My new HGU-55P helmet restoration project

Mikeym_us

Well this helmet came in today I paid around $200 for it on Ebay. It didn't come with a visor I had this visor and a MBU-5 cut visor that I got in a parts lot 2 years ago. So far I need to replace the nape strap on this chin strap is good. Need a 4708 cord along with visor bumpers impact liner earcups and speakers. I do have a Zeta liner already came in another parts lot with other stuff. Fun part I think will be the fabric which looks like a 2 part affair be interesting to figure out how to glue it back in though. The helmet is Size Large and made in 1985 and the visor interestingly enough is a 1986 manufacture date.

IMG_1947.JPG

IMG_1948.JPG

IMG_1949.JPG

IMG_1950.JPG

IMG_1951.JPG

IMG_1952.JPG

5 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

nice early contract  ..

What is also interesting is the bayonet receivers were screwed in then covered over with the mesh and fabric. I'm going to have a fun time gluing those in. LOL I'm pretty sure this might be a Langley AFB helmet as they were TAC HQ and all the new stuff filters to them first before distributing out to the other bases. I'm glad I got this cheap since 55's are getting up there in price.

3 hours ago, FlightGearSTL said:

Your visor is MBU12 cut 👍 nice project 

I also have a Mbu-5/P cut clear visor as well.

• 3 weeks later...

The parts I ordered from Flighthelmet.com arrived yesterday and were put in except the 4708 cord. I have the foam impact liner installed and a Zeta liner put in. I'll eventually replace that with a 2 piece liner. Earcups in the picture were replaced with a older Roanwell set for the HGU-26 as those were similar in design for the ones used in the HGU-33/34 and the HGU-55 though I could always replace those with the ear puds. And lastly the visor stops are in place with them being self adhesive they were east to install. I'll eventually remove the earcup pile and get hold of some Neoprene foam to reline them. Would be nice if there was a easy to follow tutorial on how to reline those.

IMG_2039.JPG

IMG_2040.JPG

IMG_2041.JPG

2 hours ago, phantomfixer said:

Heck of a job… a few more pieces and it’ll look great… 

great save and upgrade/ resto..

Bayo receivers are coming in soon. and I do have the com cord and the J hook holder for the 4708 cord  But I did come into a lot of MBU-12 cut visors recently and that lot came with a 85 dated Neutral visor and alot of 87 dated clear visors(5 clear visors). Too bad I don't own a MBU-12/P mask though.

Bayonet receivers came in today and I installed them same day. And I decided to pose it with one of my masks. Here it is with the neutral visor.

IMG_2072.JPG

IMG_2073.JPG

IMG_2074.JPG

IMG_2075.JPG

And the clear visor. Just don't know what the contract date is on this as the sticker is missing So I'll assume it's a 85 dated visor.

IMG_2076.JPG

IMG_2077.JPG

IMG_2078.JPG

IMG_2079.JPG

with both visors covered. I do need to attempt to rebuild the earcup piles but I'll also definitely think about the 2 piece liner at a later time but at least once I do the piles I'll install the 4708 cord to finish that part off.

IMG_2080.JPG

phantomfixer

very nicely done...personally I like the 5/P with the 55/P...there's a story/reason....but you all are way too young for that...

looks great!

48 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

very nicely done...personally I like the 5/P with the 55/P...there's a story/reason....but you all are way too young for that...

looks great!

Not that young I was 8 years old when the HGU-55 was released to the Air Force for use in 1985.

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2023 at 2:28 PM, phantomfixer said:

looks great!

Yes the 5 p works great for all who actually wore them and in some cases, chosen over the 12 for fit issues.

My fav as well.  Nice job!!

28 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

The folks at Langley AFB still use the 5/p for their hypoxia training.. no longer using a chamber, they use the 5p as it’s easier to fit for general use…

https://www.safety.af.mil/News/Article-Display/Article/1893917/air-land-sea-robd-hypoxia-training/

My dad used the 5/P in his one and only flight in a F-15 during Red Flag 84. Flew the Star Wars Canyon route back then it was a check ride in a F-15D with him as a rear seater with the 94th.

phantomfixer
7 minutes ago, Mikeym_us said:

My dad used the 5/P in his one and only flight in a F-15 during Red Flag 84. Flew the Star Wars Canyon route back then it was a check ride in a F-15D with him as a rear seater with the 94th.

That’s cool as hell…Incentive flight??

10 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

That’s cool as hell…Incentive flight??

Yeah it was fun and games till the guy's from the 94th AGS bribed the pilot to try to get my dad to get airsick. The Pilot didn't get his monies worth my dad never got sick at all. LOL

11 minutes ago, phantomfixer said:

Our phantoms from Ramstein mighta flew against your dad at red flag

Don't know about that though. All my dad talked about was locking up a airliner in a mock intercept and then going through the Grand Canyon at full speed.