Current Projects USAF & ANG HGU-55

rje71

I usually am just lurking, but hoping to post more going forward.  

Here are a couple of my current projects,  first is a HGU-55 that I am planning on displaying as FB-111A used circa late 80's.  It is pretty much complete needing a power cable for the PLTZ goggles and also the mask needs to have it's hardshell replaced.  I was happy with this find and is the second SAC HGU-55 in my collection. 

And the second is a shell I have had probably from the late 80's, when put back together ( needs a lot of the internals ) will be as worn by A-10 pilot from the 104th TFG MA ANG.  That is where I got this from back those years ago. 

Robert

IMG_20230317_184843900_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230317_184915067.jpg

IMG_20230317_185031115_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230317_185104433_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230317_185208144_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230317_185237785_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230317_185247301_HDR.jpg

phantomfixer

Excellent projects.. the dual visor is killer…

and the A-10 helmet will be a good frame off restoration… 

If you want to spruce up the large visor washers. They are "#8 Tinnerman washers". any aircraft hardware outlet should have them.

Both look like great projects.

This PLZT -55/P is a killer, it reminds me a lot of my example with its painted bayonet receivers (for which I had to grab a mask power cord as well - here you can find one), cool projects !

Also, thanks Bob for the washers' nomenclature.

I knew these were aeronautical for sure, but was never been able to find their exact denomination (and size) to order them.

A French forum member that works in the flight hardware range had sent me some similar-looking countersunk washers for my B-52 helmet's PRU-36/P restoration, but they actually ended up a little too wide.

A side note to my post here I just learned that Tom S (mohawkalse) passed away last month, is very sad and unfortunate to hear. 🙁 

I was hoping to share and show these projects to him. 

Thank to you all for the responses ! 

Was able to order the power cord from Flighthelmets as you said VARK07 ! Thank you , hopefully it will arrive this week ... Also a replacement 5P hardshell as well. 

Unfortunately they were all out of the o2 mask com cord keepers so I will be on the look out for those.  

Was happy to get the package from flight helmets yesterday, it did arrive quickly. Unfortunately I didn't realize that the only hardshell's for the MBU5p they had were black instead of green, so I am back to the drawing board trying to locate the correct green hardshell...🫤

That's too bad. The pic on their site is quite misleading, to be honest.

Now, if you ever need a german helmet someday for your collection (Gueneau 316, HGU-2A/P(G), HGU-55/G), this black hardshell could still be of use ;).

I have a 12p mask that could be built to pair with it.  Can see what parts I can gather for it. I have the mask and the comm cord so that is better then nothing to start with 🙂

I didn't realize that the only hardshell's for the MBU5p they had were black instead of green, so I am back to the drawing board trying to locate the correct green hardshell...🫤

what size are you needing? - green hardshell

Spray paint it? I also have an MBU-5/P, regular narrow, that is cracked. I am trying to decide about replacing the shell, and trying a repair. If I go new then I'm in a similar situation to the OP.

This one has large pieces missing, so not really able to repair it... But the correct one has been found for me now, so I should be all set with any luck ! 

• 1 month later...
On 3/26/2023 at 8:01 PM, rje71 said:

Thank to you all for the responses ! 

Was able to order the power cord from Flighthelmets as you said VARK07 ! Thank you , hopefully it will arrive this week ... Also a replacement 5P hardshell as well. 

Unfortunately they were all out of the o2 mask com cord keepers so I will be on the look out for those.  

I was lucky to snag the mask power cable for my mask as it came with the 4707 cord only paid $100 for the pair. I still need the helmet power cord though for my project helmet. And I also got hold of a HGU-55 helmet recently too.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:18 PM, rje71 said:

AMT500E

I would need a Regular Narrow 

You actually might be able to get away with a regular wide hardshell. Or you could airbrush the black hardshell Olive Drab.

• 4 weeks later...

Sure that might work as well .... ! 

I have other mbu5p that I need to bring up to complete status so will keep that in mind .. 

Small update, have made some progress,   

Now I need to staring adding the guts to the straight up 55p, this shell I have had since the late 80's and is genuine A-10..   

Visor housing will be going off to have correct paint & squadron markings added to replicate a Plattsburgh pilot's helmet as a tribute to his military career. 

IMG_20230610_105700354_HDR.jpg

IMG_20230610_105715451.jpg