WWI Marine Died in France in a Replacement Co.

bobgee

I picked this group up at the OMSA Convention in Jacksonville, FL last August. No glamorous gallantry but a few more than intersting items.

Cpl. Ernest A. Parent was from Holyoke, MA and enlisted in 1917. After training he arrived in France in January 1918. He was serving with the 133rd Replacement Co, 1st Replacement Bn and was promoted to Corporal in Feb 1918. The Muster rolls show his companions being assigned to 4th Brigade units but his entry in February 1918 Muster Roll shows"March 15th - died at Infirmary #1 St. Aignan, France. See Hosp. report and S/R Book, Case#98725". This appears to be a recapping Muster roll as the dates are before and after Feb 1918. A bit confusing.

No cause of death is shown in the Muster Roll. I have not tried to obtain his SRB hoping to do this on a personal visit to NARA, St. Louis.

Creat0015.JPG

The group contains his GCM No. 58942, WWI Victory Medal with France Clasp & Maltese Cross device and a Holyoke Mass Victory Medal. The Federal Medals were obviously awarded posthumously and his SRB should reflect correspondence to support this.

GCM_No.58942.JPGWWI_Victory_FRANCE.JPG

Holyoke_MA_WWI_Victory_Medal.JPG

There are several other WWI USMC items that came with the group that are very interesting and pics of which follow.

Semper Fi......Bobgee

Also included is the scarce "USMC Son in Service" window banner as well as an unusual USMC Gilt Bugle Pin. Have never seen one like it. There is a fine original 5th Brigade shoulder patch but I doubt that it was his and finally a WWI vintage Cpl chevron with Sharpshooter Badge pinned on it. All in all an interesting group worthy of more research.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Service_Banner.JPG

5th_Brig_Patch.JPGCreat0017.JPG

Creat0014.JPG

Bob

I did not think that the Marine Corps awarded the Good Conduct Medal posthumously.

I have 2 Marine WWI KIA groups including a copy of the SRB that do not indicate any awards other than the Victory Medal w/ Clasps

Bill

Bob

I did not think that the Marine Corps awarded the Good Conduct Medal posthumously.

I have 2 Marine WWI KIA groups including a copy of the SRB that do not indicate any awards other than the Victory Medal w/ Clasps

Bill

When I eventually get his SRB the answer will be revealed. The guidelines for award of GCMs to "Duration of the War" enlistees (Rim Numbered Medals- any period of service qualified) were different than for "Regular" Marines who had to complete 4 years to get a GCM.

Semper Fi.....Bob

'

Great group Bob. It's nice to see the victory medal with the France bar and cross device which I've seen in several 5th Brigade groups at some point before his death. It'll be interesting to see what his file says. Maybe he was a 5th Brigade Marine?

Mark

Great group Bob. It's nice to see the victory medal with the France bar and cross device which I've seen in several 5th Brigade groups at some point before his death. It'll be interesting to see what his file says. Maybe he was a 5th Brigade Marine?

Mark

Mark - Don't think he made it to the 5th Brigade - he was in France way too early for that. I think this fine 5th Brigade patch was "dropped in" on the same assumption. It now remains to determine if the GCM was posthumously sent to his family. If I understand the Navy Victory Medal regs correctly, the award of the "France" bar, a non-combat clasp, automatically included a "maltese" cross, intended for wear on the Ribbon not on the medal, in lieu of a "bronze" battle star. But we most often see them on the medal itself because that's where the vet put them when they got the medal in 1920/21.

Best.........Semper Fi......Bob

Bob,

Quick question about going to St Louis. Do you actually get to see the files or do they just make copies of them? Is it pretty easy to go there as far as them helping you? Must be very interesting.

Enrique

Bob,

Quick question about going to St Louis. Do you actually get to see the files or do they just make copies of them? Is it pretty easy to go there as far as them helping you? Must be very interesting.

Enrique

Enrique - Yes, you actually get the complete original file delivered to you. USMC & USN files were not effected by the 1973 fire. Then you can make copies or have them do it. All of the pages or the ones you select. The staff is very helpful. And, yes, it's a trip!

Semper Fi.....Bob

teufelhunde.ret
.... automatically included a "maltese" cross, intended for wear on the Ribbon not on the medal, in lieu of a "bronze" battle star. But we most often see them on the medal itself because that's where the vet put them when they got the medal in 1920/21.

Best.........Semper Fi......Bob

Another very unique group Bob, love seeing these types as they pose so many questions.... here's one, re the maltese cross, base on your comment above - is that why we see so few ribbon bars with the cross present? Semper Fi, Darrell

Everyday, I learn something new here. Sorry for the dumb question, but what does the Maltese Cross ribbon device signify? Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I have never seen one of those.

By the way that's a very nice grouping.

Everyday, I learn something new here. Sorry for the dumb question, but what does the Maltese Cross ribbon device signify? Maybe I haven't been paying attention but I have never seen one of those.

By the way that's a very nice grouping.

Thanks. Quoting from Strandberg/Bender's medal book "The Call of Duty", "BRONZE MALTESE CROSS - The Bronze Maltese Cross is worn centered on the World War I Victory Medal (sic) by members of the Marine Corps, Medical Corps and Navy who served with the A.E.F. in France between 6 April 1917 and 11 November 1918. To qualify for the device personnel must not qualify for any battle clasps as issued by the Army."

Actually, as mentioned previously, it was intended for wear on the ribbon bar.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Thanks. Quoting from Strandberg/Bender's medal book "The Call of Duty", "BRONZE MALTESE CROSS - The Bronze Maltese Cross is worn centered on the World War I Victory Medal (sic) by members of the Marine Corps, Medical Corps and Navy who served with the A.E.F. in France between 6 April 1917 and 11 November 1918. To qualify for the device personnel must not qualify for any battle clasps as issued by the Army."

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

FYI - Here's an example of the Maltese Cross device being correctly worn on a 1930s vintage ribbon bar set which belonged to Col. Wm. C. Powers USMC ret. I have his full-size and miniature medals on which only the "France" clasp is worn with no "Maltese Cross".

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Willliam_C._Powers_USMC_Ribbon_Bar.JPG

teufelhunde.ret
............ To qualify for the device personnel must not qualify for any battle clasps as issued by the Army.

Semper Fi.....Bobgee

Bob, would the same rule you mention above also apply to Naval clasps? s/f Darrell

Bob, would the same rule you mention above also apply to Naval clasps? s/f Darrell

Darrell - I think the criteria is based on being in the A.E.F. i.e. Marines, USN doctors, corpsmen etc. Most of those serving in the 5th Brigade which did not see combat qualified for the device. USN/USMC aviators and members of aviation in units in France qualified for the Navy "Aviation" clasp but I don't know if this precluded the award of the "Maltese Cross". I believe recipients of the Naval "Aviation" clasp wore a "bronze star" on their Victory Medal ribbon.

Semper Fi.......Bob

dogfacedsoldier

Great grouping!

I like it. An interesting set of medals, and some mystery. I wonder if he died from the spanish influenza epidemic. My uncle was wounded and in a hospital in France in 1918. He lost an eye and was gassed, he also had some shrapnel frags in his face. He survived the flu, and a lot didn't.

Jon

teufelhunde.ret
Great group Bob. I don't collect Marine items, but this Army boy can certainly appreciate their significance. ;)

... we forgive you whistling.gif

teufelhunde.ret
What was the maltese cross issued on the medal for? Dumb question I know.

The answer is found within the context of posts 11 & 12. ;)