1945 Dated Sunglasses

Johan Willaert

Johan Willaert

Picked up these sunglasses today. They are unmarked but came with the Polaroid AO 1945 marked cases you normally encounter with the M1944 Sunglasses.
There were a bunch of these and I don't doubt they came from US Army stocks; probably straight from the civilian line....

Anyone knows more?

post-92-0-14908000-1399539940.jpg

craig_pickrall

I do not have a pair like that. The temple (ear piece) really does look civilian. I have several pair that are all alike. They look like the pair shown in Ken's Doughboy to GI on page 36 or GI Collector Guide VOL 2, page 237. I also have 2 pair just like that in the same case with a 1972 date. Of the WW2 style I have one case that is marked USN. The frames on all of mine are dated by the way. The date is on the inside of the brow (sweat) bar.

Johan Willaert

They do come straight from Military surplus though and have never been on the market.

There are too many pairs to even bother starting to count them.... I'm trying to get more of them, but depend on the goodwill of the guy running the depot...

Here are the other models I have in my collection....

Sunglasses.jpg

craig_pickrall

All of them that I have look like the pair on the right side of your pic. I do have a pair of the clip on style like your's but they are dated 1949. I think the pair to the left are WAC issue. The pair at top center look large enough to be male issue too. Are they dated?

That is a great selection of sunglasses that you have.

Celluloid frames?

Where was I discussing this very subject a while back...it escapes me

Nice 'glasses. I was going to bid on some GI sunglasses a while back from an estate being auctioned. Cheap, but I passed them over as I was saving for a bayonet scabbard

To me this looks like the sort of thing done by the big surplus dealers. They have thousands of empty sun glass cases that they can't sell so they get some cheap sun glasses and put in them. This is not done to fool collectors just to move merchandise, intended for surplus stores but collectors get a hold of them and all sorts of stories begin.

the ones on the right I'd rock in Iraq...assuming they're ballistic.

very interesting items

craig_pickrall

No ballistic in that bunch, Brig. I doubt if they would stop a spit ball.