WW2 patch? And the meaning behind it. Postwar ET3 USN

UShistorybuff00

UShistorybuff00

Hello everyone. 
I just picked this up today and was wondering if its from WW2 and what’s the insignia?  Please let me know what y’all think. Appreciate it as always. 

IMG_8858.jpeg

IMG_8859.jpeg

Petty Officer 3rd Class - Electronics Technician 

The Electronics Technician rate was introduced in 1948.  In 1951, chevron manufacture switched from sewn-down applied red  felt to fully embroidered.

So, this rate dates from 1948 to 1951.  

20 hours ago, KurtA said:

The Electronics Technician rate was introduced in 1948.  In 1951, chevron manufacture switched from sewn-down applied red  felt to fully embroidered.

Although, the sewn chevrons continued to be available and used for many years after that. I have a post 1954 Khaki/bullion SMC by Crow, with applied chevrons. And, my dad had a set of dress blues tailor made in Hong Kong in 1965. They have applied chevrons and hashmarks. 

1 hour ago, sigsaye said:

Although, the sewn chevrons continued to be available and used for many years after that. I have a post 1954 Khaki/bullion SMC by Crow, with applied chevrons. And, my dad had a set of dress blues tailor made in Hong Kong in 1965. They have applied chevrons and hashmarks. 

I was just providing info on the actual age of the this piece of insignia.

2 hours ago, KurtA said:

I was just providing info on the actual age of the this piece of insignia.

Yes, and I was just mentioning that they were still available and in use for years after that. I actually turned up a set of applied stripe Hashmarks (3 stripes), in 1984, at my local Navy Exchange. They were in the bottom of the drawer. 

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/14/2023 at 6:33 PM, KurtA said:

Navy rates with embroidered chevrons were made into at least the late 1950s. The Nuclear Weaponsman rating was not established until 1958, but I have numerous examples as such:

IMG_6387.jpeg.577215a5a2ee17da1a11dde17c161e56.jpeg