My WWI trench in my backyard

Gear Fanatic

Gear Fanatic

I didn’t really know where to post this, so I put in preservation, preserving history? I tried to make a connection. Anyway, this is my ww1 trench in my backyard, it is a work in progress and is supposed to represent the 6th division trenches in the Vosges mountains in France. There are some signs, some antiques/relics, period items, and a miniature dugout. This is all dug by hand over the course of about a month…

(sorry about the bad pictures and the non historically accurate shovels) there are also some old pics.

Enjoy!

54BB5EA6-3623-4C7A-870D-C4B674EC3396.jpeg

7CFA41F2-A369-4FD1-9FFD-7E894C461E0A.jpeg

5C540B85-06D6-41F4-A667-BB2AFAD4BF8E.jpeg

39022AD6-A017-47B3-8B30-1DDA50DF0B0A.jpeg

A0BCE716-6A6F-487B-B066-BE69BD4A6EDE.jpeg

90DC0BF0-5BEC-4F04-ABBD-9C996600DF69.jpeg

581C4DBB-3695-423D-A8B3-E68067C94B18.jpeg

AB789EFA-26D9-44CB-9811-ECD5AF884482.jpeg

E83DDE16-3817-4144-B165-DEC103B3A365.jpeg

2B716C58-A5E7-4DBD-A209-43C9EE5EE4BF.jpeg

76CAD3FF-7D36-4321-A3D8-DF6DE9249666.jpeg

D7ED7E41-30BC-46CD-BDBB-B5EAEFF3B716.jpeg

F509AEEE-5BD2-475C-BC15-BA59CFE690AC.jpeg

As a kid in the '60s, I would have wanted to play in that so bad!!  Good that you were able to do this.

Steve

Normandy1944

This reminds me of the time my brothers and I dug trenches in our garden while playing wargames.

Until the neighbour showed up because we dug a little too far towards his garden... 

Gear Fanatic

Lol yah me and my friends would “reenact” a ww1 trench raid or gas with a smoke bomb lol, I remember it being so much fun!

now we are trying to make it deeper and more historically accurate.

• 3 weeks later...

Yup, when I was a kid we had the vacant lot behind a 7-11 that was ringed by the backyards of homes our folks lived in. We used it for our trench's and fox holes. As for your delima? There is nothing you can do to stop time and weather. Burlap sand bags filled with slurry and stacked wet will act as a retaining wall and look period correct. Look for a documentry that was on a few years ago that was about looking for a WW1 French trench line in a farming area. They used recon photos and google earth to find the trench line and then they did an archiological survey on a section of the trench. It was a very cool documentry.

Gear Fanatic

Haha, no at first it was a replica mine for a school project, then it was a bunker about 6 Ft. deep with a roof then it became what it is now, we had to get rid of the bunker because it flooded and infested with these big purple spiders lol, that does not sound like a fun bunker☹️

On 8/9/2023 at 12:43 AM, P-59A said:

Yup, when I was a kid we had the vacant lot behind a 7-11 that was ringed by the backyards of homes our folks lived in. We used it for our trench's and fox holes. As for your delima? There is nothing you can do to stop time and weather. Burlap sand bags filled with slurry and stacked wet will act as a retaining wall and look period correct. Look for a documentry that was on a few years ago that was about looking for a WW1 French trench line in a farming area. They used recon photos and google earth to find the trench line and then they did an archiological survey on a section of the trench. It was a very cool documentry.

Finding WW1 trenches is not very hard in some areas of France. I've been to the Somme valley a few times and because the landscape is virtually still the same (farming land) as back then you can still see the ghosts of trenches on Google Earth (or more accurately, you see the remnants of the white chalk they dug the trenches in that was thrown over the side as extra protection). The area is littered with war cemeteries and there are a few preserved sections of trenches as well.

Gear Fanatic

Yah, I have seen videos of preserved trenches near Belgium, northern France, that was sorta what I based mine off of, I really wanted to capture how they were claustrophobic and dirty. I think I did a decent job, And other thinks like antique tins I metal detected give it a period feeling, especially the one with the bullet holes! Here’s a picture of me in the trench and my friend with fake blood and other makeup for our films that we do, just a fun hobby that gives you a more real feeling for what they actually went through, and entertains people at the same time. We try to be better with uniforms and accurate scenarios than most kids our age that do it, thanks for looking 😊

7A93B724-4BD5-45E5-B5CC-1F9D573A54CA.jpeg

876AA5CE-188A-4396-87DD-A8A9A8FF353D.jpeg

• 5 months later...
LE LOUP DES MERS

Nice, it looks good, as everybody else has mentioned I have wanted to do this as a kid too. I'm assuming you're not finished with the trench yet? It looks like you are still working on it. I'm sure you probably heard of this guy, I stumbled upon his trench setup on YouTube. His channel name his history secrets, I'll link his video in this comment, but well done I like it. https://youtu.be/PlyNP13KLEw?si=gl6CpFpPI2VRUSxC

Thanks! Some good old child labor and caffeine got the job done, it actually too a couple years to turn into this, still working on another section with another small dugout, will keep you guys posted.

Gear Fanatic