Show Your GAR Medal

SARGE

31st nat. encampment, buffalo n.y.1897/1897 annual state encampment (generic ?)/1904 boston national encampment/n.h. veteran/44th nat. encampment 1910 atlantic city n.j./gettysburg 1913/and two pinback buttons, no owner history on these.post-195-1231101369.jpg

I found this medallion metal detecting in Adrian, Michigan years ago. Someone punched a hole near the rim for whatever reason. It commemorates the 1891 "Silver Encampment" in Detroit, MI. The lighting makes it look more gold in color than the silver tone it has.

Greg

Greg;

I think what you have is a variation of a medal that could be picked up by the GAR members in attendance. The hole is for a ring that holds the "medallion" to the ribbon. I've uploaded a picture of my Great-Great-Grandfathers 1891 Detroit Silver Encampment medal.

post-4767-1231244695.jpg

• 1 month later...

Here is my GAR medal. I found a serial number on it. Can anyone tell me when it was made? I would like to find a ribbon for it someday.

Thanks,

Eddie

post-4370-1236135469.jpg

post-4370-1236135475.jpg

post-4370-1236135482.jpg

Here is my great Uncle Henry Chairselle. He immigrated here from Germany in 1850 and served with Co K 26th Indiana during the Civil War. He was wounded in the arm at the Battle of Praire Grove, Arkansas in December of 1862. After the war, he moved to Birmingham, Alabama and opened up a cotton and feed store. He was the departmental commander of the GAR post in Birmingham.

Eddie

post-4370-1236137889.jpg

post-4370-1236137896.jpg

From what I gather, the letter "K" in front of the serial number on my GAR medal stands for the Commander-in-Chief at that time. I guess that would have been John S. Kountz (Commander-in-Chief 1884 / 1885). It looks like he is wearing the same lapel pin as my great uncle.

post-4370-1236139513.jpg

From what I gather, the letter "K" in front of the serial number on my GAR medal stands for the Commander-in-Chief at that time. I guess that would have been John S. Kountz (Commander-in-Chief 1884 / 1885). It looks like he is wearing the same lapel pin as my great uncle.

Right you are Eddie. Kountz is the commander that goes with the initial on you Great Uncle's badge. It is always nice to have something like this that remains in the family.

• 3 months later...

Hi Everyone, I came across a man today that goes around with his metal detector and collects whatever he can find. Well he had this star in a plastic case with the words "Grand Army of the Republic 1861 Veteran 1866" for $55.00. He said he found it @ a local cemetary 8"s underground. He knew nothing of it so I offered $20.00 (deal!). It's in great shape but I believe it's missing it's top ribbon piece. Eitherway, I was directed here to show it off, maybe you can tell me something about it. This is what I know.

Type V style. Inverted five-point star shows solder and sailor on front with Hancock, Wilson and Sheridan corps badges on back indicating a Type V. Star is 1 ¾ in dia. The guy told me where he found it and I have narrowed it down to Robert Warden in Mt. Pleasant, PA Vet Camp No. 163.

bayonetman

A little off topic, but I am seriously looking for a commercial version of the badge. These were sold and used as watch chain fobs and I am sure for other uses.

I have a photo of my Great Grandfather in later life with one of these on his chain, and I would like to have one to put with his display. If anyone sees one, I would appreciate a note. There are different colors of background, I am not able to tell his since it is of course a black and white photo, so will take any.

gar.jpg

mkgarms, you have a nice GAR membership badge at a good price. You are correct that you are missing the ribbon and pin but typical for dug items. There may be a serial number on one of the arms of the star but other than that there is not much way to date it further.

Gary, these little watch fob badges show up from time to time but seem to be expensive when I see them. Some are made of gold so that also inflates the price. I have seen them sell on ebay from time to time under a GAR search. Good luck!

Thanks, I looked and there is a serial number. Ser. # W82M?..That's all that I can make of it. I also found two holes inside. This was for the flag that was at one point there (wish I had it).

Also is there a way to edit "post"? I took better pictures and I wanted to replace the old one.

New Pics:

DSC01364.jpg

DSC01365.jpg

DSC01362.jpg

DSC01363.jpg

mkgarms, you have a nice GAR membership badge at a good price. You are correct that you are missing the ribbon and pin but typical for dug items. There may be a serial number on one of the arms of the star but other than that there is not much way to date it further.

Your membership badge was likely from 1888-1889 when William Warner was Commander in Chief of the GAR. It is missing a little round bar between the arms of the star that supported the ribbon. Here is an example of what the complete badge would look like with the ribbon and suspenion pin.

GAR_medal_postcard.JPG

I hope this is helpful.

• 2 years later...
  • 3 years later...
blackhawkdown

I was given this small grouping. What is the significance of the larger GAR medal with the rank bar. What does this signify?

Dan h

post-2370-0-04953400-1428204334.jpg

The larger GAR badge is a post-level officer's badge (blue edges for post; red edges for department; buff edges for national-level). When the rank strap is worn on the ribbon it indicates a past officer. If the rank strap is worn as a top bar, it's for a serving officer. The gilt oak leaves on the rank strap indicate a junior vice post commander, Assistant Inspector or post surgeon.

This piece has got to be a top contender for the title of "Mother of all GAR badges"; a custom made badge in gold to a CW Marine! Unfortunately I don't have bragging rights to this medal because it's actually in a friend's collection.

post-10651-0-42475500-1428250591.jpg

post-10651-0-46252300-1428250614.jpg

The Marine Corps past president is amazing. I have always had an admiration for G.A.R. Past President badges. I've always wanted to own a badge that was adorned with precious stones. These are some of the badges that I have seen over the years. They are all stunning in their own right. The third one does not have a ribbon. It is solid gold with red, white, and blue enamel. I only wish that I had the means to purchase it at the time it was sold. It is gorgeous.

GAR_PastPresident_Badges.jpg

(None of the badges in this photo belong to me. The images were displayed within a public auction forum and are being used for educational purposes only.)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here is a few of my GAR items. The badge says "3rd Battalion GAR". The gold one I'm guessing is a watch fob maybe?

post-158219-0-37944500-1430177427.jpg

post-158219-0-95685900-1430177436.jpg

As for the gold one, LTC John C. King. Wounded as a Captain in the 16th U.S. Infantry Regiment, 31 December 1862 at Murfreesboro, Battle of Stones River. Can't find anything about him after that....

That is a nice, little lot you have there.

3BN badges are extremely rare. Would you be able to post more photos of it, front and back?

Kevin

That is a nice, little lot you have there.

3BN badges are extremely rare. Would you be able to post more photos of it, front and back?

Kevin

Kevin, Sure no problem. What exactly is a "3rd Battalion GAR badge" by the way, and why are they rare?

post-158219-0-29928300-1430252296.jpg

post-158219-0-86145700-1430252311.jpg