Vietnam Era Pilot/Air Crew Wings Question

kklinejr

I was looking at a helo pilot WO's uniform that seemed right as rain with one oddity (to me, at least)- The uniform featured both air crew and pilot wings on it. Would this have been done according to regulations for '68-69 if an enlisted man moved up to WO and pilot?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ken

Aussie-Wings
I was looking at a helo pilot WO's uniform that seemed right as rain with one oddity (to me, at least)- The uniform featured both air crew and pilot wings on it. Would this have been done according to regulations for '68-69 if an enlisted man moved up to WO and pilot?

Thank you for any help you can provide.

Ken

Hi Ken,

Sounds odd think.gif Do you have photo to post.

Cheers,

AW.

militarymodels

One of them must be unknowingly added on by a family member or the seller. It's like one wears an NCO patch and a captain bar :lol:

Cobrahistorian

Which is on top? If the pilot wings are, I could possibly see it as a legit second-tour item (where the guy was a crew chief the first time around and wanted to let everyone know he was a crewdog first). That doesn't fall within regs, but I don't think that it is impossible. If the crew wings are on top, I doubt that they're original to it.

Thanks for the replies, guys.

I ask this question because, on a hunch, I purchased a 95% complete and untouched uniform that has been primarily identified as a helo pilot. What threw me off was a double set of identically matched pinholes where wings would be worn (the only items removed from the uniform). At first I thought perhaps they could be air assualt and CIB pinholes, however they would not match up (the pinholes match wings perfectly and the clutch marks on the interior show that both were there for quite some time). Asking an area collector about this, he showed me one of his legit WO uniforms that had both pilot and crew member wings (pilot on top, crew below). Both of us knew it seemed screwy, but we weren't sure if it may have been allowed. I can't show his uniform as he hates having his collection photographed and "known" - a little paranoid ermm.gif , but here is the one I picked up on the cheap.

As a first step at identifying the uniform, it could have belonged to WO Joe Hall, formerly A Company, 158th Aviation Batalion, 101st Division (the only WO Hall I could find in the 101st). I have attached the group photo of his unit in 1968, he is fourth from the left, first row. The uniform he is wearing could be this one and shows flight wings and jump wings only. This may be a primary in-country photo. The uniform has primary flight school current service and 101st (velvet) combat service SSI. The DUI are for flight school as well. All insignia and badges have been there for a long time as they are rust marked and basically welded into place.

Concerning the uniform, I originally figured that the pinholes were probably made by the same set of wings simply being moved or perhaps a row of ribbonry was moved. Who knows...I just wanted to ask about the possibility of double sets of wings to see if it was actually allowed in some cases.

Thanks for your input and if you may have any further information on this piece, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

post-99-1237131339.jpg

...perhaps a row of ribbonry was moved...

For sure: Ribbons on the pocket flap? Align them to their proper position above the pocket flap to see if this solves your pinhole problem.

post-1963-1237140765.jpg

For sure: Ribbons on the pocket flap? Align them to their proper position above the pocket flap to see if this solves your pinhole problem.

Thought of that first, but ribbons are on a three clutch, period plastic rack as opposed to the four. They've been on that pocket flap for a long time as the clutches are sealed to their rack and have left slight stains in the under pocket fabric. Basically, I'll just leave it as found. no big deal. Thanks for the suggestion.

Ken

...They've been on that pocket flap for a long time as the clutches are sealed to their rack and have left slight stains in the under pocket fabric...

Thanks for letting us know. "No big deal" maybe. Very interesting, nevertheless....and very doubtful that any chief warrant officer wore his ribbons this way while on active duty (or any other time for that matter).

• 3 weeks later...

Having flown over 1800 combat hours both as a Warrant and later a RLO in VN, I doubt that any pilot would have worn enlisted crew member wings and his pilots wings at the same time. I never saw such an arrangement in my 25 years of military service. But nothing is impossible.