Victory Medals-Is this guy insane?

Big Iron

I've long dabbled in WWI US militaria as one of my first pieces was a helmet and uniform from a prop closet from a local theater when I was a kid. I've always poked around but never dove into the era as I am already heavily invested in WWII German and US pieces (mostly German). But recently, I've grown an affinity toward US stuff due to the prices being more palatable and less competition. 

I've begun looking at WWI Interallied Victory Medals and have come across a seller who has some insane prices, and I'm assuming that's just what they are.

On a different note, can someone direct me to some good resources for these medals and researching the clasps please?

For fun, here are some of the insane listings I referenced. One looks to be WWI era produced, the rest are post-war as they are crimp brooch style. Is he just crazy hoping for someone gullible?

Screenshot_20230904_103528_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103557_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103537_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103548_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103609_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103613_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103625_eBay.jpg

Screenshot_20230904_103629_eBay.jpg

"Victory Medals-Is this guy insane?" Yes, I think so.

Get The Interallied Victory Medals of World War I, 2nd Revised Edition by Alexander J. Laslo. There is another reference by a forum member whose name I cannot recall. You may be able to find the author and book title through a search on this website.

Perhaps he is.....I wonder how much he will buy them for? I'll give him a 50% discount!!

However he may be using an old price guide like Vernon's and adding a percentage for each year since the original catalog price.

Bill

The little alien face says it all, they are from another planet.

I did a search for this seller but their account didn’t come up.

What else do they sell?

Just now, manayunkman said:

The little alien face says it all, they are from another planet.

I did a search for this seller but their account didn’t come up.

What else do they sell?

Coins and old Music CD's - Just do a google search and you'll find him

Bill

I found it.

They’re overthinking this with their Ray theory.

He does sell some military, antiques and many CDs.

He looks like he is in the army from his picture.

Yeah, I've seen them $274.00 for a Govt. restrike medal current issue for Granddads missing medals. There ugly too in my opinion. I don't know what there smoking but it must be good. 

He’s claiming that there are differences in the rays, ring and ball that make this a rare variation.

Is his variation rare?

Or just a common variation?

Im specifically referring to the type 7 piece.

I'd say that the seller is taking a numismatics approach to medal collecting. We as collectors are looking at rather current medals that most of us wouldn't give $20 (much lest 410) for a restrike, but the seller is stating that the ones he is offering are from makers who were not awarded contracts. In coin collecting terms, this is like finding a bronze 1943 wheat penny rather than the much more common steel penny. The first medal with the ring suspension rather than the thicker ball suspension that we expect to see if also unusual, especially when adding the split brooch. This is not at all what most collectors would ever see.

As for prices, the first medal is indeed rare. If the medal were a US coin, that level of rarity would command stratospheric prices. What it actually worth would be completely up to a rather advanced and well-heeled collector would be willing to pay for such rarity. Think of this in relation to a Legion of Merit medal. A current medal is probably worth $20. A WWII wrap brooch medal is worth $100. A number on that brooch is worth $150. A reverse enameled BB&B medal would be worth $2,00 to $2,500. A reverse enameled Mayer would be worth $3,500 or so. A LOM legitamately named to Dwight Eisenhower, $25K or more.....

Allan

11 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

I'd say that the seller is taking a numismatics approach to medal collecting. We as collectors are looking at rather current medals that most of us wouldn't give $20 (much lest 410) for a restrike, but the seller is stating that the ones he is offering are from makers who were not awarded contracts. In coin collecting terms, this is like finding a bronze 1943 wheat penny rather than the much more common steel penny. The first medal with the ring suspension rather than the thicker ball suspension that we expect to see if also unusual, especially when adding the split brooch. This is not at all what most collectors would ever see.

As for prices, the first medal is indeed rare. If the medal were a US coin, that level of rarity would command stratospheric prices. What it actually worth would be completely up to a rather advanced and well-heeled collector would be willing to pay for such rarity. Think of this in relation to a Legion of Merit medal. A current medal is probably worth $20. A WWII wrap brooch medal is worth $100. A number on that brooch is worth $150. A reverse enameled BB&B medal would be worth $2,00 to $2,500. A reverse enameled Mayer would be worth $3,500 or so. A LOM legitamately named to Dwight Eisenhower, $25K or more.....

Allan

Excellent observation concerning their approach.

Is it valid?

Havent heard of anyone willing to pay those prices or even mention the details that are brought up to legitimize the prices.

The guy doesn’t sound so crazy now?

56 minutes ago, manayunkman said:

Excellent observation concerning their approach.

Is it valid?

Havent heard of anyone willing to pay those prices or even mention the details that are brought up to legitimize the prices.

The guy doesn’t sound so crazy now?

I want to be clear here, I am just trying to give an explanation as to where the seller's head may be,

I should also mention that as militaria collectors, we see other areas where prices for our perceived prices on things are well out of our version of reality. For decades, navy peacoats were damned near worthless. You'd be lucky to get more than $20 for one unless it was in a monster size. Enter the fashion industry and these "worthless" jackets bring ten times more. Army OD fatigue shirts from the 70's and 80's show up on Ralph Lauren's sale page. Navy dungarees used to not command a lot of money. Vintage denim collectors were paying significantly more than we collectors did. Now, if you want a pair of WWII navy dungarees for your collection, be prepared to pay vintage denim prices for them.

Allan