AAF Unidentified Unit Patch

dpcsdan

While I can converse all day long in U.S. Navy collectibles, I'm having trouble identifing this WWII era AAF squadron/unit patch I removed from my grandfather's badly deteriorated flight jacket.

Out of state family members have the rest of his items, so I can't seem to find out what units he was attached to during WWII. I do know that he was in Germany at war's end because he had some first hand death camp photos.

I've posted this photo on a couple of other AAF type web sites, but no one has been able to identify the patch.

Thanks for looking.

post-769-1175011060.jpg

I cannot exactly identify the unit but i have two guesses

1. usually the stork is used with air transport units,that might make alittle more sense if he was based in germany post war and attached to a transport unit flying goods here and there and might possibly be related to the berlin airlift?!

2. the other possibility might be a tow target squadron it seems the tail of the bird on the patch is all shot up and red like it represents damage.But all tow target sqaudron insignia I have seen generally has a tow target pictured but may not be the case here.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks for the input, guys.

Any old timers (myself included) know if the character riding the bird was ever connected to the Lil' Abner cartoon strip, or something like that?

From the little research I did, I too, wondered about a "transport" connection.

Thanks for the input, guys.

Any old timers (myself included) know if the character riding the bird was ever connected to the Lil' Abner cartoon strip, or something like that?

She does look a bit like Mammy Yokum:

bio.mammy.jpgmammy.jpg

Dan,

suggest you post it in the unknown forum at www.usafpatches.com

You also could try the Air Force Historical Research Agency at

Maxwell AFB, Alabama. Just do a google search for them and go from there.

They might be able to help, although the patch collectors page above is probably your best bet as most of the time I've found collectors to be more knowledgeable than historians... :rolleyes:

Dave

Dan,

suggest you post it in the unknown forum at www.usafpatches.com

You also could try the Air Force Historical Research Agency at

Maxwell AFB, Alabama. Just do a google search for them and go from there.

They might be able to help, although the patch collectors page above is probably your best bet as most of the time I've found collectors to be more knowledgeable than historians... :rolleyes:

Dave

Will check those, thanks, Dave.

Dan;

I'm fairly certain that the patch is for the 312th Troop Carrier Squadron. You may want to concentrate you research efforts there.

Jim

Dan;

I'm fairly certain that the patch is for the 312th Troop Carrier Squadron. You may want to concentrate you research efforts there.

Jim

Thanks, much, Jim. I'll do that.

• 7 months later...
Johnny Signor
While I can converse all day long in U.S. Navy collectibles, I'm having trouble identifing this WWII era AAF squadron/unit patch I removed from my grandfather's badly deteriorated flight jacket.

Out of state family members have the rest of his items, so I can't seem to find out what units he was attached to during WWII. I do know that he was in Germany at war's end because he had some first hand death camp photos.

I've posted this photo on a couple of other AAF type web sites, but no one has been able to identify the patch.

Thanks for looking.

Hello the patch you have is the 312th Ferrying with the 27th Air Transport group WW-2,the other sqdn's were 86th Ts,310th Ferrying sqdn, i'm a Leather patch maker and do a lot of Unofficial emblem research and this i came across via a WW-2 unit veteran. i can be reached at [email protected]. Johnny Signor (321) 724-1246NOON-11PM EASTERN Weekdays

Found on Internet this VFW listing for a reunion a couple of years ago: 27th ATG, WWII (310th/311th/312th/325th Ferrying Sqdns, 86th/87th/320th/321st Transport Sqdns, 519th & 520th Svc Sqdns): Donald Diehm (828) 892-5422

Hello the patch you have is the 312th Ferrying with the 27th Air Transport group WW-2,the other sqdn's were 86th Ts,310th Ferrying sqdn, i'm a Leather patch maker and do a lot of Unofficial emblem research and this i came across via a WW-2 unit veteran. i can be reached at [email protected]. Johnny Signor (321) 724-1246NOON-11PM EASTERN Weekdays

Thanks for your input everyone, this is indeed the 312th Ferrying Squadron. I've found another patch from another family member and a short squadron history with photos. Also found the attached leather patch in my grandfather's scattered items:

post-769-1196689409.jpg

That is the 81st Bomb Squadron, 12th Bomb Group, looks like a CBI made version. They flew B-25's out of North Africa then shifted to the 10th AF in Burma, great patch, Mark.

That is the 81st Bomb Squadron, 12th Bomb Group, looks like a CBI made version. They flew B-25's out of North Africa then shifted to the 10th AF in Burma, great patch, Mark.

Thanks for the input, Mark. This tells me this is likely my uncle's patch that got mixed in with my grandfather's AAF items. My uncle was a CBI theater pilot.

-dan