Sterling jump wings

Hello folks 

any opinion on that inverted Sterling stamping ? Genuine ww2 exemple , if yes can you tell me who’s the maker ? In advance thank you .

IMG_1947.jpeg

IMG_1946.jpeg

IMG_1945.jpeg

triplecanopy

I think you would be safe to say that your wings are from the WWII era. There is no sure way of determining who made them as many wings were just stamped STERLING. Most collectors view them as "Graduation Wings".  The upside down STERLING mark is probably from someone not paying attention and stamped it upside down like the example below.

IMG_3281.JPG

triplecanopy

These are a few more examples of STERLING Only marked jump wings. You can see that the STERLING mark is all over the place from lower left to top center to lower right. Some are slanted and others are nicely centered. Some are raised and others stamped. So just know that there are many variations of just STERLING marked wings. Happy hunting...

IMG_0655.jpg

IMG_0657.jpg

Sorry but in my opinion someone took a somewhat common post war clutch back sterling paratrooper wing made by Crest Craft and had a jeweler removed the clutch back pin and solder on a pin back assembly to basically deceive a collector into thinking they are buying a WW2 era piece when in fact they are buying a messed with post war piece.  Whomever is doing this has done it a couple of times now as they pop up for sale every now and then.   Below are photos of the wing before it was modified.  Crest Craft also made this same wing but added the hallmark of 14C with STERLING.

Basic Common CB Abundance (2).jpg

Basic Common CB Abundance (1).jpg

Crest Craft Original Card (1).jpg

Crest Craft Original Card (2).jpg

7 hours ago, Tonomachi said:

Sorry but in my opinion someone took a somewhat common post war clutch back sterling paratrooper wing made by Crest Craft and had a jeweler removed the clutch back pin and solder on a pin back assembly to basically deceive a collector into thinking they are buying a WW2 era piece when in fact they are buying a messed with post war piece.  Whomever is doing this has done it a couple of times now as they pop up for sale every now and then.   Below are photos of the wing before it was modified.  Crest Craft also made this same wing but added the hallmark of 14C with STERLING.

Basic Common CB Abundance (2).jpg

Basic Common CB Abundance (1).jpg

Crest Craft Original Card (1).jpg

Crest Craft Original Card (2).jpg

Ok thbaks sir and what’s about that one ? 

IMG_1959.jpeg

IMG_1960.jpeg

IMG_1961.jpeg

IMG_1962.jpeg

triplecanopy

As to the wings in the original post #1,  I was focused on the STERLING markings and not on the pinback fixture. Tonomachi is probably correct in his opinion that the wings were originally clutchback and the studs were removed and replaced with a pinback attaching device. It appears that solder flux is still in evidence. The wings in #8 appear to be correct.

7 minutes ago, triplecanopy said:

As to the wings in the original post #1,  I was focused on the STERLING markings and not on the pinback fixture. Tonomachi is probably correct in his opinion that the wings were originally clutchback and the studs were removed and replaced with a pinback attaching device. It appears that solder flux is still in evidence. The wings in #8 appear to be correct.

Thanks I did not notice that too , good eyes 😀 tonomachi 

Ardennes44, You might want to use the search feature and read more on jump wings. Study known originals - and not just the hallmarks but the pins, etc. When you begin to see pics of originals and get a "feeling" when looking at pics of other originals, then you might pay attention to the details of known fakes. Remember, you are looking to identify authentic wings and not how to identify the unique features of every fake. It's a trap we all fall into but in the beginning(I'm there with you) it can be a trap and lengthen the learning curve.

You don't want to have to post every single wing you see to ask others if they feel it is authentic. Then the next. Then the next.

Good luck!

ardennes44
12 minutes ago, dmar836 said:

Ardennes44, You might want to use the search feature and read more on jump wings. Study known originals - and not just the hallmarks but the pins, etc. When you begin to see pics of originals and get a "feeling" when looking at pics of other originals, then you might pay attention to the details of known fakes. Remember, you are looking to identify authentic wings and not how to identify the unique features of every fake. It's a trap we all fall into but in the beginning(I'm there with you) it can be a trap and lengthen the learning curve.

You don't want to have to post every single wing you see to ask others if they feel it is authentic. Then the next. Then the next.

Good luck!

Thanks but unfortunately in Europe many seller sold them as genuine ww2 so where to find good exemple to compare , if there is a book or files about it , I will buy it for sure 

cheers guillaume 

Perhaps one of the best resources is this forum for jump wings. I think we have some of the brightest and best airborne collectors on this site.  I won't name names, because I fear I would leave out someone, but the fellows how post here are, without a doubt, some of the best experts in this area.  Like dmar836 said, use the search function and you will find all sorts of examples and discussions.

Good luck

Patrick