A Krag carbine from the Boxer Rebellion

Dick Hosmer

This Model 1896 carbine, serial 70210, was carried by a member of Troop "M" 6th USC at the siege of Peking in 1900. It was overhauled at Benicia Arsenal after returning to the States. There are about 60 others with the same provenance listed by Springfield Research Service.

M1896 Krag CRE70210.jpg

Dick Hosmer

A question for the members/readers:

Obviously, the carbine did not have the 32" stock and M1901C sight in China - they were done at Benicia. However, the metal is absolutely uniform in wear and color, so that MAY have been all that was done. I have a proper short stock, hand guard, band, and most importantly, a correct, original, matching finish, M1896C rear sight. I've always wondered if I should return it to its' original configuration? NO one would be able to tell. Interested in your opinion(s).

Dick-

I understand your dilemma.  It can never be 100% original as- issued again but the parts you have will make it as close to that as possible.  Keep the Benicia parts  with it for a complete story and have 2 legitimate rifles in 1!  Very nice piece indeed.

Steve

If you have a great attributed piece like that, leave it alone. The Benecia work IS a part of its service life & history - like it or not. Its easy enough to get an unattributed piece and 'make it' correct or period right. Be the 'warts and all' history preserver, not the 'wish-it-were-this' collector.' 

OD-Blue-Top

I agree with GWS.  Configure it in the way that pleases you, after all it is "your" carbine!   This is a very nice carbine with a great history.

Thanks for showing it.

James

Dick Hosmer
39 minutes ago, CAC1901 said:

If you have a great attributed piece like that, leave it alone. The Benecia work IS a part of its service life & history - like it or not. Its easy enough to get an unattributed piece and 'make it' correct or period right. Be the 'warts and all' history preserver, not the 'wish-it-were-this' collector.' 

Well, I've had it for 45+ years, and have been having this discussion with myself for almost as long!