a field jacket with a fur collar attached. I don't remember this arrangement. I am wondering if he borrowed the hood from a parka. You can just make out the subdued 3rd ID patch on his shoulder.

The other individual is wearing OG-107 fatigues with a 3rd Armored patch, a crewman's helmet, webgear with an inverted first aid pouch, and what looks to be a military issue watch. Sometimes these watches were issued, but often supply sergeants were reluctant to hand them out as they were an accountable item. However at times they could also be purchased through the Post Exchange.

Army_Europe_50_cal.JPG

Army_Europe_MG_2.JPG

Even if you don't ride a tank or an APC, you can still fire a machine gun.

The original caption on this photo was: "We don't just put you behind a gun and throw you to the wolves. We have instructors to make you expert." How comforting.

Note the fading on the helmet covers. Some collectors have asked why used ones are hard to find. It is because with the cotton stretched over steel, they wore out rather quickly.

While still on the subject of heavy weapons, we have a Private in the 3rd Armored Division plotting fire direction data for a mortar team.

This is an interesting photo. Note the 5 buckle black over shoes we have been talking about. Also, and item I must have forced from memory is that cold weather cap he has neatly folded on his head. While based on the Korean War version, this one was streamlined so it would fit under your helmet. Folding them into this shape was an art, and not worth the time to do over and over again. I kept one in my helmet, and I kept one permanently folded with my Captain's bars on the front of it. Note that he is not wearing a field jacket, but is wearing the wool glove inserts. This is a uniform you would typically see in the late fall before it got super cold.

Also note the inexpensive "ribbon" name tape. These could be produced from a kit in your unit supply room. He wears metal pin on collar rank.

Army_Europe_MG.JPG

Army_Europe_Mortar_plot.JPG

A couple of photos that were meant to display the diversity of the US Army, but which also manage to provide a nice variety of headgear.

On the female Sp/4 note how the issue quality hat has forever lost its shape. This was typical, especially in a working environment. Note the heavy duty hearing protection she has hanging on her neck. Quite likely she is a mechanic for generators or other such equipment.

In contrast is the sharp looking private purchase red hat being worn by the Sergeant next to her. From what I understand these were common signifying different teams in the mid-1970's. By the time I arrived at Ft. Hood in 1978 they were officially frowned on and were being phased out in the Army. However I do remember still seeing the IG's maintenance inspection team in black hats (how appropriate!)

We see an example of a helmet with camouflage, and another issue hat showing what happens when exposed to mud, dirt and grease.

Our other photos show the effects of sun and dirt on helmets and helmet covers.

Army_Europe_headgear_1.JPG

Army_Europe_headgear_2.JPG

In contrast to these dirty, disheveled field troops we have the shining example of the Military Police, who some how manage to look sparkling in the middle of a mud hole!

Note the presence of a black MP armband with white lettering and color divisional insignia (hard to see on the side view, but it is there). This photo gives us a nice view of his field gear, and note the proper use of the pistol lanyard attached to his .45 and fixed to his shouilder. The ever present protective mask carrier is on his hip. To complete the picture we have pressed fatigues, shined boots, and a subdued ascot.

All kidding aside, it takes some measure of courage to direct traffic on a slippery, muddy trail in front of large machines with drivers sometimes having limited vision. I'll pass on the job, thank you.

Army_Europe_MP.JPG

Achtung, Panzer!

Not that you will have one of these available for a weekend reenactment, but you can't talk about the US Army in Europe without tanks and APC's.

The photo of the tanks in the woods is interesting from a photographic and lighting standpoint. It was hard to take pictures of the Army in action sometimes because the woods lacked sunlight. So a lot of photos that you see have this same washed out and blurred effect because the photographer had to compensate for the lack of light.

The bumper marking on the lead tank reads 3/33 Armored of the 3rd Armored Divsion. Contrast the camo paint with the bright yellow searchlight cover. Also, it may just be the photo, but it looks like the camo pattern is only on the upper surfaces of the vehicle, while the bottom of the hull is plain OD. Once again this looks like a late 1970's camo pattern, featuring a black star on the front of the hull.

Army_Europe_50_tank_small.JPG

When the tanks weren't rolling through the fields and woods, they were rolling through the small towns and villages.

Truth be told, certain roadways near critical areas were reinforced to handle the weight of these vehicles.

