ww1 bolo scabbard help

historylives

historylives

hello, can some one help me with the originality of this item? for a 100 year old piece it looks to good. question is real or fake?

thank you.

s-l1600 (1).png

s-l1600 (8).jpg

s-l1600.png

It looks good to me, I have a Brauer Bros. 1918 dated one just like it. The WW1 produced bolo scabbards show up pretty regularly in excellent condition. They can look almost too good as you said. It is my understanding a large quantity of these (scabbards only) in unissued condition were turned up in storage a few years ago. For a while it seemed like every militaria or knife dealer at gun shows had them very reasonably priced. That glut is pretty much absorbed into collections at this point.

original scabbard and cover. These will show up in like new condition. I use to see the sets  as well as just the cover for sale back in the 1980s. Someone must have found a stash of them. I knew one seller at a local gunshow who sold the canvas covers for $3 that were new old stock, I recall he had around 300 of them he told me. He didnt seem to sell very many at the time. Eventually they all disappeared. 

• 1 month later...