Medal of honor engraving

salfred

"NONE of the medals pictured here are in private hands -- they are all either currently in a museum in Ohio, or in US Government hands. If any crusaders insist on pursuing the source of these photos, I'll gladly give them the 4-digit grid coordinates of their current, legal, authorized locations."

I have seen this comment, or something close to it, a couple of times when MOHs are pictured. Is this an issue with someone, or some govermnment entity?

I am curious thought, where is the Chambers display located? That is one I had not seen before.

Does anyone have an engraving on any of the current awarded MoH's (say, within the last 15 years). It would be interesting to see the older engraving as compared to the current engravings.

Johnny R.

I have many from many wars civil war thru vietnam

just joined this sie and tyring to figure out how to post the medals of honor back sides

david

eb1

I have many from many wars civil war thru vietnam

just joined this sie and tyring to figure out how to post the medals of honor back sides

david

eb1

Already sent a PM last night offering to help...just let me know if I can.

Dave

I have seen this comment, or something close to it, a couple of times when MOHs are pictured. Is this an issue with someone, or some govermnment entity?

I am curious thought, where is the Chambers display located? That is one I had not seen before.

This is a major issue with private individuals with misguided principles. If they suspect private ownership of a Medal of Honor, they will report that person to the FBI, who will then launch an investigation. Private ownership of the medal isn't technically illegal, but you have to prove you acquired it legally otherwise it's a major headache and a lot of money, time, and effort which basically renders the thing un-ownable. This HAS happened in the recent past, and will likely happen again. I don't want to make any trouble for the museum that holds most of the medals I photographed, so hence the disclaimer. My opinion on the matter is that there are collectors who suffer from the "if I can't nobody can" mentality, or people who think that a private individual is somehow dishonoring military awards by keeping them preserved in a private collection. Sadly, though, when they are confiscated by the FBI, most often they are destroyed so nobody wins.

The Chambers medal and display is one you won't likely see unless you enlist in the US Marine Corps or Marine Corps reserves. I had the honor of caring for it while I was in, cleaned everything up (there was a considerable amount of dust on the case). My numerous attempts to get them to take the BDU camo out of the back of the shadowbox and replace it with something more appropriate to WWII went nowhere, so it remains on woodland camo. Personally, I think green HBT or khaki or just plain black felt would've looked a lot better.

This is a major issue with private individuals with misguided principles. If they suspect private ownership of a Medal of Honor, they will report that person to the FBI, who will then launch an investigation. Private ownership of the medal isn't technically illegal, but you have to prove you acquired it legally otherwise it's a major headache and a lot of money, time, and effort which basically renders the thing un-ownable. This HAS happened in the recent past, and will likely happen again. I don't want to make any trouble for the museum that holds most of the medals I photographed, so hence the disclaimer. My opinion on the matter is that there are collectors who suffer from the "if I can't nobody can" mentality, or people who think that a private individual is somehow dishonoring military awards by keeping them preserved in a private collection. Sadly, though, when they are confiscated by the FBI, most often they are destroyed so nobody wins.

The Chambers medal and display is one you won't likely see unless you enlist in the US Marine Corps or Marine Corps reserves. I had the honor of caring for it while I was in, cleaned everything up (there was a considerable amount of dust on the case). My numerous attempts to get them to take the BDU camo out of the back of the shadowbox and replace it with something more appropriate to WWII went nowhere, so it remains on woodland camo. Personally, I think green HBT or khaki or just plain black felt would've looked a lot better.

OK, thanks for the explanation. Unfortunately, I understand that this happens, but not why.

So Col. Chambers' MOH is at the Marine Barracks at 8th and I?

Correct me if I'm wrong... but did not the Supreme Court or some recent US Court of Law ruled that this "Stolen Valor Act" was unconstitutional on its face.(?)

Johnny R.

This Government is always straining for the nat and ending up swallowing the camel!

Correct me if I'm wrong... but did not the Supreme Court or some recent US Court of Law ruled that this "Stolen Valor Act" was unconstitutional on its face.(?)

