Rough cast Pilots wings

I went to an estate sale and picked up a Navigation & Dead Reckoning Briefcase along with some insignia items. One was a cast metal pilots wing that is very rough in finish. What to think of it? All items were from a WWII Army Air Corps and Air Force Vet (Colonel, Retired)

000_0997.jpg

000_0999.jpg

000_0988.jpg

Rock

2RO2.jpg

2/505th (RA) 5/502nd (RA) 2/505th (REEN)

I went to an estate sale and picked up a Navigation & Dead Reckoning Briefcase along with some insignia items. One was a cast metal pilots wing that is very rough in finish. What to think of it? All items were from a WWII Army Air Corps and Air Force Vet (Colonel, Retired)

000_0997.jpg

000_0999.jpg

000_0988.jpg

Rock

I have seen some like these which were POW camp made. Was this guy a WW2 POW?

T-Bone

I have a pair of rather rough cast pilot's wings as well. they came on an officer's khaki shirt with CBI patch and I was told by a "knowledgeable" friend some years ago that they were made in India. I offer these for comparison.

post-1107-1237139197.jpg

post-1107-1237139203.jpg

Semper fi; Bill

donation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif
donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif

I just ran into the house with the first of the horde and headed straight to the insignia bowls so I didn't catch his name or history. With his family standing around I felt like a bit of a vulture so I didn't ask questions. I can find out though.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

In general cast wings are usally tied to the CBI or POW camps. I think the POW question can be answered by Kurt or others. As for cast wings in general I am not sure there is any real way to know when or what place they had been made i.e. CBI or someones basement...

Generally speaking the fact they came from a VETs estate means that at some point he picked them up... the question is when. If I recall correctly there are a few other threads with some nice photos of shops in India that made insignia for the allied forces.

Some more information gathering may provide you some valuable clues... maybe the family has some period photos they may allow you to look at. Just think if there happens to be one that clearly shows him wearing that wing :)

Good Luck and post back any of your findings!

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

The pin back is a cheap pin back used by custom jewelry makers. Once again follow the back of the wing and manufacture. No way would a POW wing have this pin back.

The pin back is a cheap pin back used by custom jewelry makers. Once again follow the back of the wing and manufacture. No way would a POW wing have this pin back.

I'm learning here. Good information.

A guy told me that they are "sweetheart" wings; is this a possibility?

The wings are standard size so I find it odd that they'd be a sweetheart pin, but I wouldn't know.

Please advise on this point,

Rock

2RO2.jpg

Here is a thread devoted to known documented POW wings . You can make your own judgment call from the pics .

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=2135

Kurt

!!!! WANTED !!!!

WWII Prisoner of War items : Medals, Mail, Diaries, Photos, Documents, Scrapbooks + More

WWII Naval Aviation Groupings : Medals, Documents, Scrapbooks, Photos, Flight Logs, Flight Jackets + More

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gifdonation2015.gifdonation2016.gif
donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif

Go look at:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...E:X:AAQ:US:1123

Here he is selling the wing as real. "SIMILAR TO POW MADE WINGS"

Also he states:

"I have an excellent reputation for selling authentic items and this item is authentic."

You all be the judge on this one I believe it is not real.

Dammit guys, that's me selling those wings on ebay. I was going by what was said and now I've got to change it!!

If they're cheap repros then so be it. That's what I'll say.

The Veterans name was Clyde Martin, Colonel.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

With that disclaimer and a $5 - no reserve - opening price, I don't think he's trying to fool anyone.

I revised the item to reflect and "unknown" origin.

Colonel Martin was a wwii vet. I stopped by their house today but the Family lives out of state and is gone forever. They've sold all of his property and his house. I was bummed but at least I got his name.

The wings belonged to a real deal. Their origin will be unknown. The "Navigation and D. Reckoning" bag is bona-fide.

I'm not trying to fool anyone, just want to know what they are if possible. If they "resemble" but can't be confirmed then fine but they fall into some category. Just want to know what that category is, if possible.

Rock

2RO2.jpg

With that disclaimer and a $5 - no reserve - opening price, I don't think he's trying to fool anyone.

It has been my experience many buyers never look past the headline and in this case the headline is questionable... be that as it may.

The facts as I see them at this juncture are these appear to be cast wings made from a silver colored metal that according to at least on collector friend who has owned several are sweetheart wings.

John

Always looking for Wings & Named Air Medals!

Motto: To Collect, Preserve, and Remember!

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gif

donation2011.gifdonation2012.gifdonation2013.gifdonation2014.gif

i saw em sold at Pennys or Sears in the late 80's as fashion jewelry.. there were also small size USN wings, AAF winged props and little C-47's.. The line was called 'Test Pilot' as I recal.. I've got a pair of these somewhere from back then I wore on a cotton A-2 so I wouldnt lose real ones.. They do look like POW ones tho, but they are modern costume jewelry.

Fins.

That wasn't friendly fire.. If I was being 'friendly', I wouldn't have fired at them!!!

donation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2013.gif

Looks like it is probably one of those situations where a family member thought it was neat and then gave it to the vet (and he of course kept it not to be rude). I've seen that a number of times with Vietnam veterans. Family members give them a cool patch they saw on ebay or at a gun show - the patch of course is modern or sometimes its been one of those bad pakistan fakes. The veteran of course keeps it, but just the fact it is owned does not automatically mean it is genuine.

donation2007.gifdonation2008.gifdonation2009.gifdonation2010.gifdonation2011.gif

donation2017.gifdonation2018.gifdonation2019.gifdonation2020.gif