1930s coat?

kristopher5502

kristopher5502

Hello, I recently got this coat at an auction that came as part of a WWII uniform lot. I have never seen anything quite like it. I thought that if might be in Stanton's Doughboy to GI reference book, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea what it might be. Thanks

DSC03074.jpg

DSC03067.jpg

DSC03068.jpg

DSC03075.jpg

DSC03069.jpg

DSC03071.jpg

DSC03072.jpg

DSC03073.jpg

kristopher5502
CCC?

Hmmmm....interesting considering the Civilian Conservation Corp was quasi-military and uniformed by the government. I did a quick google image search of the CCC and may have found this coat but it's difficult to tell. I would appreciate your opinion on this photo and any other CCC images the definitely shows this example.

H-163.jpg

Look at the guy towards the middle of the front row. His coat is buttoned and it appears to have the same number of buttons as mine and side pockets like mine.

kristopher5502

This coat is cut in a civilian style and yet it is contracted by the government and made from OD wool. I think you're probably right about it being used by the CCC.

Would anyone have the slightest clue of its value? I'm only knowledgeable on military uniforms...not CCC issued clothing.

Also remember this could be a re-tailored between the wars trenchcoat , there was a depression on, and folks didn't waste much...

vintageproductions

This is another shot in a different direction. It could be Japanese. At the end of the war Japanese tailors took thier uniforms and made civilian clothing out of them. The eye hook, the wool, and the buttons definately have a Japanese look to them. Was any of the other items from a vet that served in the Occupation period in Japan?

kristopher5502
This is another shot in a different direction. It could be Japanese. At the end of the war Japanese tailors took thier uniforms and made civilian clothing out of them. The eye hook, the wool, and the buttons definately have a Japanese look to them. Was any of the other items from a vet that served in the Occupation period in Japan?

The grouping did not contain items that were from the occupation period in Japan and I'm pretty sure this isn't a tailored Japanese uniform. The tag is marked Phila Q. M. depot...I'm pretty sure we didn't make uniforms for the Japanese that would have been tailored by them later.

On another note...if this was a tailored WWI trench coat...wouldn't the tag state it was an overcoat or something. I thought that the depots wrote the nomenclature of the item on the white tag (i.e. coat, mackinaw, OD or coat, wool serge 18 oz or overcoat, wool, OD). Since it doesn't state any nomenclature...its probably not military issue since it doesn't follow any military style or regulations. It was however issued to government workers...hence the government contract. This is of course just a theory of mine. Everyone's insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just found an old post just like mine that has since been moved to the reference section. This thread contains a jacket identical to mine and the thread is entitled "Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) uniform. I apologize for bringing up the same question, but I absolutely no idea what this was and would have never found it in the reference section until I knew it was possibly a CCC uniform.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1318

General Apathy

post-344-1236785350.jpg

Hello, I recently got this coat at an auction that came as part of a WWII uniform lot. I have never seen anything quite like it. I thought that if might be in Stanton's Doughboy to GI reference book, but no luck. Does anyone have an idea what it might be. Thanks

Hi Kristopher and fellow members.

The jacket is totally American in manufacture and use, o.k. the buttons are incorrect and possibly added to be worn post service in the CCC Corp.

The information as to what this jacket is, is in the manufacturers contract details, shown at the end of the contract number is E.C.W., this stood for Emergency Conservation Work act instigated by Roosevelt helping to get people back to work from the depression of the thirties. ;)

For more information on the E.C.W. and C.C.C please click on the link below. think.gif

http://www.flickr.com/photos/32912172@N00/3133665639/

Cheers ( Lewis )

Also please note that Stanton ( mentioned above ) was not the author of the 'Doughboy to G.I.' reference book :lol:

vintageproductions
The grouping did not contain items that were from the occupation period in Japan and I'm pretty sure this isn't a tailored Japanese uniform. The tag is marked Phila Q. M. depot...I'm pretty sure we didn't make uniforms for the Japanese that would have been tailored by them later.

On another note...if this was a tailored WWI trench coat...wouldn't the tag state it was an overcoat or something. I thought that the depots wrote the nomenclature of the item on the white tag (i.e. coat, mackinaw, OD or coat, wool serge 18 oz or overcoat, wool, OD). Since it doesn't state any nomenclature...its probably not military issue since it doesn't follow any military style or regulations. It was however issued to government workers...hence the government contract. This is of course just a theory of mine. Everyone's insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks

I just found an old post just like mine that has since been moved to the reference section. This thread contains a jacket identical to mine and the thread is entitled "Civilian Conservation Corp (CCC) uniform. I apologize for bringing up the same question, but I absolutely no idea what this was and would have never found it in the reference section until I knew it was possibly a CCC uniform.

http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/ind...?showtopic=1318

The first time I looked at this listing the QM tag photo did not load.

kristopher5502

Thanks General Apathy...pointing out what the E.C.W. meant on the manufacture's tag was a big help!