A couple noob questions on Army Force Structure

GetSome!!!

I hope this isn't a foolish question, can someone explain divisional organizational components ( force structure?) to me.

I am not sure if I am using the correct terms, but this what I don't understand...... A WW2 vet that I am researching was a tank commander in Company A of the 710th tank battalion, 81st infantry division and what confuses me is the fact that he was armor but is listed as being in a infantry division. Shouldn't he have been in a armor division?

I have also read that his unit was not organic? I am not 100% sure what that means either. Does that mean it was detached from something else and loaned to the 81st? If so what was it detached from?

I sure would appreciate it if some one could fill me in on the 710th tank company A's force structure. Like what corps, Brigade, army etc the 710th would of been in during WW2.

THANKS

Go read the book 'Fiding Your Father's War.'

In WW2 the Army did not think an Infantry Division would always need an armored nattalion, so Armored Bns were assigned to thye Field Army- then parceled out as needed to the infantry divisions- in many cases a speciifc tank Bn, was kept with the same division for so long they felt they were part of teh division. Sort of an adopte part so to speak.

Go read the book 'Fiding Your Father's War.'

In WW2 the Army did not think an Infantry Division would always need an armored nattalion, so Armored Bns were assigned to thye Field Army- then parceled out as needed to the infantry divisions- in many cases a speciifc tank Bn, was kept with the same division for so long they felt they were part of teh division. Sort of an adopte part so to speak.

Thanks..Just ordered the book...should have it in a couple days

El Bibliotecario

A good overview of WW2 US TO&Es is George Forty's US ARMY HANDBOOK 1939-1945. This book shows the attachment of armored bns to the inf div as explained above, plus a great deal of other organizational detail.

Forty is British, but apart from a few English abbreviations--'recce' for 'recon' and 'coy' for 'co' ('reconnaissance' and 'company') his nationality isn't a factor.

• 2 weeks later...

From my reading, I find that many Tank Battalions were assigned to Corps level or higher and were loaned to infantry units as needed. One thing is for sure, most history books fail to mention the Tank Battalions and Tank Destroyer Battalions, even when they were assigned to an infantry division. Howe's history of the 1st Armored Division does mention the Tank Battalions and TD Battalions but doesn't seem to give full credit that is due. So any research on these units has been difficult. If you find a book about one, you better grab it.

Steve

You had Tank Battalions assigned to infantry divisions, and then you had independent Tank Battalions that could be attached to several different units as needed. You also had infantry battalions assigned to Armored Divisions.

Get a copy of Stanton's WWII Order of Battle. It's a great book.

Google the 710th Tank Battalion and you should find something.

Unfortunately I'm going out the door to work.

DwightPruitt
What means "organic"? ermm.gif

"Organic" is a military term meaning that a specific unit, such as a battalion or regiment, is permanently assigned to a larger unit, like a division. For example, the 502nd Parachute Infantry Regiment was organic to the 101st Airborne Division during WWII. However, the 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment was not organic to the Division prior to 1 Mar 1945, it was merely "attached" to that Division. After 1 Mar 1945 it was assigned to the 101st, whereupon it became organic.

If I could recommend another book not mentioned above, Steel Victory by Harry Yeide does a very good job explaining the role of the independent tank battalions in WWII.

...Steel Victory by Harry Yeide does a very good job explaining the role of the independent tank battalions in WWII....

Agreed, and if you are in a rush, you can learn a lot about WWII tank battalions at Mr. Yeide's Web site (link here). Unfortunately, his focus is on ETO and 710th Tank Bn. is not covered at the site (not found by me, at any rate).

Link here to get a quick look at 81st ID order of battle for operations at Angaur Island and Ulithi Atoll (which seems to be the operations of interest here). According to this account, Co. A, 710th Tank Bn. was attached to 322nd RCT for the Beach Red landing; Co. B, 710th TB was attached to 321st RCT for the Beach Blue landing; and the balance of 710th TB was attached to 81st ID. Note that these were all attachments; 710th TB was attached, not assigned, to 81st ID during these operations in the Western Pacific.