M1 GARAND BAYONET FOR REVIEW

L11-VELASCO

L11-VELASCO

Dear folks

Im thinking to purchase a M1 GARAND bayonet to complet an WW2 US display and then what about this set please ...is a period one including the scabard???

Thanks in advance

Fernando

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (1).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (2).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (3).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (4).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (5).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (6).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (7).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (8).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (9).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (10).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery (11).jpg

bayonet-m1-garand-utica-cutlery.jpg

L11-VELASCO
5 hours ago, hyrax222 said:

UC made M1 bayonets in WW2 and again in 1953.

hyrax222

Do you suggest this one I posted could be made too from 1953??

L11-VELASCO
3 minutes ago, hyrax222 said:

UC let a contracts for 750,000 M1 bayonets in WW2 and 75,000 in 1953, per Gary Cunningham.

hyrax222

Then impossible to know if the one from thread was WW2 or 1953?

The only way to know if you have a 1953 UC, is if you have it in the original box.  It's impossible to know which is which.  They are the same.  Therefore, it is of little concern.

Marv

26 minutes ago, Misfit 45 said:

The only way to know if you have a 1953 UC, is if you have it in the original box.  It's impossible to know which is which.  They are the same.  Therefore, it is of little concern.

Marv

What Marv said....

hyrax222

L11-VELASCO

Please let me your thoughts about if is a WW2 one genuine set with this one that would be cheaper than the other before 

Thanks in advance 

Fernando 

1.jpg

DSCN9906.jpg

DSCN9907.jpg

DSCN9908.jpg

DSCN9909.jpg

DSCN9910.jpg

DSCN9911.jpg

DSCN9905.jpg

The PAL M1 you show is a WWII bayonet.  It is not in as good shape as the UC, However, the PAL is much more rare.  You will notice that it has a 1943 date.  Your UC does not have the date.  If I were you, I would buy it quickly.

Marv

L11-VELASCO
10 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

The PAL M1 you show is a WWII bayonet.  It is not in as good shape as the UC, However, the PAL is much more rare.  You will notice that it has a 1943 date.  Your UC does not have the date.  If I were you, I would buy it quickly.

Marv

About the scabbard from these pics I could not see this US mark that I saw fro example on the UC one and I wonder if was possible find the scabbards without this US mark??

I can't quite tell from the pictures, but most likely, the scabbard had been painted a few times which covered the markings on the metal.

Marv

L11-VELASCO
59 minutes ago, Misfit 45 said:

I can't quite tell from the pictures, but most likely, the scabbard had been painted a few times which covered the markings on the metal.

Marv

Do you suggest this painting a few times on period or postwar job?? 

L11-VELASCO
7 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

Marv

I received a new pic and it looks that appears US marking and then could be repainted postwar or period... Is possible to know it?? 

DSCN0230.jpg

The scabbard could have been painted at any time during or after WWII.  The bayonet could have served, not only in WWII, but Korea as well.  After that some were in Vietnam and some went to the US National Guard. Some went all over the world.  The most common thought is that a bayonet like the M1 could have had many different scabbards during its service.

Marv

L11-VELASCO
10 hours ago, Misfit 45 said:

The scabbard could have been painted at any time during or after WWII.  The bayonet could have served, not only in WWII, but Korea as well.  After that some were in Vietnam and some went to the US National Guard. Some went all over the world.  The most common thought is that a bayonet like the M1 could have had many different scabbards during its service.

Marv

Although is clear would be impossible to know when was the scabbard painted otherwise I think the bayonet itself (for the maker and 1943 year marked) would be it a good starting but do you think the pricing 163 EUR with shipping  may be  expensive for the US folks collectors...??? 

Thanks 

Fernando,

Today, the 163 EUR price is about $175.60.  Is that a good price?  That's the question.  The answer depends on what you want.  Your original post says you want to complete a WWII display.  The UC M1 is in better condition than the PAL M1 (1943).  So the UC would look better in the display.  What is more important to you?  Would you prefer a good condition M1 bayonet or a rare bayonet that has some small damage to the blade?  Both would look good in a display, but the UC would look better. 

If you really want a PAL 1943, then the price is not too high, since you will not find another one for a while.  If it were in mint condition, the price could go as high a $300 or even a little more.  Condition is everything when it comes to price. You said that the UC was a little higher in price.   I don't know how hard it is to find M1 bayonets in Spain, but you should be able to find a UC or UFH, or one of the other manufacturers in the same condition for $125 to $150.  If you can't, then buy the PAL.  If you find a nice M1 later, then you might be able to trade for it.  As for me, as a bayonet collector, I would buy the PAL.  If I simply wanted a display piece to go with some patches, photos, medals etc.  the UC, or even a better condition M1 would be my choice.  Hope this helps.

Marv