Named 28th ID M-1917

TrevorR

Well I picked this helmet up off Baystate Militaria from their most recent update. There was no mention of a name but decided I would get it anyways. I'm Starting to look for only WWI 28th ID items.

Well the helmet arrived yesterday and I began to look over the entire helmet for a name just in case. Well there was a a name on the leather chin strap. "Joseph Wehner" I began looking through the collection of 28th Division History books and found one soldier with that name. He was listed as Co. A, 111th Infantry regiment.

Joseph Wehner was born on April 9, 1896 to Clement Wehner and Anna Klopfer. Wehner enlisted in the US Army on April 18, 1917 and was assigned to Co. A, 111th Infantry Regiment, 28th Infantry Division. He arrived In France on May 5, 1918. During his time over seas he took part in Oise-Aisne, Champagne-Marne, Aisne-Marne and Meuse Argonne Campaigns. At some point during the war Pfc. Wehner and two others rescued a wounded Captain that was exposed to MG fire. For these actions he was provided a Silver Star Citation.  Around the end of October 1918, Wehner was transferred to  the 28th MP Co. until discharged from the Army.  Pfc. Wehner arrived back in the US on April 29, 1919 and was discharged from service on May 19, 1919. 

IMG-2745.jpg

IMG-2754.jpg

IMG-2753.jpg

IMG-2752.jpg

IMG-2757.jpg

IMG-2756.jpg

IMG-2755.jpg

M24 Chaffee

That’s very cool! Helmet is in nice condition and you have the history and photo of the soldier! Congratulations!

Frank