Heat Stamp - number after letter

FrankieCzech

FrankieCzech

Hello.
I would like to ask about this type of Heat Stamp. Why is the number after the letter? According to the first double number it should be a 1942 production, probably McCord. The helmet has fixed bails. Thank you for your answers.

37CC0784-2EAF-46E8-A160-B5A83AC6F9BE.jpeg

C54313EB-8860-4855-9665-3C6B835F537E.jpeg

Yep, that's an early war McCord, though it's likely saw use post WWII based on the repaints. I'm not sure If I've ever seen a reason as to why some early McCords had a number after the letter. Maybe someone else who knows will chime in but it's a thing you sometimes see on earlier McCord helmets.

Here's a good article on lot numbers if you want some reading https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1065/6146/files/MC_H_Vol_70_No3_M1_Helmet_Lot_Nos.pdf?3737742651470471381

Burning Hazard

Arghhh, another M1 that had visor paint scrubbed to reveal heat stamp, it's a dreadful sight (No, I'm not saying OP did it to this particular helmet, just a general expression when I see these out there on eBay and other places).

If there are any new collectors on here reading this, please do not remove paint for heat stamps, it does not change the value of the helmet in any way or form.

Pat

FrankieCzech
48 minutes ago, Burning Hazard said:

Arghhh, another M1 that had visor paint scrubbed to reveal heat stamp, it's a dreadful sight (No, I'm not saying OP did it to this particular helmet, just a general expression when I see these out there on eBay and other places).

If there are any new collectors on here reading this, please do not remove paint for heat stamps, it does not change the value of the helmet in any way or form.

Pat

I see, I got it in this condition.

Lot and lift numbers with another number after the lift letter indicate a test and or experiment.

Tests and experiments ranged from altering or testing manufacturing processes to alternatives in steel making.

For example let's pretend Ordnance wants to see how notches left on the edge of the helmet after being trimmed with nicked trimming dies contributes to post manufacture cracking. The control or helmet made by current standard would be (32A), (32A 1) could be helmets they grind the edges smooth and (32A 2) could be notches left in place but with an annealing process to the edge to relax the residual stress in the helmet. They would then compare how each helmet does or does not crack in comparison to the standard.

This is the way Ordnance tested processes and made changes to better the helmet and the process of making them. Ordnance records clearly indicate that this type of testing is what the numbers indicate unfortunately, without actual records of the tests it is impossible to know what was being tested.

That's always been my belief on those heat stamps but I wasn't aware that there are ordnance records that prove that.

• 3 weeks later...

I just received an early fixed bale with a lot number of 39B 2 I was wondering if these helmets with another number after the letter would have been issued out to units for the trials or would they have been held at the factory for observation?