Clothing bag, waterproof, May 1945

Keith

My other garage sale find today. I found a reference to it in the GI Collector's guide so believe I know what it is. A couple of questions I have: The number starting with a G is the GI's last name initial and last four digits of his service number...correct? There is a professional repair to this bag that probably was done while in service and it is complete and looks good. Are these bags scarce? Thanks.

clothing_bag_1.jpg

clothing_bag_2.jpg

craig_pickrall

I don't think you can call those bags scarce or rare but then all of the stuff made almost 65 years ago is getting harder to find.

Those bags were used as laundry bags but also were used to keep other gear dry in the field. You see them used to carry sleeping bags quite often.

cherokee tj

Most of them got used up after the servicemen came home, I still use mine as a dirty clothes bag when I travel that was issued to me by the army in 1969.

Greg Robinson

I own one of those with Korean War dates that was double stamped.....having nomenclature and contract information for both Army and Marine Corps. I believe the Marines used them to carry their M1949 sleeping bags

craig_pickrall

This is an example of the bag Greg mentioned.

post-5-1237137961.jpg

post-5-1237137968.jpg

This is another USMC bag.

post-5-1237137976.jpg

This is an example of the bag Greg mentioned.

post-5-1237137961.jpg

post-5-1237137968.jpg

This is another USMC bag.

post-5-1237137976.jpg

Thanks for the photo. Mine looks the same but no double stamp and no contract tag. It has the sealed seams like yours. Regards,