M1 carbine or M1911A1 magazine pouch????

tsellati

I decided to ask a potentially naive question and educate myself rather than learn the hard way through making a silly mistake.

So, here is the situation. I would like to acquire a 1945-dated M1911A1 magazine pouch for my newly acquired 1945 Remington-Rand M1911A1 pistol. Thing is, I am wondering whether I already have one or not.

Here is what I have -

45pouchfront.jpg

45pouchback.jpg

45pouchinside.jpg

So, here is my question, is this pouch for M1 carbine or M1911A1 magazines or were they be used interchangeably? The reason I ask is I recently came across an identical pouch that is being sold as for .45 magazines.

Tim (confused in upstate NY)

Greg Robinson

Tim

Your pouch was made just to carry 15 round carbine magazines. And I've never seen nor heard of a 1945 M1923 pistol magazine pouch. I've always assumed that enough were made in 1942 and 1943 so that further production wasn't necessary. Possibly, some were made in England for the US military but I'm not aware of them. However. the Marine Corps did manufacture a pouch in the years 1943-1945 that could be used for both pistol and carbine magazines. The 1945 dated USMC pouches are usually marked "USMC" on the back side and have contract numbers with an "Nom" prefix also marked on them

greece received millions of carbine pouches in the 50s & 60s but no carbines!!! a few carbines used only by the air force. so they used for colt 45 magazines & they are still in use today for the same job as the colt M1911A1 is still the service pistol of the army!!! w00t.gif In greek army nobody knows that these pouches are made for carbines...they all think that they are made for pistols

Captainofthe7th

Tim,

Going along with what Greg said, if you are looking for a OD 7 .45 pouch you won't find one in the WWII style. They used up supplies of WWI and WWII .45 pouches through Korea.

Rob

Ah, thank you all for the information. You saved me quite a bit of time looking for something/waiting to find something that does not exist :blink:! I also was pretty certain that what I had was for the carbine magazine and not the pistol magazine. It is interesting though that I have come across a few BOYT -46- leather M1911A1 magazine pouches. I imagine they began/continued making magazine pouches post-war for the commerical/residual military market. These ones I have seen are quite nicely crafted thumbsup.gif .

Thanks again for clarifying these points for me.

Tim

craig_pickrall

The reason you see the 1946 dated leather mag pockets is because of the occupation army. Many of those troops were outfitted as MP's. See the Constabulary troops in Germany. There must have been a huge shortage of those leather goods.

Ah, thank you all for the information. You saved me quite a bit of time looking for something/waiting to find something that does not exist :blink:! I also was pretty certain that what I had was for the carbine magazine and not the pistol magazine. It is interesting though that I have come across a few BOYT -46- leather M1911A1 magazine pouches. I imagine they began/continued making magazine pouches post-war for the commerical/residual military market. These ones I have seen are quite nicely crafted thumbsup.gif .

Thanks again for clarifying these points for me.

Tim

those leather are military police....the carbine pouch that you have is late war version dual purpose both for carbine mags or garand 8rd enblock clips but they acomodate colt mags also without problem so if you are collector go for the right M23 pouch but if you are not you are okay with this pouch & dont spend more money for no reason

what's the earliest & latest carbine/garand pouches you'v seen?

the earliest i'v seen is 1944 & the latest 1957

I've got one dated: 1943

That 1943 is a definate keeper. They are tuff to find.

true....i'v never heard or seen a 1943 one but for some reason i'v allways had the feeling that some exists

craig_pickrall

That is the pouch that fits the carbine stock. It isn't the combo pouch that can be used for Carbine 15 rd mags or M1 8 rd clips.