Johnny R.

This Government is always straining for the nat and ending up swallowing the camel!

If the MoH is going to be singled out as an only illegal medal to own. Then the same reasoning must and should apply to all U.S. medals. How many politicians have lied in the past few years for serving and or earning certain medals that later have been proven false...and what happened to them(?)... they all got re-elected—now go figure that one out. This country has majored in the minors for so long it has almost become a nation of laughable leaders.

They should indite all the politicians who calm to be something that they are not, and call it the Stolen Respect Act. When ever these people claim something that they are not—they are stealing respect and honor from the people who have served with honor in the military and or their country of some decent and honorable way.

It's these so-called leader/politicians that dishonor the country, these are the people we should be ashamed of. But all we do is pass feel-good legislation that does nothing but glosses over the real problems we face today as a nation adrift on a sea of relativity.

They should pass another law and call it the "Stolen Respect Act". How appropriate is that!

Johnny R. :w00t:

http://www.military.com/news/article/judge...-illegal--.html

post-8038-1293501907.jpg

Already sent a PM last night offering to help...just let me know if I can.

Dave

You can

This site seems like it is hard to navigate around

be patient with me if I do not get onto it right away

thanks

David

erby1

You can

This site seems like it is hard to navigate around

be patient with me if I do not get onto it right away

thanks

David

erby1

Don't worry Dave... we all have trouble navigating sites at one time. We all remember the first time someone had to help us work something pertaining to a computer.

Johnny R. :thumbsup: —don't give up my friend.

Sorry guys but can I ask if we can keep this thread on track. It is a shame that one cannot talk about the Medal of Honor without someone commenting on the legality of owning one. I first started this topic as I am genuinely interested in the study of the engraving of the Medal of Honor. I would just like to see reverse pics of the Medal of Honor engraving. If we could keep Stolen Valor Act legislation discussion for another topic.

Thank you.

OMSA has a thread with some very interesting info on MoH engraving. i have no idea if what is stated is true, (if anyone has any further info on the "Solalia" MoH engraving or lack there of...mentioned on the thread...please post it here) but worth a read pertaining to this subject.

Johnny R.

http://www.omsa.org/forums/showthread.php?t=241

This of course is not the MoH (i.e. Presidential Medal of Freedom/reverse side) but does show a major interesting comparison/difference of engraving styles from one medal to another.

Johnny R.

post-8038-1293507063.jpg

• 1 year later...
I found another Pittman MOH medal pic. Looks like a much earlier medal when compaired to the other pic.

I like the engraving on this medal much better then the one we saw earlier. (I have taken the liberty to repost your picture as I noticed it was posted in "photobucket". I hope you don't mind.)

post-8213-1330914755.jpg

johnnyrocket

Jack's Son posting looks to me like it was the original medal that was presented to Pittman and the rest were (probably official Government?) replacement medals for Pittman.

I've heard over the years that there are many replacement Pittman MoH's out there in collector land.

Johnny R.

• 1 month later...
johnnyrocket

Here is an interesting image I just found on the OMSA site. It shows a Korean MoH with a rather modern engraving on its reverse, quite different from what has been previously post on the Forum. The MoH style is accurate for the Korean period, but I have never seen this type hanger for this period award.

Johnny R.

http://www.omsa.org/photopost/search.php?searchid=8052

post-8038-1334194056.jpg

Jack's Son posting looks to me like it was the original medal that was presented to Pittman and the rest were (probably official Government?) replacement medals for Pittman.

I've heard over the years that there are many replacement Pittman MoH's out there in collector land.

Johnny R.

Wasn't Pittman the one who was selling his replacement MOHs for profit?

johnnyrocket
Wasn't Pittman the one who was selling his replacement MOHs for profit?

He's the one—I've heard he sold about 9-10 of them...they were supposedly official Government issued (replacements) I guess.

Johnny R.

johnnyrocket
John Finn - Pearl Harbor Dec 7, 1941

I've never seen one with this much engraving—never.

Johnny R.