Vietnam Era W49 Western Bowie Knife

Road King

I recently came across a good, I believe Vietnam era W49 Bowie. This knife has all the right wear for a knife carried in Nam. What brought me to this knife was the carving on the sheath showing a Plam tree and the words VIETNAM under the tree. The words Vietnam are separated by a 5 point star. After getting the knife home I found a name engraved on the blade.

DICK LEACH

HHC 5BN  12INF

I have done a little research and found a Dick Leach that did 3 tours in Vietnam 1967-69. He passed away in 2013. This could have been his knife?

The person I got the knife from told me he buys box lots from auctions that they get from estate sales.

I am hoping that someone on this site can confirm my feelings on this knife. 

W49, 1.jpg

W49, 2.jpg

W49, 3.jpg

W49, 4.jpg

W49, 5.jpg

Im not sure but I believe that blade marking dates It to 1964 - 1967 so It may fit youre time frame . Very cool knife , congratulations . 

After seeing a lot of these on knife forums it's nice to see a legit one that isn't a newer model repro or that horrid version from Pakistan. Great find.

You have a second version of the BOWIE marked W49 along with what is likely a first version swing line sheath.  If you can post a picture of the back of the sheath I should be able to narrow it down.

The earliest I've seen this knife with the earliest swing line sheath is the late spring to fall or end of 1967.  I have testimony from 3 different Vietnam Vets with this same knife/sheath that bought their's during that time frame. I presently own one of them.

1 hour ago, sactroop said:

You have a second version of the BOWIE marked W49 along with what is likely a first version swing line sheath.  If you can post a picture of the back of the sheath I should be able to narrow it down.

The earliest I've seen this knife with the earliest swing line sheath is the late spring to fall or end of 1967.  I have testimony from 3 different Vietnam Vets with this same knife/sheath that bought their's during that time frame. I presently own one of them.

Thanks sactroop, here is a photo of the back of the sheath.

W49, 6.jpg

Thanks Road King, what I'm seeing is the second version of the swing line sheath.  It's possible that it is a replacement  sheath or that at least some of the second version W49's may have been shipped with this style sheath.  It wasn't unusual for these sheaths to fair rather poorly in the harsh conditions of Vietnam and Western did replace more than a few.