usmc recon

msgt norway

pwmiraldi67
Fantastic thread gentlemen :)

I cant express how wonderful it is to read the words of a recon marine who was THERE. Its not often I personally get to chat to many USMC personnel, over on the other side of the pond!

Thank you.

Best wishes all,

Will

P.S. Some great pictures Paul, thanks for sharing. They're a great reference :)

hey my pleasure! Ive got some cool ones from the 1st gulf war from a buddy of mine, have to start a new thread for that :)

thanks

paul

post-2472-1237525386.jpg

post-2472-1237525396.jpg

hey my pleasure! Ive got some cool ones from the 1st gulf war from a buddy of mine, have to start a new thread for that :)

thanks

paul

Are these your personal pictures, taken by you or did you acquire them....just curious whether or not you were in Recon.

By the look of the hills in the background, the top picture looks like it was taken at the base of the hill by the LZ at Camp Reasoner.

The Marine in the bottom picture looks familiar to me. Do you know the name of this Marine? v He looks like a Marine named Higgins who came to Recon shortly before I rotated home.

FYI: I posted a group of my Gulf War photos to the ephemera section a couple months ago.

pwmiraldi67
Are these your personal pictures, taken by you or did you acquire them....just curious whether or not you were in Recon.

By the look of the hills in the background, the top picture looks like it was taken at the base of the hill by the LZ at Camp Reasoner.

The Marine in the bottom picture looks familiar to me. Do you know the name of this Marine? v He looks like a Marine named Higgins who came to Recon shortly before I rotated home.

FYI: I posted a group of my Gulf War photos to the ephemera section a couple months ago.

Hey USMCRecon,

No im only 41 so I was a little young for Nam, lol I bought a large grouping of pix and of them about 30 were 3d batt Recon, or at least thats what I belive em to be. Did Curtis LeMay Air Force General ever vist reasoner??? I dont have any names on the photos but Ive sent abunch to the Recon assc. maybe they can help, :)

Im happy to share these with you and your fellow Marines, let me know and I'll scan em all for ya :)

thanks for your service :)

paul

post-2472-1237574550.jpg

post-2472-1237574563.jpg

Paul ,

Do you have the rest of these pictures .?

I seem to remember more , but I have not seen these for at least 5 years .

These are some of my favourite photos that you own Paul .

True combat candid shots showing a bunch of Heros .

owen

pwmiraldi67
Paul ,

Do you have the rest of these pictures .?

I seem to remember more , but I have not seen these for at least 5 years .

These are some of my favourite photos that you own Paul .

True combat candid shots showing a bunch of Heros .

owen

Hey O

yep still got a bunch of them sold a few of the orginals but made lots of copies, Ive got a big stack of em still not all are as high speed as these though, :)

p

post-2472-1237593086.jpg

post-2472-1237593106.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
this ones my fav, the Marine wearing the WWII era rain garment and matching rain hat too cool!!!

P

I was issued a pull-over rain jacket just like the one pictured here. It had "U..S. N." stenciled on the right breast area in black. I never had any of the trousers.

I don't remember ever taking it to the field and used it mostly on the combat base. Not many Recon Marines took rain gear to the bush unless we were going to one of the permanent OPs. It made noise when a branch slapped against it and it crackled (kind of a rattling sound) when it flexed while walking around in it.

It also made an unusual noise when raindrops hit it and it took up space in the rucksack that could have been used for more ammo, grenades, food, etc. In most cases, when it rained, we just got wet.

Hey USMCRecon,

No im only 41 so I was a little young for Nam, lol I bought a large grouping of pix and of them about 30 were 3d batt Recon, or at least thats what I belive em to be. Did Curtis LeMay Air Force General ever vist reasoner??? I dont have any names on the photos but Ive sent abunch to the Recon assc. maybe they can help, :)

Im happy to share these with you and your fellow Marines, let me know and I'll scan em all for ya :)

thanks for your service :)

paul

If those are pics of 3rd Recon, I wouldn't have known more than a couple of them.

I don't remember LeMay ever coming down to Camp Reasoner during the time I was there. That said, however, if I was out in the bush when he visited, I doubt I would have known about it. We usually viewed dignitaries as more of an annoyance than anything else as we had to run around and clean up our little Potemkin Village for them. We usually didn't take much interest unless we were ordered to...Ann Margaret and any USO show with females in the troupe being the exception, of course!! Harry Reasoner visited once for about an hour with a camera crew. We did take interest in him as we were all hoping to get a flash of our mugs on the nightly news for the folks at home.

Whenever the Red Cross girls made a visit to the club (infrequent...they usually went to the Officer's club), anyone who was in the base camp (and who knew about it) showed up.