Going through towns could be fraught with problems. Roads that were designed for carriages in 1620 were sometimes a bit narrow for an M60A1. While these seem to be breezing on through, often they had to inch along in certain towns to avoid taking out the corner of a house built in 1740. And sometimes we didn't quite make it...

Automobiles were another road hazard as well....

Notice our sharply dressed MP's from the 503rd keeping order. On his webgear he is wearing the small plastic container for issue ear plugs below his first aid pouch. These were a safety item and considered a legitimate part of the uniform. He wears what look to be pin on rank for an E-6 Staff Sergeant.

Army_Europe_tank_4_small.JPG

Tanks of course required constant up keep. Note the level of mud on these uniforms. Does anyone know if this is Graf (Grafenwoehr)?

Army_Europe_tank_2.JPG

Army_Europe_tank_3.JPG

One of my favorite photos from this booklet..

Lt. Smith is telling SP/4 Jones where to place his APC to cover the high speed lane of approach. However, SP/4 Jones already knows where he is going to place his anti-armor team because he has already done it about a dozen times on this field exercise. He will place them where he knows they belong despite what Lt. Smith has told him because he knows when CPT Johnson comes through he will praise him for his keen eye and sense of the terrain!

Note the glaring white T-Shirt, and also the earplugs hanging from his shirt pocket. The SP/4 also has his name stenciled on his helmet.

Also observe again the mid-1970's camouflage scheme on the APC, as well as the dangerously high profile of the TOW team.

For more flash and bang, an artillery piece at Graf. This is probably late fall, as it looks like the mud is near frozen. There does not seem to be a single blade of grass in sight.

Army_Europe_APC_TOW.JPG

Army_Europe_Graf.JPG

Can't forget Army Aviation.

I wanted to include the photo of the two soldiers working on the engine for the female SP/4. We've had some discussion about female fatigue uniforms on other threads on the forum. This soldier has opted to wear what look to be male fatigues. This would make sense as a) they were warmer, and B) they were more durable, both key considerations if you were working outside on a flight line. There was also the more subtle consideration of fitting in with the rest of the crew: female fatigues just made the wearer stand out from the rest of the team.

Also note she is wearing metal enlisted flight wings on her hat. This probably would not have been tolerated in the USAF or the USN for possible FOD damage to the engine should the insignia become loose. But then, this is the Army...

The sleeve insignia is most likely for 21st Support Command. Note the unit insignia on the Huey in the background. In contrast to previous photos the hats on these soldiers appear to have kept their shape.

Army_Europe_Helo_rmaint_small.JPG

And the result of all that maintenance work...

Army_Europe_Cobra_Europe_small.JPG

At the end of the day.. the satisfaction of a job well done.

As the booklet states:

There's an intensity in the Army in Europe. You can see it in the faces. A greater condentration on work, without the distractions of life back home.

There's a comaraderie. A closeness that comes from sharing new experiences with new friends in a country far different from your own.

There's an excitement, an anticipation, at the beginning of each new day that lasts until that day's final excercise comes to a close.

And you begin to feel the lead in your arms and back and feet. And your mind unwinds into thoughts of soft things and warmth and something to fill the emptiness in your gut. (I am not making this up!)

And you begin to feel good about yourself....

Should you enlist for Europe? Think about it. Talk it over with your local Army Representative. You could be a better person for it, and we, a better Army."

Our soldier writing home appears to be wearing ripstop ERDL. As he is a private, he is not a member of Special Forces, so it would be interesting to know what unit he was with to be authorized such a uniform. His helmet cover looks older than he is.

And of course, a tired but career satisfied grunts from the 3rd ID during an exercise debrief. Note the wool gloves as well as the fur collar.

Army_Europe_End_of_Day.JPG

Army_Europe_Writing_Home_ERDL.JPG

Army_Europe_Be_All_You_can_be_2.JPG

Pictures? You want pictures?

apparently Physical Training (PT) is more fun in Europe!

Gil, I ALWAYS knew PT was MORE fun somewhere else!

Ever heard of a "Beret March" ?

T-Bone

Gil, I ALWAYS knew PT was MORE fun somewhere else!

Ever heard of a "Beret March" ?

T-Bone

PT is always more fun "somewhere else"! Not familiar with the term "Beret March". What would that be?