Lets see some WWII US NAVAL AVIATION UNIFORMS!

KASTAUFFER

I thought it might be interesting to see what WWII US Naval Aviator uniforms and Flight Jackets are out there on the forum!

I will get it started with this set:

WWII M-422A Flight Jacket and Uniform to Capt Prentis K. Will . He graduated from the USNA in 1931 . He was present during the Pearl Harbor attack , serving as Exec with VJ-2 on Ford Island . His LOM is for service from 12/7/41 until the end of the war for service with various VJ squadrons.

WILL_1.JPG

WILL_2.JPG

WILL_2a.JPG

His uniform . The ribbon bars are of the sew on variety . He was clearly eligible for battle stars on the Asiatic Pacific campaign medal , but there are no stars on his ribbon bar.

WILL_3.JPG

WILL_4.JPG

CNY Militaria

Great set you have there! Here is my only set. It unnamed for now, but I am working on that with the seller. It came with 5 pairs pf pants as well. The wings are WWII meyer pinback! I have no idea about the last ribbon. Any ideas?

Picture_216.jpg

Picture_217.jpg

Here's one you don't see too often. USN Aviation Greens for a 4 striper Naval Flight Surgeon.

Kurt

Nice one... There was one of these on Ebay last week that went for a pretty penny.

Kurt

Kurt-

Was it the wing or blouse?

Kurt

Av Green blouse with bullion wing . It sold for $300 if I recall correctly.

Kurt

Kurt, here is one of my favorite jumpers. The thing I like is that it has both the Air Gunner and Radarman specialty marks. Also, a nice set of wings and ribbon bar. Unfortunately, the name is washed out on the tag, Mark.

post-527-1174939066.jpg post-527-1174939084.jpgpost-527-1174939104.jpg

This one I got right from the vet last year. He was an Aviation Ordinanceman 2nd with VT-6 flying TBM's off the Hancock. I met him at an airshow where I had set up a display-he gave me all of his wartime memorabilia. You never know what you will find out there but it proves it's still out there. Mark.

post-527-1174939266.jpg post-527-1174939283.jpg

Kurt, here is one of my favorite jumpers. The thing I like is that it has both the Air Gunner and Radarman specialty marks. Also, a nice set of wings and ribbon bar. Unfortunately, the name is washed out on the tag, Mark.

Nice jumper Mark. thumbsup.gif Most people dont realize how hard it is to find a WWII USN Aviation related jumper like this with the insignia intact. Its especially hard to find them with ribbons and wings still there.

The VT-6 Jumper is awesome!

Kurt

Nice jumper Mark. thumbsup.gif Most people dont realize how hard it is to find a WWII USN Aviation related jumper like this with the insignia intact. Its especially hard to find them with ribbons and wings still there.

The VT-6 Jumper is awesome!

Kurt

WOW!!! GREAT Jumpers!!! thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Best regards,

Ricardo.

Really like the Aviation Radioman/Air Gunner/Radarman Qual jumper

Here is one of the jumpers in my collection.

It was worn by AMM1c John C. Witter of Patrol Bombing Squadron 20 during WWII. He was a crewman on a PPM Mariner . Note the AM with the large gold star.

amm1c.jpg

amm1c2.jpg

Aviation Green uniform worn by Lt. Harry E. Leslie who served with VF-29 on the USS Cabot. He was KIA on 10/29/44 when his plane was hit by AA over the Philippines. He is credited with 2 kills.

leslie.jpg

leslie1.jpg

Dress uniform worn by Ens. Charles H. MacAllister who served with VT-5 and was KIA on March 18, 1945 when the USS Franklin was attacked by Jaoanese aircraft. This uniform was sent to his family after Big Ben made it back to port.

macuni.jpg

macuni1.jpg

post-94-1174869591.jpg

Great set you have there! Here is my only set. It unnamed for now, but I am working on that with the seller. It came with 5 pairs pf pants as well. The wings are WWII meyer pinback! I have no idea about the last ribbon. Any ideas?

Hi Schottzie

It looks like a National Defence ribbon to me. The star would signify to me that he was in during both the Korean War and the Vietnam war eras. The lack of campaign ribbons means he probably was stateside during that time.

Kurt

Here is another one out of the closet . This one was worn by an ARM3c flying missions over the Bay of Biscay with VPB-103. He took a bullion " Chiefs Rate" and made a 3rd class rate out of it. There probably was a Combat Aircrew wing on this at one time, but it is missing.

Kurt

103.JPG

103_1.JPG

103_2.JPG

776thamtrac

First up we have Maj. Bo Sweet. USMCR Bo's wife recently game me all of the irems she had that belonged to this fellow Devil Dog. Included were two lockers full. Here's a sample of what was inside. Bo flew first with VMS-1 and later he was flying R4D's with MAG-25.

post-755-1175040191.jpg

post-755-1175040202.jpg

post-755-1175040216.jpg

post-755-1175040226.jpg

post-755-1175040235.jpg

776thamtrac

Ok one last thing. Just to stick these somewhere. The VF-113 Flight Jacket patches belonged to my wife's Grandfather. He flew Panthers with them in Korea. Also as a side note here he can be seen in the background of several shots of The Bridges at Toko Ri from the early shooting that was done during his time on Oriskany in 1954. The three HATRON 4 patches were his brothers who flew in Vietnam.

post-755-1175041068.jpg

CNY Militaria
post-94-1174869591.jpg

Hi Schottzie

It looks like a National Defence ribbon to me. The star would signify to me that he was in during both the Korean War and the Vietnam war eras. The lack of campaign ribbons means he probably was stateside during that time.

Kurt

That sounds right, I bet the ribbon just faded a bit. Thanks for the info!

Justin

• 5 years later...

Here's my favorite officers uniform to Paul W Schlegel. He earn the Navy cross in the battle of Midway.

Awards and Citations

1. medals_navy_cross_100x200.jpg
    Navy Cross
    See more recipients of this award
    Awarded for actions during the World War II
    The President of the United States of America takes pleasure in presenting the Navy Cross to Ensign Paul Wahl Schlegel, United States Naval Reserve, for extraordinary heroism in operations against the enemy while serving as Pilot of a carrier-based Navy Dive Bomber of Bombing Squadron THREE (VB-3), attached to the U.S.S. YORKTOWN (CV-5), during the "Air Battle of Midway," against enemy Japanese forces on 4 - 6 June 1942. Ensign Schlegel took part in dive-bombing attacks against Japanese naval forces in the Battle of Midway. Disregarding the extreme danger from intense anti-aircraft fire and enemy fighter opposition, he, vigorously and with heroic determination, pressed home his attacks against the Japanese invasion fleet thereby contributing in great measure to the glorious and decisive victory of our forces. His outstanding courage and determined skill were at all times inspiring and in keeping with the highest traditions of the United States Naval Service.
    Action Date: June 4 - 6, 1942
    Service: Navy
    Company: Bombing Squadron 3 (VB-3)
    Division: U.S.S. Yorktown (CV-5)
    post-2501-0-37829600-1360537517.jpg
    post-2501-0-81803400-1360537514.jpg
    post-2501-0-84175100-1360537515.jpg