What era would this Khaki Bullion rate be from?

Flightpath

Khaki Chief Rates with Bullion are typically indicative of Post-War rates, specifically after 1948. The Khaki Chief Uniform these were worn on was used until 1975 so realistically, it could be from 1948-1975.

17 hours ago, busternfo said:

Also consider that the chevrons are wool felt, not embroidered, making it earlier than later perhaps?

Not necessarily. That was done for quite some time after WWII as well, especially with Bullion rates, typically seen into the late 50s and possibly early 60s.

While both of those are not khaki Bullion rates, they are Bullion ratings from the 50s at the earliest. The rating of Guided Missileman didn't come out until 1953 yet it has applied chevrons. Same can be seen of the Master Chief Personnelman here. The rating came out in 1948 but the Navy didn't get the paygrades of E-8 and E-9 until 1958 yet it still has applied chevrons 13 years after wars end and 10 years after the big change-up in the Navy's rating structure.

20230824_105852.jpg

20230824_105855.jpg

20230824_110130.jpg

20230824_110135.jpg

28 minutes ago, PatLaabs said:

Not necessarily. That was done for quite some time after WWII as well, especially with Bullion rates, typically seen into the late 50s and possibly early 60s.

While both of those are not khaki Bullion rates, they are Bullion ratings from the 50s at the earliest. The rating of Guided Missileman didn't come out until 1953 yet it has applied chevrons. Same can be seen of the Master Chief Personnelman here. The rating came out in 1948 but the Navy didn't get the paygrades of E-8 and E-9 until 1958 yet it still has applied chevrons 13 years after wars end and 10 years after the big change-up in the Navy's rating structure.

20230824_105852.jpg

20230824_105855.jpg

20230824_110130.jpg

20230824_110135.jpg

Applied bullion chevrons and hash marks are still available. 

Yes, I see your point regarding bullion badges.  I was referring to the non-bullion area.  But, I still agree with your comment.  I was considering my post after I sent it and realized it did not present a good guideline for dating rating badges.  And, the reverse is true re. embroidered chevrons.  I have a few badges with embroidered chevrons and WWII dates, usually stamped.  I recently got a Torpedoman's Mate PO1 on blue wool felt with embroidered chevrons "right-arm-rate" and a date stamped 1943.  And there is the white bevo-weave badges with all embroidered features with WWII dates. 

While on this subject, I have noticed the reference to "pre-1927" or is it "pre-1929" or both?  I do not understand what details of a rating badge would narrow it down to those dates?  I would very much appreciate some insight on this.  And thank you both for your insight,

Dennie      

54 minutes ago, sigsaye said:

Applied bullion chevrons and hash marks are still available. 

Where? Because I need some lol. I've been resorting to using NOS stuff for my uniforms. 

2 minutes ago, busternfo said:

Yes, I see your point regarding bullion badges.  I was referring to the non-bullion area.  But, I still agree with your comment.  I was considering my post after I sent it and realized it did not present a good guideline for dating rating badges.  And, the reverse is true re. embroidered chevrons.  I have a few badges with embroidered chevrons and WWII dates, usually stamped.  I recently got a Torpedoman's Mate PO1 on blue wool felt with embroidered chevrons "right-arm-rate" and a date stamped 1943.  And there is the white bevo-weave badges with all embroidered features with WWII dates. 

While on this subject, I have noticed the reference to "pre-1927" or is it "pre-1929" or both?  I do not understand what details of a rating badge would narrow it down to those dates?  I would very much appreciate some insight on this.  And thank you both for your insight,

Dennie      

My apologies, I thought you meant just the chevrons. And I have also found a few of those, actually just got these 2 in today. 

I'm not sure about the reference to that date except maybe for the stance of the eagle? It definitely changed over the years and a WWI-1920s eagle is definitely different from a 1930s eagle. 

20230824_104158.jpg

20230824_104204.jpg

3 hours ago, PatLaabs said:

My apologies, I thought you meant just the chevrons. And I have also found a few of those, actually just got these 2 in today. 

I'm not sure about the reference to that date except maybe for the stance of the eagle? It definitely changed over the years and a WWI-1920s eagle is definitely different from a 1930s eagle. 

20230824_104158.jpg

20230824_104204.jpg

Just to clear up my understanding; were you referring to the difference in eagle design as applies to bullion eagles, or were you including all rating badge eagle styles?  Thanks again!

4 hours ago, PatLaabs said:

Where? Because I need some lol. I've been resorting to using NOS stuff for my uniforms. 

Ahh. Sorry. I retired in 1998. We still were able to get the applied gold bullion chevron rating badges and hash marks. I have also recently fount them on line, at uniform shops. Sadly, they have that awful post 1984 eagle. 

Salvage Sailor

Gemsco Silver Bullion on Khaki still in the Cellophane, late-1950's

unfolded & unsewn

QMCGemscoBullion001.jpg.923296a79e5567d25ee9167afa543975.jpg

CPO QUARTERMASTER QMC

QMCGemscoBullion003.jpg.5fab9102ba4734d708ea36425e485710.jpg

SKCGemscoBullion001.jpg.9833dc7609af55534d4adcb735b9d952.jpg

CPO STOREKEEPER SKC

SKCGemscoBullion003.jpg.e208f83b4a9219592102bfaf3bb827b9.jpg

1 hour ago, sigsaye said:

Ahh. Sorry. I retired in 1998. We still were able to get the applied gold bullion chevron rating badges and hash marks. I have also recently fount them on line, at uniform shops. Sadly, they have that awful post 1984 eagle. 

Ah okay, I was gonna say lol. And yea I hate that eagle so much. I refuse to wear any navy rate with it on it anymore. If I ever make Chief I already have my Golden chevron one set aside.

Salvage Sailor

Aye, the 'Surrendering Chicken' & the 'Fat Parrot'.  Not on my uniforms...

3 hours ago, PatLaabs said:

Ah okay, I was gonna say lol. And yea I hate that eagle so much. I refuse to wear any navy rate with it on it anymore. If I ever make Chief I already have my Golden chevron one set aside.

My sister, an active duty Master Chief, says that at one time, Vanguard was selling “Legacy “ crows. At an exorbitant price. I would just search the internet