Medal of honor engraving

salfred

The following three medals are from the Washington Navy Yard Museum collection. I photographed them about 20 years ago and this is the first time these images have been published online.

post-10651-0-34009000-1421175329.jpg

• 1 year later...

I found these two photos while consolidating my computer profile prior to updating to Win10: yet another fine example of old school engraving which (IMHO) should have remained the standard. Credit for images is eMedals; sold around January 2015.

BB&B 1904 contract, silver-base star.

Outstanding.

post-152102-0-27098000-1460244182.jpg

post-152102-0-17037700-1460244183.jpg

Lets get 1st Lt. Gott's group up here for future reference too. Photo credit to SLEV2252, i simply resized it; hope thats ok.

post-152102-0-85507600-1460304889.jpg

And Gunnery Sgt. Daly's. Credit: OP in that thread.

(Note: looks like someone took cutters to the hanger; it would be interesting to see the final display. Hopefully the pieces didn't end up in a trashcan and can be restored. But it does reveal the cross-section of the hanger.)

post-152102-0-56953900-1460305933.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

In doing some research related to The Landing at Vera Cruz in the spring of 1914, i came across the attached photo showing the engraving style of that period; both photos are from the collection of the Naval History and Heritage Command. The photo of the reverse of Chief Turret Captain's Desomer's medal looks to have been made by laying it down on a photocopy machine but you get the idea: pretty standard stuff for the time. More interesting to me is the fact that it is configured as a breast badge and how the ribbon is sewn. Conventional knowledge is that that configuration ended at 1913. The presentation of the medals of G.O.101 & G.O.116 occurred on a cold January day in 1915 aboard the USS Florida in the New York Navy Yard (Brooklyn) more than a whole year later so it looks like the Navy Department elected to use up its stock of breast badges; sounds reasonable. The second photo, taken later in Desomer's career, shows that it was authorized to remain a breast badge but hung from a cravat; obviously this was a time of transition for the Navy medal. The awards of G.O.177 were probably plain cravats (although i have seen pictures of Adm.Fletcher's decoration hung from a plain neck ribbon and one with a rectangular frame/cravat setup).

This has long been a curiosity of mine because as a lad of 13 or so i visited the home of Adm.O'Donnell to view his medals. The maid ushered us (my father had to drive me) into the Admiral's study but unfortunately they were framed and we didn't want to push the envelope. The medal however had a neck ribbon with pad: he elected to change over from the original configuration. Bottom line? maybe put an asterisk in Col. Gleim's Medal of Honor publication indicating "about the end of 1914" for the Navy Type IV and something for the Type V too.

I sure would be interested in seeing any photos of the G.O. 101 & 116 awards other enthusiasts may have or know of.......heresay would be ok too as well as corrections to anything i may have offered.

post-152102-0-27459400-1462810178.jpg

post-152102-0-99509900-1462810183.jpg

• 3 months later...
  • 6 years later...
  • 2 months later...

The National Museum of the Pacific War had Captain Cassin Young’s Medal of Honor out today. Pretty incredible to consider what he did 81 years ago this morning.
I asked to see the engraving on the back, and they were happy to show me. My photos didn’t turn out great, but here it is! 

7CCB4943-C91E-40E7-817C-4AE8366EF186.jpeg

96ABB585-944E-408E-B9CE-BAECA2D12497.jpeg

2 hours ago, patrick_usmc said:

The National Museum of the Pacific War had Captain Cassin Young’s Medal of Honor out today. Pretty incredible to consider what he did 81 years ago this morning.
I asked to see the engraving on the back, and they were happy to show me. My photos didn’t turn out great, but here it is! 

7CCB4943-C91E-40E7-817C-4AE8366EF186.jpeg

96ABB585-944E-408E-B9CE-BAECA2D12497.jpeg

That's an amazingly good museum. Visited last May when the USS Indianapolis Survivors had a reunion there.

It is a fantastic museum! One of my favorites for sure.
I would have loved to have been at that, I bet it was neat. 

They have a Pearl Harbor commemoration every year. Until very recently, there was at least one survivor in attendance every year.
This year, they did it a bit differently than usual, and had a presentation featuring a lot of oral history recordings. They also brought out some artifacts from storage, including Young’s medal. 
It was very well done! 

• 2 months later...