Does anyone collect OPFOR insignia?

T-Bone

We've had a number of posts on OPFOR items. Use the search feature to pull them up, you might find some interested collectors in those threads.

I get a kick out of it, and pick up things when I find them reasonably. Never found a helmet.

The older stuff is pretty fun. Especially the manuals with all the ranks ans stuff.

craig_pickrall

Jon, are you speaking of the M1 helmet liner with the wooden comb added on top? In the 50's and 60's I saw those in surplus stores on occassion but never in great abundance. I never pcked one up because I had no interest in them at that time. I would buy one today if I saw it. I do have the drawing for making and mounting the comb if you are interested I can send a copy.

I am new to collecting. I was wondering what OPFOR stands for. Can you please let me know? I am curious and trying to learn. Thanks....Kat

I am new to collecting. I was wondering what OPFOR stands for. Can you please let me know? I am curious and trying to learn. Thanks....Kat

OPFOR = OPposing FORces; they play the enemy or hostile group for exercises. They can have (fantasy) patches, equipment and uniforms, as well as modified US or foreign vehicles.

Greetz ;)

David

• 3 years later...

Sparky65, you've managed to dig up a thread from 2009!

As noted above, check out some of the other OPFOR threads we have had since then by using the SEARCH field above. I've come up with about 4 pages worth of threads doing that. Sometimes the OPFOR items are buried in threads with other subjects.

When I was in ROTC, our OPFOR squads dressed in about every crazy thing you could find at the surplus store.

The guy with the red bandana, which works great with the camo, is me with my favorite ERDL jacket and a Tiger Stripe boonie hat. This is as cool as I ever got, as I later became an Ordnance and Logistics officer.

My friend across the way has OD jungle fatigues with a self camouflaged hat and his armor branch insignia. Our other friend looks to have darkened his TA-50. You can't see his eye glasses which were as thick as the bottom of a Classic Coke bottle. The Army made him a Forward observer.

These photos would be really cool if we weren't passing through the farmlands of Pennsylvania on our way to the state forrest to harrass the underclassmen.

Aggressor Fall 76 3 small.jpg

Aggressor c small.jpg