How should i frame WW1 and WW2 FLAG PENNANTS?!?

FightenIrish35

FightenIrish35

Hello everybody...

I am wondering about how to display two pennants that I have one is from ww1 and one is a 306th inf pennant....there 2 of my favorite items....right now i have tem in about a 32 by 25 in plastic frame and the back i filled with acid free tissue paper as the backround...it jsut doesnt look very profesional with all the white showing in the back....Anyone ever come across Pennant holders that are able to display on the wall...i dont want the plastic fleible type because i can damage the pennant tryin to slip it in. Thanks for any help and ideas,tips,etc.Always appreciate it! salute.gif

If they mean that much to you, I would have them custom framed with acid-free materials, ensuring that they are matted to keep the flag off of a glass or plastic surface. If the painted parts stick to the glass over time, it's game over.

-Ski

One good solution I've seen, other than framing properly, is to display them hanging down - using the pole side of the flag with a rod through it. It looks nice and has the advantage of being inexpensive - assuming they aren't displayed in a room that has a lot of tobacco or other smoke in it constantly.

In any case NEVER ever any sunlight on them, regardless.

FightenIrish35

Eric- I may just have to do the customize framing as its something I would really want done,would you happen to know how much it may run?

Bluehawk-Thanks for the tips and the clever idea. My room that i have my items setup in I allow no smoking and also keep the blinds closed.Unfortantly the two pennants I have dont have the loops....the 306th does still have its strings to attach onto something but I really dont want to start messing around and attempt to tie them afraid taht it may tear or worst fall off :(

I am attaching a few images so you can get a visualization of what I have them like now

post-3581-1236698063.jpg

Bluehawk-Thanks for the tips and the clever idea. My room that i have my items setup in I allow no smoking and also keep the blinds closed.Unfortantly the two pennants I have dont have the loops....the 306th does still have its strings to attach onto something but I really dont want to start messing around and attempt to tie them afraid taht it may tear or worst fall off :(

I am attaching a few images so you can get a visualization of what I have them like now

What museums do, in such cases, is to carefully sew (yes, they DO sew onto artifacts, all the time) a neutral linen backing to the object, and then suspend it from the back so that gravity has no effect.

Framing is nice too, if done properly - which can cost a fair amount when you need a mat - which you will for the pennants.

What I sometimes do is get my own neutral/acid-free backing board, and some sort of stock frame of about the right size, and then pay a framer to cut the top mat for me. Unless you do feel able to cut mats (quite a skill actually), then this is a way to save mucho dinero.

If you just want to take it in to a framer of some kind, then try Hobby Lobby or Michael's - their framing is not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than the usual frame shops... and they know all about acid-free, UV filtering glass and yadda yadda yadda.

I like the framing route myself but, as Bluehawk stated this can be very pricey! Last item I had framed professionally with acid free backing and UV glass cost me nearly $200.00. If your handy, go to Hobby Lobby(if you have one near you) and buy the frame, have them cut the UV glass for it, and buy an acid free backing. You can put this together yourself for as little as $75.00 depending on how extravagant you go on the frame. I find a simple black frame is best and puts the item out as the centerpiece and not the frame. Whatever you do, get those pennants out of that poster frame! Those frames work great for paper items but are lousy for fabric items. Short term is OK long term... bad idea.

FightenIrish35

Thanks guys!!! I jst rushed up stairs and saved them from the poster frame lol....I think that I have a project for this weekend now! Thanks for the ideas guys...if for some reason the handyman cant complete this project Ill go down thr framing path. Hopefully I cant do this and Ill post images when I finish. Appreciate it guys! hug.gif

• 2 months later...
gsmilligan
What museums do, in such cases, is to carefully sew (yes, they DO sew onto artifacts, all the time) a neutral linen backing to the object, and then suspend it from the back so that gravity has no effect.

Framing is nice too, if done properly - which can cost a fair amount when you need a mat - which you will for the pennants.

What I sometimes do is get my own neutral/acid-free backing board, and some sort of stock frame of about the right size, and then pay a framer to cut the top mat for me. Unless you do feel able to cut mats (quite a skill actually), then this is a way to save mucho dinero.

If you just want to take it in to a framer of some kind, then try Hobby Lobby or Michael's - their framing is not cheap, but it's a LOT cheaper than the usual frame shops... and they know all about acid-free, UV filtering glass and yadda yadda yadda.

It's worth the money, imho.

Here is a sewn-to-the-backing WWI pennant, UV glass, etc. as above. Matches nicely with the 77th one pictured above.

IMG_0596.jpg

BTW, Irish, you look out for 27th items for me and I'll look out for 77th items for you!!

I follow the same advice as Bluehawk, based on a museum curator I know.

I built display boxes for my captured flags, and always hang them by the pole sleeves. If they don't have sleeves, I take them to the curator, and he sews on a sleeve using unbleached muslim (I think ... getting too old to remember all the details).

Here's a picture of a displayed flag in a box I've built. Sorry for the glare:

post-2144-1242362733.jpg

Here's a close-up of an added pole sleeve:

post-2144-1242362745.jpg

Thanks,

Tim

FightenIrish35

Great advice and great displays guys. Thanks very much this will help me decide what I am going to do with my pennants! thumbsup.gif