65th Infantry Div. March 1945 - May 1945?

Dogface72

Hello-

I’m looking for a little help finding out more information on The 65th Inf. Div. from March 1945 to May 1945. My great uncle was a replacement with this unit. He gave me several “pieces” he brought back from the war, but is quite reluctant to talk about it. He told me it was mostly “mop up” type operations. He mentioned friendly fire incidents and war atrocities he witnessed on both sides. He was awarded the unit citation Bronze Star. He told me it was a “blanket citation”…because they slept of the ground for a few months. I would really like to locate him in a photo and any additional information I can.

I’ve spent countless hours on the internet with out much success; I was hoping to get a little deeper then what I have discovered so far.

Thanks

Chris

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, he was Cannon Company of the 261st Regt.

and he did not arrive in the ETO until the 2nd week of April 1945.

I can try to help some, I have a big interest in the 65th Div as my grandfather was a medic with them thru all their stateside training and ETO campaigns.

He was in the medical detachment for the 3rd Battalion, 259th Infantry Rgt, so I doubt they would have crossed paths.

Are you looking for some unit history and such? Trying to find him in photo will be nearly impossible, I've looked for my grandfather in a couple of 65th souvenir books I have and of course, he is nowhere to be found. He looked through them too and never saw anything.

Alan