EE-8 Phone Restoration?

BrokenShovelDude

BrokenShovelDude

A couple years ago (before I truly got into collecting) I passed by a local surplus and bought a moderate condition 1952 EE-8 Field Telephone for 60 bucks (ya I think I was ripped off but.....). And for too long it collected dust in my closet.

SO- my question is, should I go about trying to restore it? I know it's been done even with pretty bad condition radios before. I looked at it after taking it out from its case and it seems that the only missing components are wires from the receiver to the box. The reciever also has a lose part but I think it's an easy fix. Other than some odd semi-transparent coating on one of the knobs (it's most likely glue), it looks like it can be restored if the wires are just replaced. Then again, I barely know anything about "antique" radios and I could be completely wrong. So in conclusion, go or no? and will it cost me an arm and leg?

Thanks

This place was listed as a source for replacement cords, so you might call and see if they're still in business:

Antique Telephone Repair and Parts

P. O. Box 429

Salome, AZ 85348-0429

(928) 859-3595

Steve Hilsz, Technician

I have a WW2 pair of those. Some dimwit cut off the inner flaps & carrying straps (ha, rhymes) & the original handset cords were replaced with a couple old red curly ones. They still work though. I got a box of Danish carrying straps a while back, so I'll see if I can make those work.

I usually see these on ebay somewhat frequently & some are a pile of parts. Check there, too. Good luck.

• 4 months later...

Are you sure that it needs repairing? I have a pair that are a little finicky but they do work and are always a kick to dig out and get working again. If you only have one, get another and enjoy. m.c.lilley