WWII Oddball Pick mattox w/ very wide spade

Fly USMC

Not sure if this is US Issue or not. The carring pouch has a US Style 1910 hook for attaching to belt etc and is also marked on the inside (Cant make it out). The tool is marked GOUVY and 945 (Probably a weak stamp for 1945).

Has anyone seen one of these before. Is it US Issue / made?

Thanks John

post-5056-1237156102.jpg

post-5056-1237156187.jpg

post-5056-1237156205.jpg

post-5056-1237156220.jpg

hbtcoveralls

Hi John,

I haven't seen one quite like this before, but the cover looks either French or Dutch to me. It sure does look handy though, just the thing for digging in.

T. Bowers

El Bibliotecario

The concept of a shovel/pick affixed to a detachable handle is similar to the British WW2 entrenching tool carried with the pattern '37 gear, with the tool in a canvas carrier which fit horizontally at the small of the back with the handle strapped outside--a different arrangement then the carrier shown here. Comparing the shape of the shovel blade to a photo of a Canadian tool, while it is very similar, the digging edge of the shovel blade on the Canadian tool is more pointed. The M1910 hook makes me speculate this is from one of the European counties whose postwar army was reequipped with a mix of US and British pattern gear.

my vote it's french post war ,but the same model was used during the 2ww and into indochina..the British item which i have several are a little different... also the carrier has a french look all over it....good luck .....vince g. 11b inf...

french army TAP=TROUPE AEROPORTE

is was an equipment inspired of the American WWII equipment..the suspenders was like the M36 the belt like the M36 with french quick release buckle..the canteen like the american M1910 but bigger...the 3 pocket grenade carrier like the US one..the musete bag simular to the M36..the MAS36 rifle pouches were like the british P37 Lee enfield small cartridge carriers with US M1910 belt hangers & the SMG MAT49 pouches were local french design