US WWII M6 Scabbard

Bob M

Hi guys,

is this M6 scabbard an cheap fake or an ultra rare maker which no one has ever heard off? :lol:

134.JPG

Bob

Greg Robinson

L & C was a maker of the M6 knife scabbard in 1943. It's one of the less common makers. So is it legit? From what I can see in that pic it looks OK but can't say for sure....can you post more pics?

Hi guys,

is this M6 scabbard an cheap fake or an ultra rare maker which no one has ever heard off? :lol:

Bob

L&C = Lyon and Coulson--one of the six makers:

1. Viner Bros. Shoe Co.

2. Moose River Shoe Co.

3. Lyon and Coulson

4. Service Boot and Leggins Co., Inc.

5. Milwaukee Saddlery Co.

6. Barwood Manufacturing Co.

Greg Robinson

I just looked at the pics and, yes, they really were that creamy tan color when new. You just don't see them like this very often. No flaws jumped out at me but I have to admit I've not handled that many M6's and only one that was close to be this nice.

This is my M6 scabbard:

001.JPG

I like this color better then the creamy one showed above.

Bob

I saw the auction closed early.I have an M6 in similiar condition.Things I have noticed are some of the repos(and very good ones I admit)do not use the correct style of 4 in the 1943.The repos use an open 4 where all the WW2 ones are closed.Also have noticed they add periods between the M and 6 (U.S.M.6.).All mine and one I have seen are marked U.S.M6

The originals will usually have eight throat stapels on most models.I have seen the Moose Co vary with 7 to 10 staples.The plate on the tip is a galvanized steel.Just some obsevations,hope this helps.

RON

• 1 month later...
Guest saddler

On a slightly related topic - whats the story about the staples used by 3 of the M6 makers??

I have heard very mixed reports on their origin - but noticed that they same "daimond" or "coffin" (for want of a better description) staple are also found on the inside lid of the Binocular case for the WW2 M17 Binoculars

I am trying to find out more about the M6 scabbards - even as far as the MIL_SPEC data - but cannot seem to get much detail at all

Any help would be appreciated

jon

According to Frank Trzaska, the "staples" were really laces for holding leather machinery drive belts together, and they were installed to prevent the sharp knife edges from slicing the throat of the sheath when the knife was withdrawn or replaced.

General Apathy

Saddler & Gunbarrel, reading your two posts it appears that you are both talking about different staples. Saddler is enquiring about the spaced out staples along the side edges, and gunbarrel is referring to the line of staples across the throat of the scabbard.

It is possible that both staples originate from the joining together of leather drive belts for machinery. As I worked in tailoring when I first left school then I saw these staples laying around unused in the machinery rooms of the tailors. The single staples down the side of the scabbard were used in the twenties, thirties and into the forties for joining the ends together of round leather belts for sewing machines. The line of joined staples I remember seeing in flat lengths ( maybe 12 inches ) which could be chopped to size for whatever width of flat belt used to drive looms in the process of weaving material. All these staples were made redundant when rubber drive belts came into use.

Cheers ( Lewis )

Lewis,

Thank you--you are absolutely right. I don't know how I read over the words "diamonds, or coffin"! :blink:

Guest saddler

Hi Guys - thanks for the input - esp Lewis...

I have managed to find out about the "Lacing strips" for the mouth of the M6 - they ARE indeed 12" long & are still made today

Its still a problem trying to get a DEFINITE answer on the edge staples though!! I have also heard that these too were used to join industrial belting - never heard the sewing machine belt theory before - not sure if they are strong enough for that one...

The fact that the SAME staples are also found in the WW2 binocular case to me means they would have been an "off the shelf" product - just who's shelf is the million dollar question

Further input would be welcome - as I have only been trying to solve this one for about 15 or so years.... crying.gif

Jon

I can relate to the theory about the machinery drivebelts. When I was working maintaince in a cardboard factory, these staples were all around, and frequently used for the belts in the machines. So yes, these are still used to this day. If it would be interesting, I could try to find out who supplies these to the machine shop at the factory. Maybe this could shed some more light?

Regards

Stijn

craig_pickrall

There are two companies that make them that I know of. One is Alligator Lacing and I can't recall the name of the second company. You might try doing a Google search for McMaster-Carr and once you get to their catalog search for belt lacing.

You can do the same thing using:

Applied Industrial Technologies

or

Motion Industries

Hi Guys - thanks for the input - esp Lewis...

I have managed to find out about the "Lacing strips" for the mouth of the M6 - they ARE indeed 12" long & are still made today

Its still a problem trying to get a DEFINITE answer on the edge staples though!! I have also heard that these too were used to join industrial belting - never heard the sewing machine belt theory before - not sure if they are strong enough for that one...

The fact that the SAME staples are also found in the WW2 binocular case to me means they would have been an "off the shelf" product - just who's shelf is the million dollar question

Further input would be welcome - as I have only been trying to solve this one for about 15 or so years.... crying.gif

Jon

I take it Jon your looking to repro the m6 for the re-enactment market.

Dave.

Guest saddler
I take it Jon your looking to repro the m6 for the re-enactment market.

Dave.

Hi Dave - yes - that WAS the plan! Or at least I thought it would be good to do when I was re-enacting myself in the late 80's - so my maths is a bit out & I have been trying to sort this out for about 20 years now

I have everything ready to go now apart from the staples

Further thanks also to Craig & Stijn for their input too

Jon