Wounded at Gettysburg First Delaware, Co. I, interesting period medical document

Hello all,

I hope this thread finds you well.

A recently acquired document for a Delaware veteran. I was fortunate to stumble on this shortly after it was listed. Found a good amount of material on him on Newspapers.com. I hope you enjoy this glimpse into the past of a Delaware Vet who saw service in some major battles.

Best wishes to all,

Joe

obverse001LO.jpg

reverse001LO.jpg

Benjamin Dougherty (1843-1931) - Find a Grave Memorial.jpg

headstone.jpeg

obit.jpeg

obit2.jpeg

photo.jpeg

The_Morning_News_Thu__Mar_5__1931_.jpg

The_News_Journal_Thu__Mar_5__1931_.jpg

USCapturephotos

They were brigaded with my great great grandfather in the 12th NJ Vols….both are great 2nd Corps units.

Paul

aerialbridge

Nice to see you collecting and  posting again, Joe, and not something for sale from your amazing collection (which made me sincerely sad to see). 

On 4/19/2023 at 4:46 PM, cutiger83 said:

Joe,

Very nice! Congrats!

My best to you......Kat

Hi Kat! I hope you're doing well. Thank you for stopping by, it's always appreciated. I'm still gathering Delaware stuff up so far as I can afford! Getting closer to full retirement every day! Take care my friend! ---- Joe

On 4/19/2023 at 5:15 PM, USCapturephotos said:

They were brigaded with my great great grandfather in the 12th NJ Vols….both are great 2nd Corps units.

Paul

Hi Paul! That's excellent information. I'm glad to have this to add as an addendum to my research. Thank you for stopping by! ---- Joe

22 hours ago, tdogchristy90 said:

Great presentation Joe! 

Thank you TD! It makes me glad I posted it. I truly appreciate my fellow USMF members reading my posts. ---   Joe

21 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Nice to see you collecting and  posting again, Joe, and not something for sale from your amazing collection (which made me sincerely sad to see). 

Hello AB, So nice to see you stopping by. Thank you for your kind words. Honestly I'm glad I downsized and moved much of my collection, plus the cash was really needed at that time. My only deep regrets were the last two items I sold, as well as my cased Dewey a few years back. But such is life, they were there to help me when I needed it most. I still have many of the items I care about and will try to add to them (judiciously) when I can.

I'm pleased that I can finally add to the Forum's archives again (like the "old days") instead of using it as an outlet for selling. This is a great place and I hope it will continue on indefinitely. Best wishes ---- Joe

aerialbridge

Joe, I'm sorry to hear you sold your cased USS Concord Dewey Medal.  Remember we were bidding against each other on his campaign medals, as we discovered later?    As I recall, besides the Dewey, you won his Mexico and Span Am.   I ended up with his Phil. Campaign #1941, which is my only original first type ribbon Phil. medal.  I forget the guys name, but I have it recorded somewhere. 

M24 Chaffee

That is a very cool piece of ACW history! Nice addition!

Frank

17 hours ago, aerialbridge said:

Joe, I'm sorry to hear you sold your cased USS Concord Dewey Medal.  Remember we were bidding against each other on his campaign medals, as we discovered later?    As I recall, besides the Dewey, you won his Mexico and Span Am.   I ended up with his Phil. Campaign #1941, which is my only original first type ribbon Phil. medal.  I forget the guys name, but I have it recorded somewhere. 

Hi AB! I believe you are right on it being a Concord Dewey, but I don't recall any other pieces listed unless the seller sold them before I was aware, which is quite possible. I'm sure that I didn't have his Mex and SAW. If I did I know would have kept the whole group...ha! The only group I remember with a lot of hot bidding was the Tabor USMC group (2013). I got his amazing multi-bar GCM with Ext of Enlistment bar, his Haitian and (post ebay) his Mexican (from George Harris who sold it to me for what he paid, eternally thankful to him for that) along with some of his nice ribbon bar racks. His Dominican (6621) and Expeditionary (2891) went crazy high (for 10 years ago) and I was outbid at the end. I'm still on the lookout for them :)

My best to you!

Joe

• 4 months later...