Greetings! New member here

FL123

Greetings, I stumbled upon this forum while searching the internet for information on the old Vietnam era tiger stripe patterns.  I am glad I found this place! I have a small collection of what I would call working man’s collectibles, Items that are a little beat up and sometimes not completely original.  Things such as sporterized m1903A3 rifles and faded camo boonie hats.  I like to put my collection to work regularly. Nothing expensive for me, but it all functions!  I enjoy history especially US military history due to having family that served for many generations back..  My strongest interest is in WWII era aviation, being a pilot I love that stuff.  

eaglerunner88

Welcome! There are some phenomenal WWII aviation collections on here as well as a wealth of knowledgeable folk. What do you fly?

Thanks! I fly a variety of rented single engine prop planes, my favorite being the Piper J-3 Cub and modern versions of it.  Nothing quite compares to flying with the door open low and slow!  Always a blast. 

LawrenceEgerton
On 3/19/2023 at 4:19 AM, FL123 said:

Greetings, I stumbled upon this forum while searching the internet for information on the old Vietnam era tiger stripe patterns.  I am glad I found this place! I have a small collection of what I would call working man’s collectibles, Items that are a little beat up and sometimes not completely original.  Things such as sporterized m1903A3 rifles and faded camo boonie hats.  I like to put my collection to work regularly. Nothing expensive for me, but it all functions!  I essay history especially US military history due to having family that served for many generations back..  My strongest interest is in WWII era aviation, being a pilot I love that stuff.  

Hey there, I've read your post again and you caught my interest.
It's really interesting to hear about your small collection of working man's collectibles. I think it's cool that you have a variety of items that may not be completely original, but still hold historical value.
It's also impressive that you put your collection to work regularly, nice.

As a pilot, I'm sure you have a unique perspective on WWII era aviation. I'd love to hear more about your interest in this particular aspect of military history. Have you ever flown any vintage planes or studied the engineering behind them?
I would be glad to receive any answer, thanks!

L

5 hours ago, LawrenceEgerton said:

Hey there, I've read your post again and you caught my interest.
It's really interesting to hear about your small collection of working man's collectibles. I think it's cool that you have a variety of items that may not be completely original, but still hold historical value.
It's also impressive that you put your collection to work regularly, nice.

As a pilot, I'm sure you have a unique perspective on WWII era aviation. I'd love to hear more about your interest in this particular aspect of military history. Have you ever flown any vintage planes or studied the engineering behind them?
I would be glad to receive any answer, thanks!

Hey! Thank you for your interest.  As far as my working collection goes my favorite piece is a Remington 

model 1903A3 rifle with a 1943 manufacture date.  The original stock was replaced with a more modern, shorter, lightweight hunting rifle type stock before I got it.  I only noticed it on the rack in a store because of the military armory mark on the receiver that just happened to catch my eye.  A completely original example, being out of my price range, I jumped on it.  The receiver and barrel were in excellent shape, only a little wear to the finish and couple light surface rust spots.  The rifle still had adjustable rear aperture sight (I believe that is the correct name).   I did decide to have a scope mounted to make use of the 03’s well regarded accuracy. I wasn’t disappointed!   Other notable working items that I love are a boonie hat and jacket in 3 color desert camo pattern (AKA chocolate chip

pattern) ‘83 and ‘84 manufacture respectively.  For some reason I just love that pattern and wear those frequently despite that it offers me little help blending in with the very green Florida woods.  

My interest in the Second World War comes from having a grandfather who served in the Navy in both Europe and the Pacific.  He was a mine disposal man and later was a member of Naval Demolition Unit No. 1 which participated in Operation Husky, the allied invasion of Sicily.   I always knew he was in the Navy but he died before I was born.  I learned that he was a part of NDU 1 on a visit to the Navy Seal Museum when I by chance found his name in a unit roster.  That was a very cool surprise! 

I also had grand uncle who was a pilot in WW2.  I never met him either and his service record was mostly destroyed in a fire at the national archives.  So when I requested that record I was only able to read that he started flight training.   My own dad was an Army helicopter pilot so growing up I always loved aviation.  WW2 aviation specially interests me because family history, amazing aircraft, and the incredible stories of brave pilots during that time when flying was still fairly new.  

I’ve been a private pilot for just a couple years now and flying vintage WW2 military aircraft is definitely on my bucket list. The only vintage aircraft I’ve flown from the period thus far was a Piper J3 cub, which after one flight became my favorite airplane.  Most of my studying is limited to just what a pilot needs to know plus some historical info for enjoyment.  

Hopefully some of that is interesting! 
There are probably many typos due to writing this on my phone.   

I would love to hear about your interests and collection as well!