1911 Holster

evstringer

This a 1911 holster that I bought around 1966 in Albuquerque, New Mexico for $2.00. I recall there was a large box full of them and another box full of shoulder holsters.

I got it to carry my Colt 38 Super but put it away when my brother made me a nice flap holster that I thought would be less rough on the finish on my pistol.

post-5609-1237006074.jpg

post-5609-1237006087.jpg

post-5609-1237006102.jpg

You should have bought both boxes. It's a super condition WWII item, which months ago would have easy reached 100$ value on ebay.

Mint holsters like this bring a premium. I think you might be surpised at what you could get for it. My guess would be quite a bit more than $100.00. Now, get in that time machine and grab the rest of them, and the shoulder holsters too.

NIce holster.I managed to pick up a Milwaukee Saddelry last summer and it still has most of the original wrapping paper on it.

Were the holsters all missing the wire belt hanger?Just curious as I have seen this before and wonder if it was a common surplus modification when sold after the war.

RD

Thanks to all for the responses.

I removed the hanger fairly soon after I got it because I was wearing it on a regular wide leather belt and thought the hanger was in the way. I kept the hanger for a long time but apparently it got lost or thrown away during one of the several moves I made.

Below is a picture of the hanger area – there are some marks but they look different than the ones artu44 pictured.

post-5609-1237211671.jpg

Thanks to all for the responses.

I removed the hanger fairly soon after I got it because I was wearing it on a regular wide leather belt and thought the hanger was in the way. I kept the hanger for a long time but apparently it got lost or thrown away during one of the several moves I made.

Below is a picture of the hanger area – there are some marks but they look different than the ones artu44 pictured.

Marks are differents because hanger two ribs wasn't straight then only ribs point leaved marks. Too bad this kind of holster has a steel hanger and it's quite difficult to replace it straightening one side of a spare one.

You should have bought both boxes. It's a super condition WWII item, which months ago would have easy reached 100$ value on ebay.

Holster, shmolster

The Colt Super 38 that rode in it could be worth thousands!

Holster, shmolster

The Colt Super 38 that rode in it could be worth thousands!

My pistol was made in 1964 so it is not worth thousands, however it is worth a whole lot more than the holster I pictured above.

The holster that my brother made for me in the 1960s is what is most valuable to me. It is one of a kind and he is not around to make any more for me.

post-5609-1237694606.jpg

post-5609-1237694616.jpg

That looks like about 95-100% blue left to me! Nice Colt Super, that's a pistol I don't often see. Beautiful pistol

Your brother was quite a craftsman. Did he do that as a pastime, or was he a pro? I ask becasue that looks like quite a professional job

I just bought my first Colt yesterday, a 1903 hammerless made in 1920. Very excited

Thanks for your nice comments Chris_B.

My brother was an electrical engineer and worked with advanced top-secret computer system projects at Sandia Laboratories from 1962 until he died in 1993.

He did leather tooling as a hobby to relax from the pressures at work. He liked doing the lacing too. I tried making a holster for my Ruger Single Six and it is not anywhere nice as the ones he made. He had to do the lacing for me because I just could not do a decent job of it.

He also enjoyed calligraphy and was very good at it.

Congrats on the Colt 1903 - I would be excited too!!