Jump to content

General Quarters Question


Ronnie
 Share

Recommended Posts

When the ship’s personnel would be called to general quarters during WWII what would a sailor with a Store Keepers rating be assigned to do? Could he have been assigned to a gun position?

Thanks for help on this.

Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Different sized ships will give you different answers based on the number of personnel that were available to defend the ship. Their primary duty was to control items from ships stores, which would be necessary at all times. I know on larger ships that positions like storekeeper would be used to help supply ammunition, but could also be called upon to work on litter teams to transport wounded and teams to help with firefighting/ damage control.

 

I hope this helps.

 

Allan

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salvage Sailor
24 minutes ago, Allan H. said:

Different sized ships will give you different answers based on the number of personnel that were available to defend the ship. Their primary duty was to control items from ships stores, which would be necessary at all times. I know on larger ships that positions like storekeeper would be used to help supply ammunition, but could also be called upon to work on litter teams to transport wounded and teams to help with firefighting/ damage control.

 

I hope this helps.

 

Allan

 

Aye,

 

Furthermore, it would be determined by the Storekeepers assigned posts on the Watch, Quarter & Station Bill of his ship.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/17/2023 at 1:55 AM, Ronnie said:

When the ship’s personnel would be called to general quarters during WWII what would a sailor with a Store Keepers rating be assigned to do? Could he have been assigned to a gun position?

Thanks for help on this.

Ronnie

Again, based on size of ship, 2-3 Store Keepers would be in the Main store room to issue out repair parts. All other Supply and Admin personnel would be assigned as gun crew, ( including working in the magazines), stretcher bearers, Damage Control and phone talkers.  Basically, anyone who’s job, does not involve ship handling or combat/communications, gets farmed out to those stations for man power

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, sigsaye said:

Again, based on size of ship, 2-3 Store Keepers would be in the Main store room to issue out repair parts. All other Supply and Admin personnel would be assigned as gun crew, ( including working in the magazines), stretcher bearers, Damage Control and phone talkers.  Basically, anyone who’s job, does not involve ship handling or combat/communications, gets farmed out to those stations for man power

Would or could a store keeper be assigned duty as a jeep driver on shore for perhaps a brief period and why?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 minutes ago, Ronnie said:

Would or could a store keeper be assigned duty as a jeep driver on shore for perhaps a brief period and why?

Generally, there weren’t assigned drivers in the Navy. If a Store Keeper needed to officially, go somewhere, he’d check out a vehicle and go there. Or are you asking hauling around some Officer?  All commands have a “Duty Driver”. On thee duty day ( it’s a type of “Watch”),  they could be called out to drive the “Duty Vehicle” for whatever the Command Duty Officer decides needs to be done. Really a pain in the butt. All day and night, haul this guy here, go pick up this thing over there. I hated being assigned that duty. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ok thank you for this info. You have helped me. While digging thru info on my dad I found out he was driving officers or high ranking individuals on shore. In Italy and maybe Sicily. He served on board the USS Biscaine. A Flag Ship.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Salvage Sailor
22 hours ago, sigsaye said:

Generally, there weren’t assigned drivers in the Navy. If a Store Keeper needed to officially, go somewhere, he’d check out a vehicle and go there. Or are you asking hauling around some Officer?  All commands have a “Duty Driver”. On thee duty day ( it’s a type of “Watch”),  they could be called out to drive the “Duty Vehicle” for whatever the Command Duty Officer decides needs to be done. Really a pain in the butt. All day and night, haul this guy here, go pick up this thing over there. I hated being assigned that duty. 

 

Aye, 

 

Duty Driver many times.  Runs to SERVMART, the MAC terminal, Airport pick ups (for Chiefs and Officers), squadron HQ, to the Fleet Schools (FTC), lots of stop and go pickups.  Often as a paddy wagon between the drunk tank and the quarterdeck on the weekends.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

From the photos my dad made it looks as though he was driving officers to famous sites.

Thanks again for this info. It explains a lot.

Ronnie

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...