49th Inf. Scout Dog Plt. The Army's first "Airborne Dogs".

Eric Queen

Eric Queen

On August 18th, 1945, the 46th, 47th, 48th, 49th and 51st Infantry Scout Dog Platoons graduated from the War Dog Reception & Training Center at Fort Robinson, Nebraska. The next month, the 49th was sent to Camp Butner, NC to train with the 4th Infantry Division (28th HQ "Special Troops")

In early 1946, the 49th, which consisted of Lt. John M. Coulter, 17 enlisted men (including Plt. Sgt. Carl R. Reynolds) and 24 dogs (23 German Shepherds and 1 Doberman) were sent to Fort Bragg, NC for Glider Assault training with the 82nd Airborne. 

49 ISDP 20002.jpg

49 ISDP stationary.jpg

Eric Queen

In March and April of 1946, the 49th Infantry Scout Dog Platoon marched in several victory parades with the 82nd Airborne. They were the only War Dog unit to do so. 

* Chicago

* Columbia, SC

* Rocky Mount & Wilson NC

* Columbus, GA

* Washington DC

The_Herald_Sun_1946_04_01_page_10.jpg

Eric Queen

When the dogs from the 49th "marched" in these parades they wore a special dog coat which had the dogs name on it and 82nd Airborne patches on both sides. 

Here are two of the original coats from CHAMP and FELLOW

The 49th was disbanded in April the next year and the dogs were sent to Front Royal so the could be detrained and returned to civilian life. 

If anyone has any additional information regarding the 49th I would appreciate it if you would share it here. 

49 a x.jpg

82nd Dog Coat x.jpg

i was in the 199th light inf bde in viet nam, and came back to benning with the colors in oct 1970. the 49th scout dog unit was part of the 199th at that time.

• 9 months later...

Here is a 49th Scout Dog Plt Scroll I picked up recently… What patch would this have sat above and what era might this one be. .. Based on the posts above it could possibly be the 82nd patch… the scroll itself is large in width.

IMG_2236.jpeg

IMG_2237.jpeg

Eric Queen

Yes. Most believe 1950s. Possibly German made. The 48th had a scroll from the 40s but don’t believe the 49th ever did (or at least I have never seen one).