WWII Desert Training Center

Found this pic and wondered why they did this? Helmets sitting upside down on three short stakes. It's not to collect water as the camps had water and wasn't done at all camps.

Untitled.jpg

268th C.A.

It looks like maybe water for shaving was coming around... Just a guess. The helmets wouldn't roll over and spill the water.... no liners inside...

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Ummm, I have been to a couple of sites in the Mojave. Of the ones I have been to, the walkways were lined with rocks and the footprints of the tents were clearly defined. At the end of the run of tents the footprint of the outhouse area was also clearly defined. Next to the place were chow was served was a place to pee in the shape of a trough. In between the tents I found the guys tossed old razor blades and small trash. Maybe, before the camp sites were fully operational they did this.

post-169522-0-48109200-1534736210.jpg

post-169522-0-57829100-1534737052.jpg

My dad did some of his basic training in Needles, CA before heading off to the Pacific. He told one story about a group playing cards in a tent when someone outside tossed a rattlesnake in and scattered the card players.